A Battery Muffler, intrigued? Read on :)

chopper_elec

100 W
Hey all,
As you all know I still haven't got my electric chopper bike going yet, but I seem to love changing and exploring new ideas.

I am still working out the nitty gritty stuff but I was thinking about making a muffler for my chopper, and fitting the batteries inside. To get them in there I was thinking about making it 2 parts (top and bottom) whcih can be unbolted to access the batteries (and for placing them in).

Was wondering what you all thought about the idea. I was exploring the option of using rc nimh batteries. I'm comfortable with working on them and can easily make packs up.

I have seen some electric bike that uses a plastic ice looking engine to store the batts in, personally to me these look cheap and a way for the owner to not be embarrassed that it doesn't use gas, and a muffler would mean the same, if it's electric be proud of it and that it doesn't spit out those discusting fumes that mufflers put out, only the burning of tyre rubber smell is ok, just my bit but a frame triangle or downtube or even rear or front carrier should be ok

dingoEsride said:
I have seen some electric bike that uses a plastic ice looking engine to store the batts in, personally to me these look cheap and a way for the owner to not be embarrassed that it doesn't use gas, and a muffler would mean the same, if it's electric be proud of it and that it doesn't spit out those discusting fumes that mufflers put out, only the burning of tyre rubber smell is ok, just my bit but a frame triangle or downtube or even rear or front carrier should be ok

You've got a great point man. :)

corsicamoto1small.jpgIve seen your chopper and think it looks pretty cool, have you considered leather panniers to hold batteries in

Thanks mate, it would definitely look neat on the back. It would also allow for easy removal if I wanted to run it as

It would also hide my electric motor in the back... Brilliant idea haha

I wonder if I could make some panniers? Some are very expensive. I would just need to make a back battery tray which shouldn't be too bad at all. I really like that worn leather look. I'll have to google it to see if I can find an "aging" method for leather without it cracking

Had a look through your build thread and was not quite sure where the motor is placed, last pic I couldn't see one, if in front then extra weight at back won't be a problem handling wise but if a rear drive might make the back too heavy, I remember a biker friend that used plastic 20l jerry cans, a few simple steel brackets done, or smaller 10l plastic petrol container or military boxes give a rugged look

Leather stains might work, applied artistically. Leather stamps are pretty cool too, iirc, and you can always brand it. :)

If the faux exhaust pipe was mounted very low, like a Buell exhaust, it would be an advantage because it would lower the CG. That would be especially desireable if you are using heavy, SLA bricks.

amberwolf said:
Regarding ICE-looking battery stuff, you might look up the Juicer V-Twin.

Ah yes, this bike is in a league of its own

View attachment 1

When I made my comment I was thinking something more like this

chopper.jpeg

wheelbender6 said:
If the faux exhaust pipe was mounted very low, like a Buell exhaust, it would be an advantage because it would lower the CG. That would be especially desireable if you are using heavy, SLA bricks.

Good point!

I was thinking if you want a muffler, get one of these.... :lol:

Turbospoke---the-Bicycle-Exhaust-System.jpg

How about a rocket booster like this one:

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

sarah-pickens-rocket-bike-1-01.jpg

Im printing a whole bunch of these boxxes
im going to have 4 on each side of my bike, on the middle top tube.

I would be worried having a muffler, its going to attract the pol pol

Attachments

• DSCN0740.JPG
    DSCN0740.JPG
    110.5 KB · Views: 1,297
nechaus said:
Im printing a whole bunch of these boxxes
im going to have 4 on each side of my bike, on the middle top tube.

I would be worried having a muffler, its going to attract the pol pol

Looks like they are floating in that picture... :shock:

Back