60V/220V inverter

jumpjack

100 W
I want to recycle my e-scooter battery, no more capable of giving dozens of Amperes, to power my home lights, which just require around 2 or 3 A.
But my battery is a 60V/24Ah Li-Ion battery.
Does it exist a 60V/220V inverter?
I can only find inverters rated 22-60V, but actual voltage of charged battery is 67.2V and I think it would fry a 22-60V inverter...

A 60V inverter is a 60V nominal inverter, ie. its designed for 5 X 12V batteries, normally charged hot at 14V each = 70V.

60V24AH = 1.4Kwh, so you can run some lighting for a while, you would be suprised how large a pack you need for a house. Getting the energy back into the pack - well, solar panels would work nicely.

heathyoung said:
A 60V inverter is a 60V nominal inverter, ie. its designed for 5 X 12V batteries, normally charged hot at 14V each = 70V.

60V24AH = 1.4Kwh, so you can run some lighting for a while, you would be suprised how large a pack you need for a house. Getting the energy back into the pack - well, solar panels would work nicely.

If it was as you said, shouldn't input DC data for inverter be "22-70" rather than "22-60"? The one I found is not designed for batteries, it's designed for solar panels. Do you have a link for a 60V inverter designed for batteries?

Whole house require around 6 kWh.
For just lights 0,5 kWh is widely enough (I have only fluorescent lamp and 3 rooms).

If you can reconfigure the pack it might be easier. Most inverters are gonna be 12v, 24v or 48v with only a little wiggle room. They often have low and high voltage cutoffs configured for flooded lead batteries, is the thing. There might be models without those cutoffs, or with some kind of semi-configurable voltage range but I'm sure they'll be harder to find and more expensive.

I picked up an inexpensive 12v modified sine wave inverter that seems to run CFLs just fine. I can link it if you'd like. My guess is that it'd run other fluorescents as well but I haven't tested it -I could. It's got an LVC of 10v and OVC of 15v and I run it on 4s. While it's not a perfect match, I think it works pretty good. I just turn it off when it shows about 12v on the front panel since the inverter would drain 'em down as far as 2.5v/cell if the load was light enough. [edit; mine's 110v and they don't make a 220v version - sorry]

Good luck! :)

Reconfiguring the battery is easy... but how do I "reconfigure" its BMS, designed for 16S6P? To get a 12V battery I should switch from 16S6P to 4S24P, I guess.

I don't think you need a BMS if you can stay on top of it and have light & predictable loads. I don't rely on the inverter's LVC though - I check the inverter's front panel every so often and shut it down before it shows 11v. The inverter will have over-current protection built-in, so it's really just the low LVC that matters.

If you can find an inverter with a remote port, and figure out how it works then you should be able to figure out how to automatically turn the inverter off before the voltage drops too far. That's what I'd like to do, eventually. It could be as simple as popping the case off and adjusting a trimpot, but I'm just smart enough I'd get frustrated and stab it w/ a screwdriver if I opened it and couldn't change anything. Anyways..

If you still feel you want/need a BMS then maybe you could find a 24v inverter with an acceptable LVC/OVC range. There should be some 24v BMSes out there..?...you'd need a charger too, I guess? later

Back