Proposal: Answering Questions on the Wiki https://endless-sphere.com/w

amberwolf

Administrator
Staff member
Phoenix, AZ, USA, Earth, Sol, Local Bubble, Orion
We get lots of the same questions over and over again, which mostly can be answered with the same exact answer, or very close, or which must be answered with a slew of questions because there isn't enough info.

So, for each person that normally answers such things, rather than using your time to answer a specific thread's question like this, in future, I propose that instead you spend your time writing the answer as a Wiki article, in the ES Wiki:
https://endless-sphere.com/w
and then post a link to your article in the thread asking the question, with a recommendation that they first read the article, then come back with specific questions not answered there.

Right now, lots of us could be writng up wiki articles based on various subjects we know, or garnering good info out of really long threads and making a concise article in the wiki about it. But there is not much time to do that after spending sometimes hours each day answering the same old quesitons over and over again.

How about it? Will you donate your time to the wiki and future help of everyone? Or just keep answering the same things over and over again. ;)

Excellent idea.

If you can find where you've answered it before, simply copy/paste into the wiki article.

And...my first one:
http://www.endless-sphere.com/w/index.php/Contact_Types_(applies_to_all)
(also added sections for switches, contactors, and relays, though I haven't had time to make them yet)

Funny you should say that.
I put a few very little, but non technical bits there the other day about Controller front end PSU's..only jottings really

http://www.endless-sphere.com/w/index.php/Brushless

I'd write some sections if my username and password would actually work for the wiki.

Login error
You have not specified a valid username.

Hopefully MRVass will have a fix for that soon.

More wikied answers:
http://www.endless-sphere.com/w/index.php/FET_troubleshooting

As I have found, I started to create a Google doc, that I would have transferred to the wiki, I posted to at least three people plus put up a link on a thread, asking for comments with regard to it..does it make sense, can you understand, etc etc not one response to help me improve it, so it is easy to see why people do not bother to upload stuff i was trying to but got no feedback, so it is difficult

I don't recall ever seeing the topic. :(

Best is just to post the wiki article, as it can be edited easily enough (easier to correct errors than writing it from scratch); commenting can be done right there in the wiki "talk" page, as that is how wikis are designed to be used. :)

If all discussion about the article has to be done on other sites than the wiki, it makes it harder to have to go to one site (ES Forum) to discuss it, another (GD or ES Wiki) to input it or edit it or read it, another (ES Forum/etc) to research it, etc. If it can all (or most) be done on one place (ES Wiki), it would be easier. It also keeps the revision history of the article all in one place, as sometimes there is very good information left out of the final article that may well be applicable to some other article, or good to create it's own, and that can simply be copied over from that revision history or wiki discussion to another Wiki article.

FWIW: I typically can't access Google docs or vids or whatever, as the latest browser versions that I can use on either of my systems (for various reasons) are too old to be compatible with all their features. Since Google doesn't want to deal with troubleshooting, they just give error messages that I need to upgrade my browser and disable the whole page, preventing even viewing it. Some of their pages, like Gmail, have a "nobrowsercheck" function that lets me at least access the page, even if all the features don't work the basic stuff still does. I doubt most poeple have this problem, but some others probably do.

(I used to have a laptop that I could use newer browsers on, but it has a power connector problem that requires complete disassembly to fix (an all day job), and with two other working computers it is not priority enough to deal with, vs everythign else I have to do.)

amberwolf said:
I don't recall ever seeing the topic. :(

I did not help myself in a way, but what I did, I did for a reason. I sent only to people that did not understand in the first place. My thinking being, that getting someone to try and read it, that already understands will 'fill in the blanks' them selves on what I wrote, where as someone that I am trying to explain to for the first time will have to ask if they do not understand.

AlanB then did a more brief version on the wiki...so I left it at that.
http://www.endless-sphere.com/w/index.php/Determining_the_Wiring_for_a_Brushless_Motor

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1w8mTX5H5K8VJ8s12ECVcKFJLNEsTCLT4hHwfXD44y-s/edit?pli=1

NeilP said:
My thinking being, that getting someone to try and read it, that already understands will 'fill in the blanks' them selves on what I wrote, where as someone that I am trying to explain to for the first time will have to ask if they do not understand.
That is a very good point I hadn't thought of.

Ypedal said:
el_walto said:
I'd write some sections if my username and password would actually work for the wiki.

Login error
You have not specified a valid username.

probably the underscore " _ " in you username.. this has come up before with other non A~Z 0~9 characters...
Any news on this this I can't login to the wiki yet

amberwolf said:
NeilP said:
My thinking being, that getting someone to try and read it, that already understands will 'fill in the blanks' them selves on what I wrote, where as someone that I am trying to explain to for the first time will have to ask if they do not understand.
That is a very good point I hadn't thought of.
yes but it wont hurt if someone else who knows the subject, checks your writings for accuracy......

Care and Feeding... of your Electric Vehicle (eg ebike)

So, I had a thought (this is where most folks say "Oh oh")...

Might be a handy, dandy thingee if on ES there was a thread about SAFETY (of electrical parts and systems on ebikes/electric vehicles).

If some on ES might expect a "coming storm" in North America for the electric bicycle etc, it might be useful to point "newbies" to a web article about living better electrically where all aspects of SAFETY are gathered together in one place.

EG, a rough outline:
electrical charging location(s) and infrastructure
vehicle/charger design
when things go horribly wrong:
a) fire
b) accident - vehicle at rest and in motion, electric shock to an animal (human, animal... etc?) or equipment)
Inspection/approval

Things to maybe keep in mind:
Plan for the best... Assume the worst.
(eg, the smartest/most intelligent and most informed will EVentually make a mistake, by honest mistake, drink or drugs, or just advancing age. Yah, comes to all of us... won't mention any names... hehe...)

Backup, backup, backup! Please provide links! Really, links to specific messages/threads on ES are golden (pier review, a sailor might say), but links to explanations, etc from third parties (best, an original source) acknowledged "experts" in the field), perhaps better (can't imagine how).

So ES folks, anything that could/should be added, changed or deleted? Or maybe there is already such a beast (thread, etc) on ES, eg in the "Wiki"? (Currently, only sEVen "finds" in the ES Wiki on a search for the word "safety")

Just curious, as always.
Ths
L

Best would be simply to edit hte wiki page itself. If you're not sure how to do that, you can find some pretty good instructions on the wiki help page, or via the links there to wikipedia's help pages (which work the same way ours does).

Not sure when I will ever have time to do much wiki work anymore, since I no longer have anything but intermittent wifi access. :(

Can I suggest a Glossary of bike and electric bike terms, so beginners can look up such things as the many acronyms etc I spent a few weeks searching for CST gearing thinking one thing when it means another.

Cheers, Camerart

You mean these?
http://endless-sphere.com/w/index.php/Acronyms
http://endless-sphere.com/w/index.php/Terminology_and_Explanations_of_Common_Misconceptions
(and there are other articles with explanations, or links to threads with them, and there are threads in the reference section not yet posted to the wiki, which you are welcome to do. ;) )

"You mean these?"

Almost! In my question I asked about CST, but I didn't find it in the Acronym list,

Cheers, Camerart

Sorry--I missed that. :) I don't know that particular one myself. :oops: (other than Cheng Shin Tire, of which most of the ones I have had use an elliptical logo with CST in it)

Also, if you know of anything that's *not* on a wiki page, please feel free to add whatever is missing, and if there's an article you can think of that's not there please create one. :)

If you search for CST hub motor I think you'll find motors with splined output shafts, for a gear cassette, I think CST might mean CaSseTte.

Cheers, Camerart.

I remember when you joined e-s,both boots hit the dirt and you have become one of the major forces.I'm unsure how wiki works,but its a long winter up here.Could you maybe give people subjects to research on the forum? I think I would get lost relearning/rereading.But if guidelines were set,I could do grunt work.Specifics-dictionary of terms;I learned much by just getting lost,following where the archives led me.Coming up for air hours later on a subject far from where I started.I would surprise myself when explaining something to friends etc.I was quickly beyond their understanding and realized I had actually learned!But quickly needed to simpify in "normal person"language.Those of you who really have the knowledge,leave out things assuming common knowledge.My other addiction is electro-mech watches.There would be tiny items left out of answers,that I needed answered.It would take months sometimes to get specifics.Different people explaining yet all would not really get down to the "basic" primary level.It never occurs to them.They didn't leave out "secrets" of the watchmakers code,their brains were so far beyond this,it was an unconscious leaving out of the :small stuff.Ihope this makes some sense.My local clockmaker gave me that answer when I told him how hard it was to get answers.All the answers are out there.

P.S. While scrolling to top I saw the term "simply cut and paste".I learned computerspeak in the 60s.I just found out last week at the library how to do it.Heard it a billion times but never knew how it worked.Shocked the H out of librarian.She thought I was joking.Until I really needed to do it,I sorta fooled myself that Iknew.Simple yes,if you know how.

Oooh, thank you so much ford the Wiki section. That's what I found. My studying started...

Wiki- excellent idea, just found it!

Let's get some synergy with other wikis out there, e.g. zeromanual.com

Back