Sources for cheap SLA Batteries?

chopper_elec

100 W
Hey all,
I really want to fire up my project again and find that sla will be the only way at the moment due to finances. As much as i'd like to hang on and get lifepo4, it would be more appropriate to get one my bikes going and go from there (still haven't got an electric bike going yet)

I've found 3x 12ah sla for about $24 each brand new. I was wondering if anyone knows of any good places to get free/very cheap sla batteries to get my up and going?

I can't wait to try it out finally.

amberwolf said:
computer places that fix or chuck server UPSs
powerchair repair places
battery recycling places

Oh thats awesome thanks for that. If they end up having some in stock will they likely give them out?

I wonder how far off the price would be from new. If I was to get say 6-8 of them and 4 turn out good, would I be able to take them back to the battery place for recycling for free. I wonder what sort of capacity they are likely to have for a UPS too.

here in the usa they may have to pay to recycle them, so you could probably get them for free, just that they probably will be nowhere near new condition.

you might have to get a whole bunch to find enough good ones to make a pack.

in the usa, powerchair repair places often do the repair under insurance, so they may replace packs whether they;re good or bad, becuse customer complains about range or whatever, and get paid anyway. more likely to get good ones form those places if it's thes ame down there.

You could get 5s 5ah lipo for about $35 you know, prob has more capacity than a 12 ah PB
Or buy second hand lithium...

I think i used PB once on my ebike, ill never go back, i keep pb for solar ect

nechaus said:
You could get 5s 5ah lipo for about $35 you know, prob has more capacity than a 12 ah PB
Or buy second hand lithium...

I think i used PB once on my ebike, ill never go back, i keep pb for solar ect

Yeah I think the biggest thing is reliability, I have always felt safer with lead acid, as heavy as it is. Its the cheapest way for me to get started. I've never rode an electric bike before.

The main thing i'm considering at the moment is:

If I replace the gear (apart from the hub motor) to 36v i'll have more availabity on batteries. This would require a new controller, throttle etc too as mine are 48v
I could then get a lifepo4 36v battery and run my 48v motor on 36v

The only downsides I see is that i'd get less running time on 36v, if I was say to use a 10ah battery compared to 48v running a 10ah due to the extra draw on the battery

The other option was to hold out and try and find a 48v lifepo4 battery in the shape that I need, that is quite a bit more expensive though, if I could i'd get a 16ah battery and go for the longer run time.

One of those hobby stores runs promos all the time and sometimes you can get special offers if you stare at the page long enough. I almost jumped on one of those deals a minute ago. SLAs blow. :wink:

Back