DIY cheap fly/mosquito trap

spinningmagnets

Staff member
Similar to an antique lobster box trap, narrow opening to get in to the bait, 99% can't find their way out again. Mosquitos pass out and and die from lack of O2. The wife found it on Facebook...

images

Have you noticed the Mosquitos are already out! Here is a homemade trap to help keep you and the kiddos from being a blood donor!!!

HOMEMADE MOSQUITO TRAP:
This tip uses a common 2-liter bottle, but of course a smaller water bottle could be used.

Items needed:
1 cup of water
1/4 cup of brown sugar
1 gram of yeast
1 2-liter bottle

HOW:
1. Cut the plastic bottle in half.
2. Mix brown sugar with hot water. Let cool. When cold, pour in the bottom half of the bottle.
3. Add the yeast. No need to mix. It creates carbon dioxide, which attracts mosquitoes.
4. Place the funnel part, upside down, into the other half of the bottle, taping them together if desired.
5. Wrap the bottle with something black, leaving the top uncovered, and place it outside in an area away from your normal gathering area. (Mosquitoes are also drawn to the color black.)

6? One drop of liquid dish soap can break the surface tension of the liquid so when a mosquito/fly lands on the liquid, they sink (surprise!) instead of floating as they are used to doing. Cheap experiment...

For flies I have heard of using cheap sweet wine, or apple cider vinegar. I'm not sure flies are attracted by the carbon dioxide (from your breath) so I'm fairly certain the yeast in the recipe can be deleted.

been making those for years, every summer it catches 20+ wasps every couple weeks. Just used lemonade, but should try your scientific blend.

spinningmagnets said:
For flies I have heard of using cheap sweet wine, or apple cider vinegar. I'm not sure flies are attracted by the carbon dioxide (from your breath) so I'm fairly certain the yeast in the recipe can be deleted.

On the farm we used milk in the fly traps. I've heard that flies like yellow, and mosquitos like blue; on hearing that they like black, maybe dark blue might work. :)

Did you know wasps eat mosquitoes? Not that you want a big ol hornets nest on your house, but if you don't like mosquitoes, don't kill wasps that aren't nesting in a place that annoys you.

Kill the mosquitoes though, with the C02 bait. The females that bite humans are attracted by the C02 in your breath. Damn mosquito is what gave me West Nile disease, and wrecked my life. :evil:

nice, good idea. i'm gonna fill mine with blood. technically the best bait no? :D

Actually the best bait should be a sweaty rag and a little CO2 generator. There is something in human sweat that attracts mosquitoes by itself, but no one has yet found out what (sweat is really a pretty complicated liquid) - no, it's not salt. A couple of years ago, the Rockefeller Foundation (I think) gave out a pretty big grant to a fellow for a device for killing malaria-carrying mosquitoes in Africa at night, and his bait was literally a piece of cloth which was worn as a headband during the day and wrapped around a heated canister which emitted a small amount of CO2. Don't remember the killing part, but I do remember it didn't involve someone staying up all night with a flyswatter. Maybe a robot with a flyswatter? or a bevy of bats (OK, colony) kept as pets in the home?

But I like your yeast-trap.

Cameron

spinningmagnets said:
According to Conan the Barbarian, only if it's the blood of your enemies.

hahaha had i not vanquished all, this could have worked.

Harbor Freight has a $3 electric 'tennis racket' that works great to kill mosquitos, but it's an active not passive method. 1500volts from a few D batteries.

Back