** STUDY CLOSED **

Zenid

100 W
Hi folks,

This phase of the study is now closed. Thanks to everyone who took part.

Restricted to bed due to whiplash thought I'd give this ago. A bit of a pain to do on a phone.

Cheers! Get well soon.

I'm trying it out, but I have trouble with stuff like what Experiment1 seems to be about, because of my autistic tendencies. I hope it doesn't make the data unusable for you. :(

During the Experiment1, the site went away, though, and I had to reload several times to get it to come back. Hope it didnt' glitch any data. :|

(also, I just realized that I gave the wrong email, not the one associated with my paypal, and I don't see anywhere to fix that. :( )

amberwolf said:
I'm trying it out, but I have trouble with stuff like what Experiment1 seems to be about, because of my autistic tendencies. I hope it doesn't make the data unusable for you. :(

During the Experiment1, the site went away, though, and I had to reload several times to get it to come back. Hope it didnt' glitch any data. :|

(also, I just realized that I gave the wrong email, not the one associated with my paypal, and I don't see anywhere to fix that. :( )
Hi Amberwolf,

I just checked your data, and it looks mostly okay, and nothing got lost. As long as you don't rush through it you should be fine, as your recognition doesn't look particularly impaired. All you have to do is rate the faces in terms of how much they look 'angry', 'happy' etc.., and you seem to have understood that.

I opened one more experiment for you if you want it. As for your paypal email, you can just email me at my email address shown on the site and I'll make sure the money goes to your Paypal account email and not the one you entered for the site.

If the site went away, it's because the server went down temporarily. Its uptime is quite good so you were just unlucky there. I coded it so that it saves everything as you go along, so the worst case scenario is you have to log back in again and pick up where you left off.

Thanks for taking part!

I did the study. Look at pictures of faces. So many faces. Click on radio buttons to rate how ya think people are feeling. Estimate that I looked at 15,120 radio buttons. Got $18 deposited into my PayPal account. I am Happy :D

xvams web site worked perfectly for me.

Zenid,
I emailed your study link to 2 other people who I thought might have time to take your study and have the desire for $. If those people spread the news of your study you might wind up with too many people taking the study and a lack of funds to pay the people. Hope you have a way to stop your study and take down the web site.

marty said:
I did the study. Look at pictures of faces. So many faces. Click on radio buttons to rate how ya think people are feeling. Estimate that I looked at 15,120 radio buttons. Got $18 deposited into my PayPal account. I am Happy :D

xvams web site worked perfectly for me.

Zenid,
I emailed your study link to 2 other people who I thought might have time to take your study and have the desire for $. If those people spread the news of your study you might wind up with too many people taking the study and a lack of funds to pay the people. Hope you have a way to stop your study and take down the web site.
Hi Marty!

Thanks for spreading the word!

Yes! I'm prepared for if I get a lot of people. I manually assign experiments to user IDs before the IDs get assigned as users join, that way I can control how many experiments are automatically there when people first log in. If way too many people sign up, then a message says to contact me to enable the experiments. That way, I can "throttle" the study and keep everything under control. :)

Thanks to everyone who took part so far. I still have 78 experiments available, so for anyone who has time on their hands and wants to make a bit of pocket money, here's the link. It's for a good cause!
http://www.xvams.com

Thanks to everyone who took part.
67 experiments remaining.

Experiments 3 and 4 are now LIVE!

If you participated before, please ask if you want to be assigned any of these. The next few participants joining have both Experiment 3 & 4 automatically set up and waiting.

Background
I am currently recruiting English-speaking participants, 18 years of age or older for an online study to help develop a tool for assessing mood in stroke patients who have aphasia. The website for the study is here: http://www.xvams.com

In order to take part you will need to create a username and password. A valid email address is required, but it will be used only by the experimenter, and only to contact you regarding the experiment if necessary. The experiments involve rating images of facial expressions on a number of scales, or locating images on a scale denoted by a slider. Participants can do either or both experiments subject to availability, for $7/£4 for EACH experiment. This study has been approved by the University of Nottingham, Faculty of Medicine & Health Sciences Ethics Committee. It is hoped that this study will offer better ways of assessing stroke patients who have serious communication problems as a result of aphasia.

Further information about the experiment and a downloadable information sheet is available here:
http://www.xvams.com/about.aspx
Your participation is greatly appreciated.

calab said:
$6 to $12 an hour, I was game until i saw that
No, these experiments are shorter (about 25-35 mins), so they pay less. £4/$7 per experiment equates to about $14/hour if you want to look at it that way...

If you do BOTH experiments, then it is £8 or $14 total.

Someone PMed me asking if this is still on. Yes, the experiments are still on and will remain on until I post an update. If it's closed, I'll change the first post to reflect this.

Back