I C U: ES Spotting!

Kingfish

100 MW
Redmond, WA-USA, Earth, Sol, Orion–Cygnus Arm, Mil
On the way to work this morn, I coasted on down to the bottom of my hill and waited for traffic to clear so I could pull out onto the main road. It's busy, so it's worth waiting for safe passage.

As it happened - I espied a guy on a cargo bike zip by from north to south - kinda looking at me funny as he did (but I get that a lot so no biggie, right?); I did the obligatory abbreviated wave as I do to all kindred riders.

Traffic cleared and I pulled out. Caught up with the guy and it was my turn to zip by him. A quarter mile or so later I pull into the left turn lane, and just as I came to a stop - there's the guy on the cargo bike right behind me like - hot on my heels... hey, how'dhedodat? :? :lol:

In a matter of microseconds he communicates that he's seen me on ES; know's my ebike! Light turns green so I motion to the side where we can chat.

His name is Eric, and he's commuting from Maltby to Issaquah - no small feat! That's got to be about an hour for me at my speed. He's running a 9C for RWD with "16S10P" batts I think is what he said.

Now here's the deal: This is the very first time I have run across another ES Member in the realm that was not already planned, invited, or arraigned. Fact is the only time I've ever met another ES denizen in these parts is Luke before he moved to Santa Cruz, and all the ES peoples I met On The Road in 2011.

So this is really a cool happenstance to finally meet another ES Dude doing it in the field!

I don't know why I didn't think to take a picture. Had the camera... just didn't pop into my pointy head.

I hope "Eric" will come forward and introduce himself. Neat guy!

Thanks for the clever spotting and raising my awareness up another cool notch!
Safe travels friend: You made my morning KF 8)

I spotted an ES member, Rodney on Sunday I however was in a car
he came towards us on the opposite side of the road, first time I have
Seen a non arranged meeting of a member...I have seen half
A dozen electric bikes in the last two weeks also! 3 in one day, they were
All store bought looking rides ... that's not including the 3 electric postman
Bicycles down subiaco/Wembley last Thursday...also saw a delta electric
Upright trike same day...

KiM

Cool. I thought I was about to read a thread about your trip to hospital, and somebody there recognizing you.

Tis the season for the "my crash" threads. ICU had me thinking really bad one, or somebody you know in big trouble.

dogman said:
Cool. I thought I was about to read a thread about your trip to hospital, and somebody there recognizing you.
That would be most unfortunate :lol: good point!

Should I rename the thread?
Safe travels, KF

Have not yet had an on road encounter with another ES`r.
I have seen a few dozen e bikes in use, mostly front drive bafang like motors.
The most exotic was a mid drive recumbent.
Lately I have seen a nice orange long tail cruising past my shop with a commuter on it.
Might be an ES`r on board but have not yet chased him down for a chat.

Met a good amount of ESers when i lived in the Portland area. But not ones that were really active on the forums. I have yet to meet a single hobbyist out in Denver, Colorado Springs, or Salt Lake City.. where there are very few of us... :(

I do certainly miss being around a bunch of EV nerds.

That's cool that you live in an area where the probability of meeting a fellow forum member by chance is a lot higher than 0% :lol: tell the pacific northwest and it's killer slugs i said hi :mrgreen:

Hope you're enjoying riding season out there..
-D

I haven't had a chance meeting with an ESer yet. I have run into an ebiker before and we chatted at a light. I was walking and he was biking, but I had to find out about the kit. Older dude, haven't seen him around since.

I have met 2 ESers that reached out to me via PM. They are both within 20 miles, with one actually within 5 miles.

Would be cool to have a quicker way to spot out ESers, like a sticker or official handsign or something.

I happened upon my 3rd ever e-biker in the Boston area on my way home tonight. I hit "bike traffic" on Beacon Street in Cambridge/Somerville, and it's better to slow down and ride at the pace set by the other cyclists than to go out into the car lane and pass. Slowing to stop for a light, I saw the wheel I was looking at in front of me had a hub motor!

I asked the guy at the light - "You even using that motor?" He was slow like me, but maybe like me figured riding at bike speed in this stretch is a good thing. He said something about inefficient knobby tires, and not enough battery for the whole trip. Then, looking at the A-Line he said "what a beast!" The light turned green and we both rode off.

I'd like to think any hard core ES member would recognize my bike, or at least recognize the DaVinci drive (he looked right at it), so I don't think this gentlemen was an ES member.

MattyCiii said:
I'd like to think any hard core ES member would recognize my bike, or at least recognize the DaVinci drive (he looked right at it), so I don't think this gentlemen was an ES member.

I had my first ES member "chance encounter" tonight at the second Boston Bike Party. It's raining and only about 100 people turned out. ES Member MrBoots was there, and taking one look at the bike said "that's a Recumpense drive!" I know he was an ES member at that moment of course.

He said he's been in "ES rehab" more than half a year, his bike was too powerful to be non-suspension and (I can't recall - sold it/parted it out/sent it to storage). It was a great ride that Boston Bike Party, made all the better meeting an ES member!

Haha I haven't been on the boards for a while but meeting an ES'er for the first time was awesome, especially an RC'er. I miss having the evoke grin but my bike was getting a little dangerous. Anyway I'll be getting back into ebiking again soon enough. Matt if you're interested I've got some LiPos sitting around I haven't put to use.

So last night I was on a small social ride, riding my Norco A-Line (all the other riders were on pedal bikes. When I go to social rides on an electric bike around here, nobody is put off by my lifestyle choice). The ride included a bunch of musicians with instruments, and we were visiting several of the public pianos of (Greater) Boston. That was a pretty great experience. We'd stop at each for several songs, and these talented people would play. Friends and strangers alike would groove and dance and just enjoy.

The ride coordinators planned the last stop to be Davis Square, Somerville, where the Honk Festival is in town. Honk is awesome.
weblogo1.png

Our roving cycling musicians joined forces with Honk Fest participants who were there at the square and things just got totally awesome. I never thought I'd see - and be wowed by - a tuba solo. I stayed and enjoyed at least an hour of festivities. With the music still going strong and crowd still energized I decided it was time for me to go home. As I prepped the bike a couple people started chatting with me about it - one was Chalo. Chalo was in town for Honk as a member of one of the bands. How awesome is that - and I thought the tuba solo was unexpected! I know Chalo can bring out the passion in people by expressing himself in terse opinionated ways, but he knows his stuff and I respect that. I'm glad I got to meet and shake hands with one of the great contributors to ES.

Oh and if you're in the Boston area this weekend, look up Honk. It's a great festival.

Great wit dogman! that made me laugh thanks. somethings go right past me. ive met 5- ES mems just doing my normal rides this summer that is awesome fun and will turn into lots of local knowledge being used in real life.everyone ive met has been super cool that makes it even better.ES rules!

I know a couple of es ers use the same trail to go to work, but being in commuting mode we probably have no time to chat. I was surprised to see my first stealth on the wrong side of the road around Kitts a few weeks ago, maybe an off-duty Recon Marine? 8)

I was riding home last night on my folding bike and was chased down by Gestalt. We;ve met before so he knows me, and has seen the bike on the forums, but has never seen the bike live.

It was pretty cool because I had a last minute change of plans - so the meetup was total serendipity. I had a few beers with him and his friends. Pretty awesome, ES members are in general really creative and cool. Good times.

Back