Will be more rain tomorrow and the next couple days, so I dug out the gutter drainpipes Bill gave me when they took down their carport addition, some time ago. I'd intended to use them for this, sort of, but today I did it a different way than planned.
Since I don't actually have gutters, I was just going to reroute the drip off the roof-angle-intersections, where more runoff ends up than on some edges. But when I was planning to do this, there wasnt' much growing stuff in most areas. Now, the only places I don't need the runoff to go anyway are right over the sidewalk in front of the front door, and at the end of the carport over the driveway concrete.
So I cut the drainpipe lengthwise along the side opposite the fold-seam, using the angle grinder with a cutoff wheel, and unfolded the seam, drilled holes every couple of feet along the cut edge. This gave me two short (3-foot) lengths of gutter, and two long (8-foot) lengths.
One short one went over the front door/porch sidewalk, to redirect the runoff to the east side, where the lantana there isnt' as well-grown (probably due to the shade from the pine tree).
The two long ones take care of the end of the carport, with the south one emptying into the front yard where a mulberry and some lantana is growing, and will eventually shade the driveway and part of the house. It's only a couple feet tall right now, though. The north one empties into the backyard, via the other short length, to another tree there (and lantana) that wll shade the north side of the driveway and some of the house. This tree is already about as tall as the house, but is much slower growing than the mulberries are,a nd shades yearround with no leaf shedding in winter. (some sort of eucalyptus I think).
But it was an "adventure" to get that far.
First, the cutoff wheel was almost worn out when I started, so partway thru the first cut I had to change it. No big deal...except I couldnt' find the pin wrench. Ok, no problem, I'll just use pliers...no go. Too tight. Tap with screwdriver. Nope. Vise grips...cant' find the ones big enough to grab it. Keep digging for wrench, eventually I find it fallen behind the workbench pinned between it and the wall. :/
Get them cut, and ready to drill holes. Can't find the chuck key for the drill, should be in the drillbit box, but isn't. Not anywhere to be found (still haven't found it). So I pop the battery for the cordless into the charger (it is old NiCd and won't hold a charge more than a day or so). Wait an hour or so and it finishes, pop it in the cordless and chuck up the bit, touch to gutter and press trigger, and DRILlll..rrrrrstop.
I check it's ovltage and it's nowhere near even the nominal 18v it should be; so open it up and find 6 out of 15 cells are dead, 0v even while charging. I dig out the other half-dead packs from other cordless tools, and find enough good cells to make a pack, but my left hand is really beginning to ache inside, and i don't think I can work with the tabs to cut and solder them witout damaging something.
So....I get one of the old RC LiPo packs, 6s so it's more voltage than the drill normally sees (about 24v full, vs about 18-20v), with less sag, but I'll just have to not use it to excess.
I taped the pack to the top half of the shell of the old NiCd pack, and ran a pair of wires up to the contacts in the stem. Another hour and a half to charge up the RC pack to "full" for 4.1v/cell (LiIon mode), and plugged the wires into the connector on the pack (cuz I can't find the mating connecto r either), and violay, now I can drill holes....
Would've been faster to use a hammer and nail to punch holes. (but I still needed something powered to drive the screws in when up on the ladder; I cant' turn them in by hand unless the holes are predrilled in the wood, too, maybe not evne then, nto for more than a couple at a time).
So much of the day passes by this way (it's not the only project i"m working on, just all that relates to this thread), and I also get overheated a few times doing some of this stuff outside, and have to rest several times.
Eventually I got the gutters up, though. I forgot to tkae pics, though, so those have to wait till tomorrow since it's dark and I'm too worn out to get up and take them now; trying to get to sleep but keep wkaing from dozes.
So now that rainwater will go directly to plants that need it, instad of first letting it run out to the street, and then having to pump it out of the street puddle.
We'll see how well it works tomorrow or next day, most likely.