ES Site Maintenance and Upgrades, Oct 22nd - 30th

Talk about anything and everything here within reason.
Jeremy Harris   10 GW

10 GW

Re: ES Site Maintenance and Upgrades, Oct 22nd - 30th

Post by Jeremy Harris » Nov 23 2012 1:40pm

Arlo1 wrote:What's with all the outages lately?
Good question. ES started running r e a l l y slow this morning at around 07:30 (GMT), with frequent time outs. By 08:00 GMT it was just showing the SQL error message, like it has done all day here. The site has been down for around 10 hours today.
Please ask questions on the forum, rather than by PM, as it helps others and you'll get a better range of answers.

ohzee   1 MW

1 MW

Post by ohzee » Nov 23 2012 2:07pm

Yea id be happy to donate some money if it can help keep the outages at bay ?

It's hard to complain about something that's free , but the problem seem to be in responding to the outage.

Is there only one person who can fix the problems that happen ? I help run another vbasic forum and we have
similar issues , but the good thing is we have 3 admins who can help restart/clean up as needed. It's also offered
free with no commercial support so I do understand the challenges.

mrvass   10 W

10 W

Post by mrvass » Nov 23 2012 2:13pm

Overall server memory usage has been up since we added features to the forums, but previous outages were tied to suboptimal maintenance service scheduling, which has been fixed, but it seems that was not the only source of the memory issues that caused the table crash we experienced this morning. To be on the safe side we're doubling the memory on the server, until we see a better method for resource allocation to the backend logging/maintenance processes. Sorry for duration of the outages of late!
2807 NC Hub on 700c wheel x 20A Infineon controller x 48V 8Ah LiMn Ezee on a basic Norco hybrid bike

Arlo1   100 GW

100 GW

Post by Arlo1 » Nov 23 2012 2:20pm

That would explain why all my topics are quiet. This has been on and off for me for about 2 weeks. It's amazing how much I rely on this site. I look forward to waking up in the morning to check es and I can't go a day with out logging in :)
Does your project need a high performance motor drive, battery charger or other power electronics developed? Let's talk!
www.powerdesigns.ca
Leaf motor controller build. http://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewto ... 27#p963227
YSR build http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BRo8r5g4NBg
Never above 4.2v never below 2.7v EVER!!!
Support me on Patreon. https://www.patreon.com/user/posts?u=6842045
http://www.undergroundelectrics.ca/

Kingfish   10 GW

10 GW
Location: Redmond, WA-USA, Earth, Sol, Orion–Cygnus Arm, Milky Way. Age: > yesterday < tomorrow

Post by Kingfish » Nov 23 2012 2:38pm

mrvass wrote:Overall server memory usage has been up since we added features to the forums, but previous outages were tied to suboptimal maintenance service scheduling, which has been fixed, but it seems that was not the only source of the memory issues that caused the table crash we experienced this morning. To be on the safe side we're doubling the memory on the server, until we see a better method for resource allocation to the backend logging/maintenance processes. Sorry for duration of the outages of late!
Please tell me you're running in a farm and not hosting on a co-located single machine. :?
~KF
* My 2WD Garden Wall
* Kinaye MotorSports
* Primary ride: 2WD Disc 9C 2806-equiv / Dual Lyen 12FET / 20S7P LiPo.
* Epics: Going to California: 2011 8)
* 50-mph, 101, 10k-Club. 12,527 miles-to-date, 7037 as 2WD.

It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion.
It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed.
The hands acquire shakes, the shakes become a warning.
It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion.

Chalo   100 GW

100 GW

Post by Chalo » Nov 23 2012 3:21pm

Kingfish wrote:Please tell me you're running in a farm and not hosting on a co-located single machine.
If it was good enough for Grandpappy, it's good enough for me!
This is to express my gratitude to Justin of Grin Technologies for his extraordinary measures to save this forum for the benefit of all.

marty   10 MW

10 MW

Post by marty » Nov 23 2012 6:03pm

Marty thinks that owning and maintaining your own server is like owning a cow. It is easier and cheaper to buy gallons of milk. I use
http://www.domain-website-hosting.com/
Think they are a reseller for
http://www.godaddy.com/
I am happy. Server almost never goes down.
MARTY
Volt Electric Vehicles
http://www.voltev.com

Lenk42602   10 kW

10 kW

Post by Lenk42602 » Nov 23 2012 6:25pm

HPIM2234.jpg
HPIM2234.jpg (87.04 KiB) Viewed 1400 times
HPIM2434.jpg
HPIM2434.jpg (99.96 KiB) Viewed 1400 times
v20003-1.jpg
v20003-1.jpg (87.15 KiB) Viewed 1400 times
khsebike%20063.jpg
khsebike%20063.jpg (63.13 KiB) Viewed 1400 times
Dscn2161.jpg
Dscn2161.jpg (76 KiB) Viewed 1400 times
DSCN2275.JPG

amberwolf   100 GW

100 GW
Location: Phoenix, AZ, USA, Earth, Sol, Local Bubble, Orion Arm, Milky Way, Local Group

Post by amberwolf » Oct 07 2014 1:29pm

Since this has been brought back up here:
http://www.endless-sphere.com/forums/vi ... =0#p956145
I thought I'd ask some questions:

--Should a new thread, stickied for a little whle as a Global Announcement, be started for this?

--I know very simple HTML, and could probably build a landing page that has something like an ES banner across it's top that is a link to the root of the forums itself, and then thumbnails of images that each are also a link to the build thread for that particular bike. It would be a very simple grid with rows of small thumbnails resized to all fit right next to each other like one giant borderless collage. (I don't know tables and all that stuff so I don't know much of any other way to do it).

Just to have *something* better/more informative than the green/blue logo we've got right now, I'd meant to start something like this before, while this thread was still running, using what's already posted above, but life and events since pushed it out of mind.

--I don't have internet access most of the time, so what I'd need to do is gather links to pages and images from people, then type it all up at home from clipboard/notepad entries, and resize the pics to thumbnails, then have a way to send all the thumbnails to someone in charge of webspace on ES for them to put in a folder named as I've typed up the HTML (or tell me what to call it before I make the page). The ones already in this thread will help, but I am sure there are more not yet posted. If this is something people would want it done like, then could they post the image and the link they want it to point to?

--If simple HTML isn't enough for the landing page, then someone else will have to do it, cuz I don't have any of the stuff or knowledge needed for anything more complex than "written in Notepad" HTML. ;)

What I *wish* I could do is somethign that automatically poppe dup the full size image as you mouse over the thumbnail, with a description in a frame around it, but that's way beyond my means.