How to shorten the wheelbase of a Bike E

Talk about anything and everything here within reason.

Rassy   10 MW

10 MW

Re: How to shorten the wheelbase of a Bike E

Post by Rassy » Dec 29 2012 9:12pm

I'm surprised, those I-Beam frames look pretty beefy.
-Rassy-

Two Delta Trikes equipped with a Bafang BBS02
viewtopic.php?f=28&t=88536&p=1291260#p1291260

StudEbiker   1 MW

1 MW

Post by StudEbiker » Dec 29 2012 9:47pm

They said he had enough power to propel the Bike E over 30mph, so it probably had more power than it should have. Also, the aluminum is actually pretty thin on them. I can squeeze the sides with just my hand and get it to compress slightly.

neptronix   100 GW

100 GW

Post by neptronix » Dec 29 2012 10:21pm

Wow, i thought those things were made out of steel.

All these flexy flimsy recumbent designs scare me. The industry needs to give up on the idea of making these bikes as light as uprights. They need to be as stiff as uprights and that means throwing some extra metal at them, especially on bikes like this where you don't have geometry on your side!
"Love and compassion are necessities, not luxuries. Without them, humanity cannot survive." - Dalai Lama

My first major build: 1.6kW 8T MAC motor on a Trek 4500.
The new all-arounder: Leafmotor 1500w @ 4kW on a Turner O2 full suspension.
The monster scooter: 20" eZee on a Cannondale Semi Recumbent.
Whipper-snapper: ? on a lightweight BikeE Semi Recumbent

StudEbiker   1 MW

1 MW

Post by StudEbiker » Dec 29 2012 11:04pm

My Rans Rocket is chromoly as well as my GFs Rans Tailwind. I got to tell you for speed and aero the Rocket wins easily, but for comfort...... that Tailwind soaks up the bumps like a Cadillac Fleetwood. It feels so nice it ridiculous.

The Bike E Is SUPER stiff. It has NO frame flex whatsoever, it just wasn't designed to take the kind of forces that that guy's big gas engine with CRAZY gearing put on it.

I would love (and may end up building) a chromoly Bike E so that it would have more flex in it.

neptronix   100 GW

100 GW

Post by neptronix » Dec 29 2012 11:10pm

Heh, that gas engine looks like a 50cc 4 stroke. Torque wise, it would be putting out far less than what our electric motors put out from a stall. It's all that torque being transmitted to the pivot point is what did it in.

Aluminum has AWFUL ride characteristics. IMHO i think it's only widespread these days because it's cheaper than chromoly.. that is it..

Sucks to see what happened to that bike though anyway!
"Love and compassion are necessities, not luxuries. Without them, humanity cannot survive." - Dalai Lama

My first major build: 1.6kW 8T MAC motor on a Trek 4500.
The new all-arounder: Leafmotor 1500w @ 4kW on a Turner O2 full suspension.
The monster scooter: 20" eZee on a Cannondale Semi Recumbent.
Whipper-snapper: ? on a lightweight BikeE Semi Recumbent

amberwolf   100 GW

100 GW
Location: Phoenix, AZ, USA, Earth, Sol, Local Bubble, Orion Arm, Milky Way, Local Group

Post by amberwolf » Dec 30 2012 6:25am

neptronix wrote:All these flexy flimsy recumbent designs scare me. The industry needs to give up on the idea of making these bikes as light as uprights. They need to be as stiff as uprights and that means throwing some extra metal at them, especially on bikes like this where you don't have geometry on your side!
On my semi-recumbent CrazyBike2, when I had a chain jam that would certainly have folded up a beam bike like his, it destroyed my rear wheel instead (and the chain itself, pulling it apart)--but it did not destroy the bike frame, because the frame was built to be strong for cargo, and couldn't flex along the line of chain tension like that.
http://electricle.blogspot.com/2009/12/ ... sible.html
http://electricle.blogspot.com/2010/01/ ... -evil.html

dogman dan   100 GW

100 GW

Post by dogman dan » Dec 30 2012 7:00am

Says a lot for the strength of the chain.

I suspect some metal fatigue was involved. The frame likely flexed at that point for quite some time weakening that spot, till whammo.

This fatique issue is the main reason I don't recomend powering up really weak cheap frames much past 1500w.

recumbent   100 kW

100 kW

Post by recumbent » Dec 30 2012 7:09pm

It looks like the front forks are bent back also. There is more to the story than is told. The Corona beer sticker in bold lettering might be a clue.

Aluminum bike frames look nice & fat with the huge, almost comical welds, I bought only one and the ride was soo harsh even with the front suspension, i sold it two years later.

My cr-moly recumbent frame soaks-up small bumps just fine, like riding on a leaf spring 7 feet long.
Ebike in use:
LWB Recumbent bike, Sram i-9 internal gears.
Power: 58V, 16 amp/hr, lipo batteries.
max speed: 52 km/h (30 mph),
max range: 40 km's, incl stop&go few times, minimal pedaling.
New build: Delta recumbent trike

Zoot Katz   1 MW

1 MW

Post by Zoot Katz » Dec 30 2012 10:56pm

Given the choice of a Bike E or a bus pass, I'll walk, thanks.

The fingers   100 GW

100 GW

Post by The fingers » Dec 31 2012 12:08am

From an E to an F, just sits a little higher on the musical scale.
Black Schwinn High Sierra
Blue Schwinn Cruiser 5
Blue Schwinn High Plains
Black Fiore Cruzer 5: Amped Warp Drive 26" Front DD/SLA kit
http://ghostbikes.org/
http://www.rideofsilence.org/main.php
Hebrews 9:27

dogman dan   100 GW

100 GW

Post by dogman dan » Dec 31 2012 8:14am

I didn't notice the bent forks, that would imply that some kind of inertial event occured. Something along the lines of " while looking at my wattmeter I found a parked pickup truck".

StudEbiker   1 MW

1 MW

Post by StudEbiker » Dec 31 2012 5:56pm

I think the bent forks may just be a result of the inevitable crash that happened. I don't think they are actually bent, they are just turned in relation to the handlebars.

recumbent   100 kW

100 kW

Post by recumbent » Dec 31 2012 6:32pm

StudEbiker wrote:I think the bent forks may just be a result of the inevitable crash that happened. I don't think they are actually bent, they are just turned in relation to the handlebars.
Then the forks were put on backwards, or the steerer tube assembly was spun 180 deg. they're bent backwards bud. Take a closer look?

edit... the brake calipers seem to be in front like my older bikes were, yet the forks bend back, and the handle bars sideways, quite the puzzle indeed.
Ebike in use:
LWB Recumbent bike, Sram i-9 internal gears.
Power: 58V, 16 amp/hr, lipo batteries.
max speed: 52 km/h (30 mph),
max range: 40 km's, incl stop&go few times, minimal pedaling.
New build: Delta recumbent trike

StudEbiker   1 MW

1 MW

Post by StudEbiker » Dec 31 2012 10:25pm

recumbent wrote:
StudEbiker wrote:I think the bent forks may just be a result of the inevitable crash that happened. I don't think they are actually bent, they are just turned in relation to the handlebars.
Then the forks were put on backwards, or the steerer tube assembly was spun 180 deg. they're bent backwards bud. Take a closer look?

edit... the brake calipers seem to be in front like my older bikes were, yet the forks bend back, and the handle bars sideways, quite the puzzle indeed.
The brakes should be behind the fork on a Bike E. The fork is turned 180 deg. from where it should be. I think what may have happened is that the handle bars turned 90 deg. in the accident, then for whatever reason the fork was turned the wrong way for the picture.

Nothing about that front fork looks bent to me though. They look exactly like the forks on the two Bike Es I have (and all the other Bike Es I've ever seen), just turned backwards.