Another stolen bike.

deronmoped

10 kW
Luckily, it wasn't me.

I went to the convention center the other day to see the Auto Show. Took my E-bike and brought two locks along. When ever I go down town or I'm going to be away from my bike for more then a couple of minutes, I always double lock it.

I must of had a premonition that their was going to be a theft, because I brought my best two locks. A heavy duty cable one and a cable/U-lock one. I locked my bike up (cables around wheels and rack, U-lock around frame and rack) with the other bikes in the racks they provide in a high foot traffic area. Proceeded to go into the Auto Show and check out all the new rides. Got to talk to some real knowledgeable guys in the E-car field. One guy that built them himself and a rep from Chevrolet. Seems all the heavy hitters are coming out with their new E-rides.

Well, after a few hours, I went back out to my bike. There was another bicyclist standing close to where I was locked up holding a cut cable in his hand. I asked him what had happened and he said that his buddy and him came out to find one of their bikes stolen. They had locked both of the bikes up together, with what looked like fairly cheap locks, maybe 1/4" to 3/8" cable locks. He was out there waiting for his buddy to return with a cop. Well, his buddy showed up a couple of minutes later with a cop and proceeded to show him the scene of the crime. I got a question into the cop about what type of person steals bikes in this area and he said it was more then likely the tweekers.

What I learned was:

1) Those cheap looking cable locks look like they cut very cleanly with what must of been a lineman's pliers.
2) High traffic areas offer no added security.
3) Making your bike less attractive to steal then the other bikes, works out in your favor.
4) A U-lock should be in everyone's arsenal and must be used.
5) Having two different locking solutions probably goes a long way in making your bike more difficult to steal.

Also, not sure if this figures into a creeps mind. But, these junkies are looking for something that would be practical for them. And I believe a E-bike is not. First, having no charger, they could not use it for their transportation and second, they would have a difficult time selling it for their drug fix. In other words, having something unfamiliar to them, might mean they will steal the bike next to yours.

deronmoped said:
Also, not sure if this figures into a creeps mind. But, these junkies are looking for something that would be practical for them. And I believe a E-bike is not. First, having no charger, they could not use it for their transportation and second, they would have a difficult time selling it for their drug fix. In other words, having something unfamiliar to them, might mean they will steal the bike next to yours.

Never assume logic when it comes to these 'people' if they were capable of rational thought, they wouldn't be stealing bicycles to get their next fix.

Yeah, no logic there in those minds. But they are after whatever fences easiest, and gets them the largest fix. So they like a pretty bike for sure, and go straight for the logos. Specialized, or even better, Kona, etc.

Never leave a pretty bike, ANYWHERE. It's no different that say, leaving your laptop or smart phone laying there, with a lock on it. Of course the locks only deter the honest folks.

Definitely the smaller cable locks cut like butter with a bolt cutter just 10 inches long, that easily slips into the pants. But even big cables cut easy if they have time and privacy. Not wanting to get caught with burglary tools, they know a cable can be cut with a bic lighter and toenail clippers. Heat the cable ruining it's temper, then snip snip. Even a very fat cable can be cut in just a miniute or two.

I always figured that most of these thieves have limited tools.

I mean, any tool they have of value would be sold for cash, cigarettes, booze or drugs. No low life is going to have a set of Snap-On tools or even a decent set of tools at their disposal. Old beat up crappy bolt cutters will not cut a good cable, only smash it. They are better off with a hack saw and it's even questionable they will have a decent blade to cut with. People talk about cordless tools, like a cordless angle grinder, but how practical is that for some junkie. Heck, I have pretty much every tool under the Sun, but I have no cordless grinder.

What I'm getting at is, I believe there is a level of sophistication most of these thieves are going to achieve and all we have to do is stay one level above that. I'm betting most of the bikes that are stolen that have good locking solutions are the bikes that are left out day after day in the same location. A situation like that allows the interested thief to plan the job and get the needed tool. To lock up a bike with a decent lock in a location that is not used all the time, makes it much less likely that a thief will be in the right place at the right time with the correct tool to do the job.

I would never use a cable lock even the fatty ones cut like butter with a small easy to conceal cutter. It's over in a couple of seconds. Heavy chains and U-locks are a slight bit better but still good for only a couple minutes for a cordless Dremel tool with a thin cutoff disc even less for a big pair of bolt cutters made for the job. Thieves will steal tools at a whim. Locks keep the honest people honest and the opportunistic thieves at bay at best. It's a gamble to leave your bike unattended for any length of time if you can't see it through the window. If you loose the bet the amount of time before your next build may be very short indeed.

Who said they buy the tool? Maybe he does hock it right away, but not till after he's cut your lock.

i have seen little motion sensor switches on ebay. combine one of those with a timer to run a piezoelectric alarm buzzer.

bury it inside the battery case, use a hidden switch to arm it.

somebody has to do this as a project....

crackheads.. urgh.... nothing logical goes thru a spun up brain that has not slept in 5 days, so expect nothing that makes sense to normal people from that bunch.

I do the 2 lock thing as well, cable lock thru the front wheel and frame ( quick release front with disk ) .. and the U-bolt thru the rear wheel/frame and rack.

Location has a whole lot to do with it, my old job moved from one location in a very bad part of town, i took the bike inside the building, only way it would last more than a week.

the 2nd location was better, and far from the local shopping mall or any hangouts, in full sight of a dozen smokers that worked there and know who's bikes are on the rack..

I use the BMX for trips like this, battery in my backpack, no chain ! :twisted: ( front wheel motor on the rear and it's a 100$ crappy bmx with bent cranks )

The trike is surprisingly not a theft magnet, so unusual, and with all the wires sticking out the side of the seat, most people are afraid to walk near it ! lol.. ( heavy sob to throw into a truck too.. ) And with a trailer on the back, it's even more of a weird machine that thieves stay far away from.

dnmun said:
i have seen little motion sensor switches on ebay. combine one of those with a timer to run a piezoelectric alarm buzzer.

bury it inside the battery case, use a hidden switch to arm it.

somebody has to do this as a project....

Problem with those is that anyone that moved the bike rack ( like other cyclists ) will trigger it. would need to be used on a standalone spot.

Heavy duty u-lock and hardened chain. Add cable for wheels. I also use a non-quick release skewer on my front wheel. I'd try to put the chain through the motor wheel and frame, then the ulock through the frame.

That much deterrent makes a thief look for an easier target, almost always.

Around here, LOTS of people use thin cable locks, so I don't worry much. Locking up next to one of those is helpful. :|

I used to use a logging chain in plastic sleeve, with a Master lock. Through both wheels, the frame, and a stationary object. Nevfer had an issue with that setup. Every time I left it unlocked, it vanished! That was in the eighties, and a regular ten speed. Today, with an Echopper build in the works, I'm hoping to go the same route, but with so much still on the bike, I fear vandalism more than theft.
Brian L.

I frequently leave deathbike out and unlocked. In fact, I don't believe its ever had a lock touch it.

Seems to stay in place for me just fine. I imagine if somebody did decide to steal it, I would just follow the short trail of blood back to my bike and ride home.

liveforphysics said:
I frequently leave deathbike out and unlocked. In fact, I don't believe its ever had a lock touch it.

Seems to stay in place for me just fine. I imagine if somebody did decide to steal it, I would just follow the short trail of blood back to my bike and ride home.

All you do is make it undesirable, either by how It looks, how its locked up or where its locked up. I put plastic fenders on mine and park it in a motorcycle spot.

liveforphysics said:
I imagine if somebody did decide to steal it, I would just follow the short trail of blood back to my bike and ride home.

Oh, I don't suggest you be doing that. The lawyers might already have it staked out trying to figure out who they get to sue over just where deathbike landed.

Back