gas price thread

truckerzero

100 W
since most of us(not all)have to drive our evil ice lets post our local prices for the cheapest grade as of today it was 3.88 a gallon(about 4 liters) next jump will probably put it over 4 bucks a gallon highway robbery(pun intended) :lol:

We pay 1.6x times that.

The English even more, and the French pay about 2.6x what you pay.

If you bitch and moan about the US petrol prices I will come over and slap you in the back of the head!

You do understand why it's going up don't you? It's not going down again (well, little ups and downs) EVER, and it will go through the roof over the next few years/decade.

Easy Mark.

There's always someone who will pay less than you, unless of course, you live in Venezuela.

When I was in Saudi Arabia, petrol cost less than water and it's probably much the same now.

Just putting things in perspective - the US has the cheapest petrol I'm away of in the developed world, excluding some OPEC nations, etc.

The Venezuelan situation is surreal. It costs their government billions. It will be the downfall of their economy..

Just been past a petrol/gas station in my local town. 131 pence per litre. Ebike hire might be a good business proposition? We need a windfall tax on the oil companies which is applied to wind farm or LiFePO4 subsidy :D

In Croatia diesel got up 2% last week. But LPG, metane and propane have same price last 12 years and it want go up soon. Some 25% cars have dual fuel system and few cars run on metane. (Some Fiat Multipla comes standard with metane equipment)

Attachments

• fuel prices 2.6.2008.jpg
    fuel prices 2.6.2008.jpg
    15 KB · Views: 11,907
truckerzero said:
since most of us(not all)have to drive our evil ice lets post our local prices for the cheapest grade as of today it was 3.88 a gallon(about 4 liters) next jump will probably put it over 4 bucks a gallon highway robbery(pun intended) :lol:

It's way over that here. The cheapest place within 20 miles is $4.15 for reg. Most places are around $4.25. Diesel is $5.25.

This picture is from a week ago:
Gas Price 5-23-08.jpg

HAL9000v2.0 said:
In Croatia diesel got up 2% last week. But LPG, metane and propane have same price last 12 years and it want go up soon. Some 25% cars have dual fuel system and few cars run on metane. (Some Fiat Multipla comes standard with metane equipment)
In the US, CNG jumped a couple of years ago. It was a big dissapointment to the Honda CNG owners. :evil:

paultrafalgar said:
We need a windfall tax on the oil companies which is applied to wind farm or LiFePO4 subsidy :D

Last I heard, all the big oil companies are publicly traded, so all anyone has to do to participate in their profits is buy some stock.

That's what most pension plans have done, so taxing oil companies for windfall profits is taxing old people's income.

Not that I'm agin' government promotion of alternative energy, I'm for it big time, but it probably makes more sense to let society bear that burden evenly.

Dr. Shock said:
Last I heard, all the big oil companies are publicly traded, so all anyone has to do to participate in their profits is buy some stock.
I'm not sure that's entirely valid:

New investors will not see ROI for decades, while oil moguls reap huge salaries and dividends. The capital can be used for short term gains within the corporate structure and the shareholder benefit will be long in coming.

That is damn-near a ponzi.

:evil:

Somehow "windfall profits" have a habit of landing in corporate execs pockets. If they are taxed, at least some of the money could find itself in alternative energy plans. It was done successfully in the 70s during the oil "crisis"!!!
otherDoc

Shell's stock price is up almost 40% from 2 years ago ($66 to $83), Chevron's almost 80% ($61 to $99). S&P 500 is up about 20% over the same period. While I'm not saying upper management isn't wildly overcompensated, shareholders are clearly participating in the profits these companies are making.

Dr. Shock said:
Shell's stock price is up almost 40% from 2 years ago ($66 to $83), Chevron's almost 80% ($61 to $99). S&P 500 is up about 20% over the same period. While I'm not saying upper management isn't wildly overcompensated, shareholders are clearly participating in the profits these companies are making.
Only if they sell.

Although a large part of the fuel price here in the UK is made up from tax and fuel duty, I can't help but wonder quite how the oil companies continue to make record profits year on year despite the increased costs. I can only assume that they take the opportunity to rip us off with the excuse that it's the crude oil price that's responsible for all of the price hike.

Currently diesel is around £1.30 per litre here in my bit of Southern England (about $10.40 per US gallon, or £5.90 per Imperial gallon). Petrol is around 7 or 8% cheaper I think.

We've not had fuel as cheap as the equivalent of $5 per US gallon here for years, in fact I was probably earning less than half what I am now when fuel in the UK was that incredibly cheap, as it was probably ten or fifteen years ago................

Jeremy

While its true that gas is cheeper here (US) than Europe, since our taxation has been so low, our infrastructure is suffering! We cant afford to keep[ up roads, bridges, schools etc. There is always a price for whatever system U live under!
otherDoc
edit: And of course the oil companies rip us off!

Only if they sell.

TylerDun, people sell everyday. If they didn't, the prices would be even higher. Check the trading volume on any oil stock. People are constantly taking profits everyday. The shallowness of this statement reminds me of a story about the Roman leader Nero. When he started demanding they increase the taxes on the wealthy citizens to support his ridiculus projects, one of his advisors recomended they tax the estates of people when they die. The rational was that since they were dead, they couldn't rise up a revolution. (like his wealthy aristocrats were currently planning). Nero's response was "I don't have time to wait for people to die, I need my money NOW!" Silly little Nero never stopped think that his kingdom was filled with people that died each day. Not everyone is "your age" or has your financial situation. Don't worry TylerDun, it's a common mistake to misjudge the world by assuming everyone is just like you. Eventually you'll grow out of that.

ohh im not complaining about gas prices im using them to motivate me too seek alternatives so i can flip off the gas stations as i drive by on a ev and that will make me feel all warm and fuzzy inside
i feel for you that pay much more for gas and if i lived over there id probably gone electric a long time ago

mcstar said:
Only if they sell.
TylerDun, people sell everyday. If they didn't, the prices would be even higher. Check the trading volume on any oil stock. People are constantly taking profits everyday.
Uh... your point was what, again?

That you can enjoy profits without selling?

And it's D U R D E N, nukeboy... but you can call me 'sir'.

:lol:

Ya know, Mcstar, calling a statement "shallow" could be construed as a personal attack! Perhaps just elucidation (from your point of view, of course) might be more productive. Just a thought!
otherDoc

Sorry! I sometimes get stuck back in "teacherese".
otherDoc

McStar, ease up a little on brother TD, he's a thinker, and we're keeping this all on the level of great thoughts--

TD, I see it as an advantage that an investor can take his profit when he wants or needs to. He can sell off enough shares to recoup his profit and retain shares representing his original investment. The capital gains treatment of securities as well as the favorable tax rates on dividends mean that a before tax dollar earned on a stock investment is worth more after tax than a before tax dollar earned as interest.

I think the compensation for top management has gotten way out of hand, and shareholders should put a stop to it, not just in the oil sector, but throughout the market. Nevertheless, oil stocks have been a really good investment for shareholders ovr the last few years, and they probably will continue to be so. Rather than protest that the oil companies are making too much money, why not just buy some of their stock? I suspect having a piece of the pie would change one's attitude about it. I certainly hope my pension administrator's got some oil stocks in the mix.

Dr. Shock said:
Rather than protest that the oil companies are making too much money, why not just buy some of their stock? I suspect having a piece of the pie would change one's attitude about it. I certainly hope my pension administrator's got some oil stocks in the mix.
By contrast, FirstSolar is up from 67.22 to 317.00 in the past year.

Invest wisely.

Back