Got Myself A Welder For The First Time.

Would appreciate any opinions on the technical data. I can't weld, and don't trust myself to set anything up, so I would like to learn as much about the machine and the various processes before I try anything. I really don't know what any of the information is....frequency, duty-ratios etc. I am posting as much of the tech info as I can. I would like people to be honest. Is the welder a POS, is it so-so, is it useful etc etc.

The welder is a tri-function job, TIG, ARC/MMA and Plasma. It doesn't weigh a whole load, is this a worry? 14KG is about all it weighs.

DSCN5472.jpg

DSCN5462.jpg

DSCN5457.jpg

DSCN5456.jpg

It doesn't seem to have too many functions. It looks like the adjustment option for the amps is pretty sensitive from 0-10, and then operates in a wider band from 10 onwards.

DSCN5466.jpg

Very generous lengths on both the TIG and the Plasma functions.

DSCN5468.jpg

Plasma gun feels quality and has a very nice micro-switch. The earth for the stick-welder is cheapo, as is the electrode holder, but thats OK, its just arc welding in any case. The TIG gun came with a choice of gas vents {5-6-7} and a tungsten electrode. The plasma gun also has some fittings for various jobs. Bit disappointed there was no mask included but hey.....

These are the wires coming out of the back. There is some garbled instruction about an earth, I assume that the earth is earthed to the actual welder, and that he positive and negatives are wired up to a normal 3-pin, 16amp fuse???

DSCN5482.jpg

DSCN5473.jpg

H.F. has a self darking welding mask for 39.99usd when on sale, some say it's 1/200 of a second or some number is not fast enough ? Auto darkering is great for mig.

Thanks, will probably pick up my welding accessories locally now in London where I am currently based. I look at a lot of videos on youtube, there is a guy called ChuckE2009 who is very enthusiastic, him and a friend welded two beer cans together {TIG} which is very impressive. The reason I wanted to go TIG was for fine, light aluminium work, and for joining different types of metal. I hear it is slow but accurate.

The Mighty Volt said:
Thanks, will probably pick up my welding accessories locally now in London where I am currently based. I look at a lot of videos on youtube, there is a guy called ChuckE2009 who is very enthusiastic, him and a friend welded two beer cans together {TIG} which is very impressive. The reason I wanted to go TIG was for fine, light aluminium work, and for joining different types of metal. I hear it is slow but accurate.

Where ever you get your helmet I highly recommend a self darkening helmet as 999zip999 commented on. I have the one he refered to and it's pretty good. You need to be sure it has good adjustability for darkness level and sencing time.

Bob

The Mighty Volt said:
The reason I wanted to go TIG was for fine, light aluminium work, and for joining different types of metal. I hear it is slow but accurate.

Congrats on getting started in the fun world of fabricating. Just get stuck in and start practising on some scrap steel. Try the stick welding first, cheap and easy, but you'll need to use a chipping hammer and wire brush to get the slag off.

Do you have a gas bottle? You'll need argon for doing TIG, you'll also need a gas regulator. A 4-inch angle grinder fitted with a flap disc is the easiest method for cleaning metal before welding as well as tidying any unsightly blobs afterwards.

Unfortunately I don't think you'll be doing much aluminium with that rig, it looks like a DC TIG which is suitable for mild steel and stainless. AC TIGs for aluminium are much more expensive machines.

Good luck!

+1 for starting with stick welding. If you can Arc weld, you do any kind of welding, and it's a good way to get experiance with the material.

+1 for starting with scrap. A large chunk of brake rotor or some angle iron found on the side of the road are a great way to start practing. Get a Big hammer, too. and after a few welds, try to bash the pieces apart. if they hold, you're doing it right.

By the time you get through your first box or rods, you'll have enough understanding of welding that starting TIG, MIG, or Flux core will be a breeze.

The Mighty Volt said:
x
These are the wires coming out of the back. There is some garbled instruction about an earth, I assume that the earth is earthed to the actual welder, and that he positive and negatives are wired up to a normal 3-pin, 16amp fuse???

DSCN5482.jpg

x
Green wire is ground, goes from ground connection to the welder. Different countries use different voltages and phases. Will let someone with knowledge of Ireland answer where the black and red wires go. Questions we need to ask are what gauge wire, what amp breaker, and what type of receptacle? Sorry I am not more help.
See Mains electricity by country
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mains_electricity_by_country#Table_of_mains_voltages_and_frequencies

iamsofunny said:
Why is there "earth" and a green ground wire also ??

I don't know. I think i will have to take it to an Irish/UK forum for some advice on that one.

I am getting welding lessons soon too so maybe I will just run it past them.

Thanks to everybody for the positive comments an encouragement.

Back