What are you doing for amageddon?

Talk about anything and everything here within reason.
dogman dan   100 GW

100 GW

What are you doing for amageddon?

Post by dogman dan » Dec 21 2012 6:13am

Ha Ha what a joke! We just add another year to the mayan calendar, or start over with year 1. But I did do one thing, I backed up some files in my computers.

Pictures taken this year, and a new copy of my I tunes music files. I've always tried to do this at least once a year, but did it early this year in case of a hacker with a sense of humor kills my computer today.

Got a worker that started his holiday time off a day early, said he didn't want to spend his last day on earth working. I told him it sounded like a good reason to start partying a day early to me.

Nice line up of end of the world films on the Turner movie channel today. "The last man on earth" is a hoot. Remade later as "The Omega Man". In the first one Vincent Price is the vampire slayer.

etriker   100 kW

100 kW

Re: What are you doing for amageddon?

Post by etriker » Dec 21 2012 8:43am

Ride my electric bike up to the tv shop and fix tvs for people ! :)

Beats working for a living. :)

These are the good ol days for me.

I don't live in my past or my future.

Just try to fit into and make it in the world that is now ! :)

MattyCiii   100 kW

100 kW

Post by MattyCiii » Dec 21 2012 9:23am

I'm celebrating the fact that since today is the shortest day of the year (in the Northern hemisphere at least), every day for the next 6 months will have more daylight when riding. :D
1st build: Dahon Jetstream folding bike. Quick, reliable, capable of 32mph. Light enough to lift, folds for easy transport by car/bus/train.
2nd build: RC powered 2009 Norco A-Line. Top speed 39mph. Built like a tank, it's resistant to Boston potholes, can stop on a dime, easily goes up/down curbs when necessary.
3rd build (just started): Scratch build ultimate utility bike. Based on a common power module using a NuVinci left side freewheel.

bigmoose   100 MW

100 MW

Post by bigmoose » Dec 21 2012 9:26am

You guys better get prepared... they are coming for us! One of their bodies were unearthed in Mexico recently... :pancake:
skull.jpg
skull.jpg (168.19 KiB) Viewed 1175 times
"Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly. Leave the rest to God..." all the best, Dave

Lebowski   1 GW

1 GW

Post by Lebowski » Dec 21 2012 9:45am

I thought it was yesterday ?

oatnet   10 MW

10 MW

Post by oatnet » Dec 21 2012 11:14am

12/21/2112 - the day Mayan calendars become as obsolete as pre-Y2K software. Until today they had a practical application, now they are just round stones.

:lol:
Member 117 of 26,000+

153v DUNE BUGGY © 164v Vectrix E-Moto © 72v Norco A-line/x5403 © 60v Specialized Enduro Comp/BMC © 72v x5tracycle © 48v TF IO/BMC © 36v Kepler FrictionDrive © Spot-Welding a123 © Pelican Front Packs © Vectrix Battery Replacement © MORE !!

Image大鸡巴 Motors
Knowledge is acquired through experience, everything else is just information - Albert Einstein
"Cheater?" I'm not competing, I'm Commuting!

Dauntless   100 GW

100 GW

Post by Dauntless » Dec 21 2012 12:04pm

About to do some 2 miles of walking and 15 by bus and 20 by train to LAX, where I might be able to get in the air before the end. If all blows up, think of the view: I could get PICTURES. If I make it to Texas, maybe there'll be time for dinner with relatives.

Meanwhile, Ma had it all figured out that her ranch would survive the end of the world, this being only the latest of many dates over the last 14 years. BUT-- She's in the hospital. Maybe home for Christmas, but she'll miss the end of the world. Not sure if the end of the world protection extends to that little town.

Meanwhile a woman has been told she's getting the $7.4 million in gold her reclusive cousin had in his garage when he died. Might not get her hands on it today, darn it. Ruins everything.

Any sufficiently advanced technology is INDISTINGUISHABLE FROM MAGIC!
- Arthur C. Clarke

Kingfish   10 GW

10 GW
Location: Redmond, WA-USA, Earth, Sol, Orion–Cygnus Arm, Milky Way. Age: > yesterday < tomorrow

Post by Kingfish » Dec 21 2012 1:01pm

bigmoose wrote:You guys better get prepared... they are coming for us! One of their bodies were unearthed in Mexico recently... :pancake:
skull.jpg
bigmoose, those sloped heads remind me of another story...

A better British version of the trailer here.

LMOA, KF
PS - Glad to see you all survived to Year-1, or is this The Afterlife? :wink:
* My 2WD Garden Wall
* Kinaye MotorSports
* Primary ride: 2WD Disc 9C 2806-equiv / Dual Lyen 12FET / 20S7P LiPo.
* Epics: Going to California: 2011 8)
* 50-mph, 101, 10k-Club. 12,527 miles-to-date, 7037 as 2WD.

It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion.
It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed.
The hands acquire shakes, the shakes become a warning.
It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion.

Drunkskunk   100 GW

100 GW

Post by Drunkskunk » Dec 21 2012 1:11pm

Partied my ass off. Some friends used it as an excuse to throw a party.

Seems pretty funny, several thousand years ago someone made a calender that extended thousands of years into their future. And it finally ran out. So a few nut jobs decided that means the world must be going to end. I love humans, they're hysterical.

My Bet is on Giant Space Echidnas. Its the Giant Space Echidnas that will end us all. Sure, they'll say they only plan to enslave us, but they realty just want to eat our spleens.

Keep watching the skies. Sometime today the Giant Space Echidnas will be landing.
Buy the ticket, take the ride.
Monster Bike:http://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewto ... =6&t=38667

dogman dan   100 GW

100 GW

Post by dogman dan » Dec 21 2012 3:34pm

Oddly enough, a freind of mines computer did crash today. She's getting a blue screen, so maybe not a complete hard drive melt down.

Coincidence? or Chupacabra hackers from mexico? Who knows?

Meanwhile, just got back from work and the rest of the afternoons armageddon line up on Turner movie channel looks good. The Harry Belafonte one on at 6 pm eastern is good. I just love bad movies, the one early this mornig with the runaway missle was sooooo funny.

amberwolf   100 GW

100 GW
Location: Phoenix, AZ, USA, Earth, Sol, Local Bubble, Orion Arm, Milky Way, Local Group

Post by amberwolf » Dec 21 2012 3:39pm

Drunkskunk wrote:Keep watching the skies. Sometime today the Giant Space Echidnas will be landing.
Nope, it'll be Elephants.

Green Machine   100 kW

100 kW

Post by Green Machine » Dec 21 2012 4:54pm

Riding up high on the hills on my electric bike. :)

Electroddy   10 mW

10 mW

Post by Electroddy » Dec 21 2012 6:58pm

amberwolf wrote:
Drunkskunk wrote:Keep watching the skies. Sometime today the Giant Space Echidnas will be landing.
Nope, it'll be Elephants.

Nope that's BABY Elephants!! :mrgreen: I have read the book about 5 times and it never gets old. 8)
1978 FL250 Honda Odyssey converted to 36v electric

Toorbough ULL-Zeveigh   10 MW

10 MW

Post by Toorbough ULL-Zeveigh » Dec 21 2012 9:03pm

dec 21st & there's no hockey.
that's the end of the world right there.

and word thru out the known galaxy is
go for the tasty canadians first.
dripping in maple syrup, mmmmm... yummy.
Kick down the barricades Listen what the kids say.
From time to time people change their minds But the Frock is here to stay.
I've seen it all from the bottom to the top Everywhere I go the kids wanna Frock.
Around the world or around the block Everywhere I go the kids wanna Frock.

Trackman417   10 kW

10 kW

Post by Trackman417 » Dec 21 2012 9:08pm

Made a bet with my friend around four years ago about this topic......
I lost
I am going to get some cash to pay him what he is owed. :|
We still got a couple of hours on my side of the world, so lets see what happens
K2 Sidewinder
H4065 36 mph
20s2p 10aH lipo battery pack
If it didn't kill you, it just built your character.
You know your bike is powerful when even you, the builder, can't control it.
Customer 00001 at our very own Bigmooses online store http://mtg-technologies.com/zencart/ Great guy, great products.

amberwolf   100 GW

100 GW
Location: Phoenix, AZ, USA, Earth, Sol, Local Bubble, Orion Arm, Milky Way, Local Group

Re: What are you doing for armageddon?

Post by amberwolf » Dec 22 2012 1:38am

I had to test the v3 CA and some controller repairs on CrazyBike2 anyway, so I rode to an "End of the World"-themed party some friends were having.

7+ mile ride was fun, but the party was loud, smelly, smoky, no one I actually knew had any interest in talking to me as they had better things to do and didn't want my help, and no one else of the perhaps two hundred people there was interesting enough, so I left after a short while and rode back.

No idiots on the road, but a whole buncha police cars with lights flashing all around a Wells Fargo on my way back home thru Metrocenter.

I did get stares as I rode by lots of poeple walking to the party from up to half a mile away because there's little place to park around there, but no one seemed curious enough to say anything to me or ask me anything, even when I was parked and getting off the bike when I arrived, or back on when I left.

Didn't seem like any world-ending was happening today around me, unless I was just oblivious (whcih happens).

bigmoose   100 MW

100 MW

Post by bigmoose » Dec 22 2012 11:04am

I see the world has continued to revolve just fine this morning... imagine that! :mrgreen:

... off to the beverage store for some holiday cheer.

EDIT: I can't believe it! My favorite micro-brew store has been closed by the Mayan calendar episode. I pull up today and there is no one in the parking lot. I walk up and the sign(s) say "Closed Forever" What in the world?~! I am at a loss. How does a "brewski" store go out of business the week before Christmas/New Years? Oh the travesty... :evil: :x :evil:
"Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly. Leave the rest to God..." all the best, Dave

salty9   1 kW

1 kW

Post by salty9 » Dec 22 2012 11:26am

We didn't get to see if TS Eliot was right ". . . . .this is the way the world ends, not with a bang but a whimper."

Joseph C.   1 MW

1 MW

Post by Joseph C. » Dec 23 2012 10:17pm

bigmoose wrote:You guys better get prepared... they are coming for us! One of their bodies were unearthed in Mexico recently... :pancake:
skull.jpg
Well we all lived!

Damn, that picture looks very painful. Imagine doing that to a kid. :shock:
Yellow Magpie - Home Of The Talented And The Interesting

http://yellowmagpie.com

salty9   1 kW

1 kW

Post by salty9 » Dec 24 2012 8:39am

bigmoose wrote:EDIT: I can't believe it! My favorite micro-brew store has been closed by the Mayan calendar episode. I pull up today and there is no one in the parking lot. I walk up and the sign(s) say "Closed Forever" What in the world?~! I am at a loss. How does a "brewski" store go out of business the week before Christmas/New Years? Oh the travesty... :evil: :x :evil:
There is always DIY and you could probably do it better. Cheers.

Is the Sphere ripe for a zymology thread?

bigmoose   100 MW

100 MW

Post by bigmoose » Dec 24 2012 12:02pm

Salty, you sophisticated, educated person that you are! I had to google zymology! I think we could all use a good Zymology thread about now!!

I know my Grandmother was able to make wine in the cellar that would flare when you put a match to it. The literature says it is impossible to ferment to such a level... some say my Aunt Lucy was spiking it with "stronger spirits!" I have been unsuccessful in my Zymology experiments, and my Father's exploded behind the refrigerator... :shock: The skill appears to have been lost among the generations.

Jeremy Harris   10 GW

10 GW

Post by Jeremy Harris » Dec 24 2012 12:44pm

bigmoose wrote:Salty, you sophisticated, educated person that you are! I had to google zymology! I think we could all use a good Zymology thread about now!!

I know my Grandmother was able to make wine in the cellar that would flare when you put a match to it. The literature says it is impossible to ferment to such a level... some say my Aunt Lucy was spiking it with "stronger spirits!" I have been unsuccessful in my Zymology experiments, and my Father's exploded behind the refrigerator... :shock: The skill appears to have been lost among the generations.
I had a friend (sadly passed away now) who was seriously into fermenting strong wines. I used to sneak samples into work and get it tested for him for ethanol content. Best he got was around 18%, which is way higher than the books say is normal. His technique was to start with a modest sugar content, almost ferment that out, then add syrup and get the fermentation going again. He'd repeat this, in small increments, until he found the point where fermentation would not restart. We suspect that what was happening was that the yeast was gradually evolving with each generation to become more alcohol tolerant, and by taking this process fairly slowly he was giving time for new generations of super-alcohol tolerant yeasts to evolve.

Sadly he was a diabetic who loved alcohol, not a recipe for a long life.
Please ask questions on the forum, rather than by PM, as it helps others and you'll get a better range of answers.

salty9   1 kW

1 kW

Post by salty9 » Dec 24 2012 1:08pm

I saw an article about Sam Adams brewery where they claim to have developed a strain of yeast that will produce over 20% alcohol. Found this on the internet http://www.hambletonbard.com/how-to-mak ... ne-alcohol

dogman dan   100 GW

100 GW

Post by dogman dan » Dec 24 2012 5:36pm

I believe dessert wines can go as high as 18%, but that's about it. I don't know about the yeast evolving, but there are wine yeasts that tolerate a higher percentage than beer yeasts.

I used to do the same thing to make apricot dessert wine. Starting out with just the fruit, I gradually added sugar till it just couldn't go anymore, and then added more till it was just about surypy. At that point, a year or so of settling and aging. Took forever to go clear with so much sugar in it. Then when crytal clear, I made it into brandy with the foritfication method, which is legal in the USA. In simple terms, I added everclear till I had what I called flamable pancake syrup. Then back in the hole in the backyard, for about 5 years of mellowing.

That stuff was good, but such a pita I only made about 25 gallons of it. Plus the apricot tree died. Man, it was realllly smooth by 10 years old.

Sancho's Horse   1 kW

1 kW
Location: Muncie, Indiana (USA) or Beijing or Tianjin (China)

Post by Sancho's Horse » Dec 24 2012 6:08pm

I can tell people that I am an amateur zymurgist now, thanks for that salty9!

My son was named after my grandfather (Jack), and my wife wanted part of his name to come from her side, and her first name is Dan (she is chinese), so my son's name is Jackson Daniel. When I told her about the potential connection she just asked if it was a good alcohol. 8) I am afraid a zymurgy thread would get me labeled an alcoholic (which I am not).