Dear America,

Talk about anything and everything here within reason.
Lessss   10 MW

10 MW

Re: Dear America,

Post by Lessss » Dec 21 2012 7:05am

the moment I was outside the car and he realised I was a Brit
Replace "Brit" with another couple words.
Give me nuclear batteries I say!! Ripped off by Joshua Goldberg to the tune of almost $900 re headway groupbuy for batteries, no $ no batteries
------------
http://www.openoffice.org/ or https://www.libreoffice.org/
http://distrowatch.com/dwres.php?resource=major

etriker   100 kW

100 kW

Post by etriker » Dec 21 2012 7:39am

Lessss wrote:
Watch out . The PC ES UK police will delete your OT posts ! :)
Last edited by etriker on Dec 21 2012 7:48am, edited 2 times in total.

etriker   100 kW

100 kW

Post by etriker » Dec 21 2012 7:44am

Was visiting a friend and a person and his friend took off on my electric trike right off the front porch.

2 young men about 21.

We got into my truck and chasted them down. I pulled up next to them and yelled get off my trike.

They looked back at me and with a smile kept going.

Then I yelled get off my trike or I will shoot you dead.

They ran and I put the trike in the truck.

I had no gun.

True story. There are so many guns down here in Florida most of us figure just about everyone has one.

Makes the cops tend to knock at the door instead of just kicking it down and rushing in too.

HAROX   1 kW

1 kW

Post by HAROX » Dec 21 2012 10:03am

etriker wrote:Then I yelled get off my trike or I will shoot you dead.

They ran and I put the trike in the truck.

I had no gun.
I would've run too :mrgreen:

Jeremy Harris   10 GW

10 GW

Post by Jeremy Harris » Dec 21 2012 10:04am

Lessss wrote:
I rather think you meant the original version you posted that was clearly intended as a rhyming personal insult, don't you? Did you have second thoughts and added the extra word "couple" to try and pretend you weren't being personally insulting after all? If so you failed, rather miserably.

FWIW, the police officer concerned did his job professionally and with polite respect, I was the one in the wrong by speeding.
Please ask questions on the forum, rather than by PM, as it helps others and you'll get a better range of answers.

Lessss   10 MW

10 MW

Post by Lessss » Dec 22 2012 9:08am

word to replace with brit - "not a black man"; "not a hispanic"
If you were one of those two for instance the hostility level would likely have continued.
Give me nuclear batteries I say!! Ripped off by Joshua Goldberg to the tune of almost $900 re headway groupbuy for batteries, no $ no batteries
------------

jonescg   1.21 GW

1.21 GW

Post by jonescg » Dec 23 2012 9:07pm

So I see the NRA hasn't added anything constructive to the discussion. They are sounding more and more paranoid, delusional and indicative of the kinds of behaviours you don't want gun owners to have.

Very sad, really. Here is a peak body with massive influence representing the guns, and not the owners.

Lessss   10 MW

10 MW

Post by Lessss » Dec 24 2012 1:59am

------------

etriker   100 kW

100 kW

Post by etriker » Dec 24 2012 9:09am

jonescg wrote:So I see the NRA hasn't added anything constructive to the discussion. They are sounding more and more paranoid, delusional and indicative of the kinds of behaviours you don't want gun owners to have.

Very sad, really. Here is a peak body with massive influence representing the guns, and not the owners.
But they are and they do and it is ! :)

Think there is anything you can do about all the way on the other side of the world ?

I don't think there is anything I can do and I am in the USA.

The USA govt screws up almost everytime they do something so if you think the USA govt is the answer then too bad for you.

Our borders are wide open and people bring in and sell anything including those junk lipo batteries that should be outlawed for ev use ! ! ! :)

It's more like this.
Fair warning

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A0WDFanLlgg

Dauntless   100 GW

100 GW

Post by Dauntless » Dec 24 2012 4:38pm

He'll put a gun to our heads to make us pay for someone else's healthcare, but then. . . .

Any sufficiently advanced technology is INDISTINGUISHABLE FROM MAGIC!
- Arthur C. Clarke

mark5   100 kW

100 kW

Post by mark5 » Dec 24 2012 5:07pm

Dauntless wrote:He'll put a gun to our heads to make us pay for someone else's healthcare, but then. . . .

Sasha and Malia Obama have 11 armed guards at their school
http://now.msn.com/obama-daughters-atte ... med-guards

But if NRA suggests schools have armed guards they aren't adding anything constructive to the discussion, and they are being paranoid and delusional.

neptronix   100 GW

100 GW

Post by neptronix » Dec 24 2012 6:12pm

NRA's statements are puzzling, IMHO. They want a bigger police state? I thought they were about defending 2nd amendment rights outlined in our constitution.
Efficiency is everything :bolt:

My first major build: 1.6kW 8T MAC motor on a Trek 4500.
The new all-arounder: Leafmotor 1500w @ 4kW on a Turner O2 full suspension.
The monster scooter: 20" eZee on a Cannondale Semi Recumbent.
Whipper-snapper: ? on a lightweight BikeE Semi Recumbent

Dauntless   100 GW

100 GW

Post by Dauntless » Dec 25 2012 12:17am

http://www.activistpost.com/2011/01/new ... -sell.html

So I say 'Armageddon' can take many forms, one of which is killing us slowly.

- Arthur C. Clarke

jonescg   1.21 GW

1.21 GW

Post by jonescg » Dec 25 2012 1:40am

etriker wrote:The USA govt screws up almost everytime they do something so if you think the USA govt is the answer then too bad for you.
Too bad for me? Too bad for you, it would seem. You're the one living there.

I think you will find the common theme in this entire thread is that the rest of the world, and much of your own country would dearly love for the people of the USA to stop feeling the need to shoot each other. Government really only has a few tools in its kit, with legislation being a fairly blunt tool at that. But on occasion it can work out for the best. It worked here in Oz.

If the government can make a useful contribution, and the people really want it, then help them craft key legislation. If you don't like what they did, you can vote for a new mob to change it again. That's how democracies work.

I have no idea what living under your government is like, but as demonstrated in the UK and Australia, when the government were called upon to legislate changes, we the electors supported their efforts. That government went on to win three more elections.

It is sad that such a thing can't happen in your country, but if that's the way you like it, then so be it. I can only wish you the best. I don't like the fact that many nations still employ the death penalty for drug offences, and I will be vocal about it from the other side of the world. But the changes need to come from within.

Chalo   100 GW

100 GW

Post by Chalo » Dec 25 2012 3:27am

mark5 wrote:Sasha and Malia Obama have 11 armed guards at their school

But if NRA suggests schools have armed guards they aren't adding anything constructive to the discussion, and they are being paranoid and delusional.
You reckon that the school nearest to you can get the same quality armed guards as the First Daughters?

I think they're more likely to have George Zimmerman on duty. I bet he's an NRA member.
This is to express my gratitude to Justin of Grin Technologies for his extraordinary measures to save this forum for the benefit of all.

flyinmonkie   10 kW

10 kW

Post by flyinmonkie » Dec 25 2012 3:37am

jonescg wrote:But the changes need to come from within.
Never said better.

US citizens need to stop letting the media and the politicians driving a wedge between them. The PEOPLE on each side of the debates and political parties aren't actually as far apart as the media and politicians would have you believe. It just suits their cause (ratings and $ in the case of media and reelection and $ in the case of the politicians) to have it black and white and each side as far away from each other as possible.

So stop spewing the media crap in the argument with those with different ideas and speak what you ACTUALLY think and feel on the subject. ACTUALLY listen to the others thoughts and feelings on the subject. You'll find you want the same outcome and your ideas aren't actually that different. In the middle we can meet and come to a solution that suits the majority. That is the way it is supposed to happen.

If your representatives will not do that, then email them, write, them, call them. Put the pressure on them. The lobbyists may give them money, but the people reelect them. If they don't listen to you, in 2 years speak with your vote. What ever you do, DO NOT let the media put words in your mouth. We are all smarted than that.

"Change needs to come from within" - jonescg

etriker   100 kW

100 kW

Post by etriker » Dec 25 2012 9:18am

jonescg wrote:
etriker wrote:The USA govt screws up almost everytime they do something so if you think the USA govt is the answer then too bad for you.
Too bad for me? Too bad for you, it would seem. You're the one living there.

I think you will find the common theme in this entire thread is that the rest of the world, and much of your own country would dearly love for the people of the USA to stop feeling the need to shoot each other. Government really only has a few tools in its kit, with legislation being a fairly blunt tool at that. But on occasion it can work out for the best. It worked here in Oz.

If the government can make a useful contribution, and the people really want it, then help them craft key legislation. If you don't like what they did, you can vote for a new mob to change it again. That's how democracies work.

I have no idea what living under your government is like, but as demonstrated in the UK and Australia, when the government were called upon to legislate changes, we the electors supported their efforts. That government went on to win three more elections.

It is sad that such a thing can't happen in your country, but if that's the way you like it, then so be it. I can only wish you the best. I don't like the fact that many nations still employ the death penalty for drug offences, and I will be vocal about it from the other side of the world. But the changes need to come from within.
Just about always young men that are so unhappy they want to die and right before they die they want others to die too ?

And get on that list they show over and over on tv of the famous mass killings before they die ?

There are a lot of people with mental health problems in the USA and there is not a lot of help for them.

Pills to help can cost a lot and when you run out and can't buy anymore for a while things can get real crazy.

Love is the only answer.

jonescg   1.21 GW

1.21 GW

Post by jonescg » Dec 25 2012 9:27am

Yeah, my brother used to spend half of his pension on pills. Thankfully he's off them now and he has eye problems to worry about... He ended up buying private health insurance so he could get lens implants put in. If he waited on the public system he would have gone blind.

Still, it's great to see him happy again.

Dauntless   100 GW

100 GW

Post by Dauntless » Dec 25 2012 10:48am

etriker wrote: There are a lot of people with mental health problems in the USA and there is not a lot of help for them.
The government is CAUSING those mental health problems. Not that they create the mentally ill, but they're really happy to provoke them. To provoke everyone, the mentally ill being the vulnerable minds that go off.
Pills to help can cost a lot and when you run out and can't buy anymore for a while things can get real crazy.
That isn't nearly so much the problem as people thinking they're 'Cured' and seeking to ween themselves from the medication. . . .
Love is the only answer.
Last edited by Dauntless on Dec 25 2012 12:03pm, edited 1 time in total.
- Arthur C. Clarke

etriker   100 kW

100 kW

Post by etriker » Dec 25 2012 11:32am

I think it may well be all the pollution we are dumping in our world making people be born with brain defects.

And a lot of them.

If this is so then China is in real trouble.

Again, what can we do ?

People want to keep searching for the answers and the answer is love.

Today is love's birthday ! :)

rkosiorek   1 MW

1 MW

Post by rkosiorek » Dec 25 2012 8:19pm

mark5 wrote:
Dauntless wrote:He'll put a gun to our heads to make us pay for someone else's healthcare, but then. . . .

Sasha and Malia Obama have 11 armed guards at their school

the presidents kids are not normal people. because of their father and his job they are targets for all types of wackos, occasionally they are armed wackos. same with the president. he is also a target. they are very specific targets. that is why they need the guards with the guns. they are already in danger and guards are a reasonable precaution.

normal kids in a normal class are not and should not be in the same risk category. at least not in a civilized country. does this mean that everywhere in the USA is supposed to be a 24/7 war zone? this is a totally unrealistic comparison.

rick
DISCLAIMER:
We will not be responsible for damage to equipment, your ego, blown parts, county wide power outages, spontaneously generated mini (or larger) black holes, planetary disruptions, or personal injury that may result from the use of this material.
- Samuel M. Goldwasser -

The fingers   100 GW

100 GW

Post by The fingers » Dec 25 2012 8:34pm

Funny how the rest of the world backs the elitist entitlement mentality. Perhaps they are envious of the freedoms we enjoy.
Black Schwinn High Sierra
Blue Schwinn Cruiser 5
Blue Schwinn High Plains
Black Fiore Cruzer 5: Amped Warp Drive 26" Front DD/SLA kit
http://ghostbikes.org/
http://www.rideofsilence.org/main.php
Hebrews 9:27

etriker   100 kW

100 kW

Post by etriker » Dec 25 2012 9:48pm

The fingers wrote:Funny how the rest of the world backs the elitist entitlement mentality. Perhaps they are envious of the freedoms we enjoy.
I went there and miles deleted my posts. :)

Dauntless   100 GW

100 GW

Post by Dauntless » Dec 26 2012 4:06pm

etriker wrote: I went there and miles deleted my posts. :)
Did you get an actual notice it was deleted? If you hit preview or save draft instead of submit it won't be up there.

Just because people are questioning who armed guards at schools would be, I can come up with options for California, which are probably similar to what other parts of the country would have to offer:

Several county sheriffs' offices around me have the 'Sheriffs' Special Officer,' SSO. Academy trained but not full fledged POST academy (710 hours last I knew) they provide security at county buildings and do other things that they don't want to send deputies for. Several years back the County of Los Angeles merged their County Safety Police with the Sheriffs' Office, at one time they had been 3 separate agencies, Department of Parks and Recreation Park Police and the Department of Health Services and Internal Services Department’s Safety Police. While they had been separate they would have been likely candidates. The City of Los Angeles also has separate from LAPD the Los Angeles General Services Police.

I'm sure there are such agencies and positions all over the country. These would be the likely types to handle the job.
- Arthur C. Clarke

Jeremy Harris   10 GW

10 GW

Post by Jeremy Harris » Dec 26 2012 4:14pm

Dauntless wrote:
etriker wrote: I went there and miles deleted my posts. :)
Did you get an actual notice it was deleted? If you hit preview or save draft instead of submit it won't be up there.
I see you've quoted a comment by etriker (personally I find very little of interest in his posts so have him permanently on ignore).

For the record, etriker made several posts, one after the other, on this thread that were just repetitive statements, unconnected with either the topic or the preceding posts. He was politely asked by Miles to stop using this thread as a personal blog. He decided to ignore this request and carried on posting in the same vain. Miles quite reasonably deleted the off-topic posts.
Please ask questions on the forum, rather than by PM, as it helps others and you'll get a better range of answers.