Anyone Using Cloud Storage?

salty9

1 kW
Any body using cloud storage and have anything good or bad to about it? Given the increasing spate of hacks I feel my data would be subject to loss. Access to something in the public domain might be reasonable but any of my data is going to be locally stored. The terabyte drives makes local storage easy.

I have cloud storage on gmail, dropbox and box. Piece of word, Use encryption to protect your data, I have a Encdroid program that create a Encrypted Filesystem on the cloud storage or locally, When drop a file into EncFS virtual drive and automatically upload into encrypted virtual drive on the cloud storage. It's useless for anyone tries break my data. :lol:

Encdroid is a file manager application for Android devices to keep your files encrypted on Dropbox or the local storage of the device. It is compatible with EncFS so volumes created with Encdroid can be accessed on Windows/MacOS/Linux desktop and laptops and vice versa.

The program called EncDroid under android and unix/linux

For Linux and Windows- How to encrypt cloud storage on linux and windows with encfs

I use Dropbox primarily but other ones as well.

Here's a link to get started with 250 MB extra on Dropbox:

http://db.tt/P3HZXCZ :wink: :mrgreen:

I use Dropbox, gmail (Google Drive), and recently IDrive. IDrive interested me because one can specify an encryption key, files to be stored don't need to be in a particular folder like Dropbox, and both scripts (using Perl) and command-line executable programs for UNIX are available.

chroot, thanks for mentioning EncFS. Didn't know about it before and it ought to be very useful.

I use smugmug for photos and it works fine. For data I use solid state drives and save to two drives. Keeps it all safe.

But for cloud I think Dropbox is pretty good. It doesn't mess with your files. It has drag and drop capability, just like a flash drive. You can also open documents in it without pulling the documents from it.

salty9 said:
...Given the increasing spate of hacks I feel my data would be subject to loss.
Are you saying you're worried Dropbox, Skydrive or Gdrive are more vulnerable than the drive on your own machine? In the typical arrangement, you store "in the cloud" a copy of files on your computer. Should the cloud drive be unavailable, you still have your own drive.

salty9 said:
Access to something in the public domain might be reasonable but any of my data is going to be locally stored.
The idea of storing data away from your physical location is that the data is SAFER - because if you and your computer get smashed or something, the data is still available (to someone).
salty9 said:
The terabyte drives makes local storage easy.
What does that have to do with your question? The size of the drive is irrelevant to the level of security it has.
The reason for using cloud storage is not that local storage is expensive. Cloud storage is MORE expensive than local storage.

Back