Lac-Megantic Explosions, Fire Sparked By Train Derailment in

Doctorbass

100 GW
This happened 2 days ago and still burning in the Village.

That's a real Tragedy !

It's at about 200km from my home and people are only talking about that these days.

petrol burning :roll:

If only it would have been full of lipo the dammage would have been less tragic. :lol:

Alot of people were in a popular local bar called Musicafé, died

Some other disaster consequences is that the church, municipal library, grocery. and major part of the record and history of the city are lost !

no more centreville of Lac Megantic!

[youtube]__A5FmGbP0s[/youtube]

[youtube]qXr7n8nuEnQ[/youtube]

Just type Lac Megantic in youtube and you will get nearly every video about that tragedy

Doc

Yeah when I heard Quebec Canada I immediately thought of you as I remembered it being your location.
Glad to hear your ok, I kind of imagined your work shop in fire when I heard the news and selfishly figured I would never have the option to buy a set of your torque arms, at least until you rebuilt.

Doc, This is another proof we need Get rid of fossil fuels!!! if the wagon was loaded with a123 cell . the dammage would have been 100% less tragic

I am just tired of tv news talking about this since friday and my tv is close

i don't believe the current theories that it was envirowarrier attack on the train. the theory is that people opposed to the use of oil sabotaged the train by disconnecting the cars when the conductor left it unattended.

i think it was just unprofessional work by the conductor or engineer in failing to set the brakes after they had disconnected that string when the engine caught on fire.

dnmun said:
i don't believe the current theories that it was envirowarrier attack on the train. the theory is that people opposed to the use of oil sabotaged the train by disconnecting the cars when the conductor left it unattended.

i think it was just unprofessional work by the conductor or engineer in failing to set the brakes after they had disconnected that string when the engine caught on fire.

yes i agree, but sure we need fuel for a while but more and more problem occur with fuel and and this must stop before human kill is own futur by using fossile fuel

the futur is electric! solar panel charger + removable battery pack at the service station so we can change the pack in 2 minute and you good to go 300km or choossing a
smaller pack if just going around the town , its not a dream but something government can do but fuel company still play with us like puppets

C'est tres mal huereuse, mon ami...

In related news, maybe, in this weeks NOW magazine (so called, aka "rag", en Toronto, the story "Adam Scott on the tar sands Healing Walk", online here:
http://www.nowtoronto.com/news/story.cfm?content=193508

Plans afoot (yah, je suis une "sneaky guy"... Hehe) to get Suncor et al shifting directions... It's not the "fossil fuel" that's the "Texas T", sillies, it's the Si (and all it's yummy "flavours")... To manufacture solar cells/panels, eh?

It's been a looong time since Ontario had a "Adam Beck"... Not "hydro" this time, but beach sand, etc? Et aussi La Belle Provence, mon ami?

Anyway, first step is a trial "railpath" en Toronto... A proof-of-concept, with sections of the bike path covered over with awnings, some covered in turn with solar panels feeding "power" to Toronto/Ontario hydro... Aussi, recharging Li batt packs beside the path that offer plugins for ebikes, of course! Aussi, sheltered from the rain? Making the path more "year 'round"...

You like, mon ami?

Wish us Bon Chance!

Lock

PS... Monsieur Adam Beck:
Adam_Beck_zps67628cca.jpg

Hehe...

L

BTW... Solar roofs on the roads are not a new idea? From Binninger (a municipality in the district of Arlesheim in the canton of Basel-Country in Switzerland, on two hills overlooking the city of Basel. Pop of Binninger about 15 thou.)

See here, from Jan, 2012, titled "Power of the highway", here:
http://greenings.tv/archives/730?lang=en

With this pic:
solardach-autobahn-200x120.png

Now you like maybe?

L

BTW Doc... Have been bouncing the idea (covering our roads etc with canopies that convert sunlight to electrical power) offa some folks... I always value other opinions. One "arg against" was that the manufacture of solar cells requires a lot of power, and the payback takes a very long time... Debatable if the power(electrical) comes from fields of solar concentrators, but I got interested in just how PV panels ARE manufactured... and stumbled onto this...
Welcome to the Photovoltaic Education Network
A collection of resources for the photovoltaic educator.

Here:
http://pveducation.org/

450px-PSM_V23_D352_Printing_a_newspaper_by_solar_heat.jpg

:)

L

A rail car can carry roughly 700 barrels of oil, with 42 gallons per barrel.

(That Montreal Maine & Atlantic Railway train contained 72 rail cars of crude oil... Odd that they are referred to as "cars", eh?)

Per the CBC news:
Lac-Mégantic marks Canada’s 7th runaway train since 2006

And:
Also, there were eight incidents of runaway rolling stock during the first five months of 2013, TSB statistics indicate. Reports have not been published so CBC News has not evaluated those incidents.

And:
There was a total of 121 incidents of runaway rolling stock – major and minor – between 2003 and 2012, according to the TSB.

(So an average of 13+ per year... "TSB" refers to "Transportation Safety Board" BTW)

Seen elsewhere on the web:
The explosion reverberated through Canada and the US where people are hotly debating what mode of transportation is safest and most economical for carrying the steadily growing output of crude oil from North Dakota and northern Alberta's oil sands. And there were renewed calls for tougher standards for ethanol and crude oil tank cars.

Some (?) ebikers might suggest those *fossil* fuels *might* be reduced (perhaps significantly?) by NOT shipping some of that *crude* oil by rail "car" OR by pipe? That the oil is too valuable to refine, then *waste* as fuel for transportation?

Instead, that oil (and, in the case of Canadas "TAR sands"), it's the SAND (aka "beach sand",  at least, that portion of that sand that contains that yummy Si, and all of it's various yummy flavours) that is the VALUABLE bit, for manufacturing solar panels? 

So (in Canadas case, at least), Suncor et al should be using some of that yummy oil, AND some of that yummy sand, to manufacture SOLAR panels? And shipping THOSE instead of that noxious stuff, that is shipped to refineries? And why are those refineries so distant anyway? It's probably the ships? (And why is it called "shipping", anyway? Oh, yeah, right, sorry!)

Suncor et al have a lot of explaining to do...

L

did the engineer who said he set the brakes ever come out of hiding there in canada? i wonder if that guy goes to jail or not. it was more than gross negligence imo. it was willful neglect of his duties. then he lied about setting the brakes on top of it.

These are loooong trains? It's possible (I suspect) that the so- called breaking systems are "max'ed out"?

Regardless who'se to blame, the *Real* culprits (the oil company/companies) will only get off with a slap on their wrists.. Sadly, Canada no longer stands them up in front of a firing squad (if Canada EVer did?) My great grandfather was head of Canadas penal system... Must ask him... Oooops, too late...

Hehe...
L

harper love is yummy oil but not the people of the state of Quebec and we don't need this crap, we have the cleanest electric power plant in the world and we sell theses ressource to all the usa state also and its time to do a change but fuel company will continue to do profit until all the ressource are all gone , and the global warming will continue and i already feel it today we have made a new record of temperature about 45 degrée celsius and we see also more and more tornado alert

Christ... They're at it again... Lottsa news reports about our Canadian "energy" company Enbridge wanting to put a pipeline straight across the province of Ontario... To "tranship" crude oil ("bitumen") by "repurposing" an aging 30-inch pipeline (built back in the 70's) to carry "oil" from the Alberta "tar" sands clear across country to Montreal... The line runs straight across the City of Toronto parallel to our "Ontario Hydro (electricity) corridor"... Crossing several rivers that run north/south, into Lake Ontario...

So some curious ebiker minds wonder... Will folks drive their (gasoline-powered) cars to the "public meetings" in Montreal next month?

And in todays local "rag" (aka "newspaper"), article online here:
http://www.thestar.com/news/gta/2013/10/06/rockers_join_forces_in_line_9_protest.html

The title "Rockers join forces in Line 9 protest", and the subtitle "Upwards of 2,000 people attended a protest concert against Enbridge’s “Line 9” oil pipeline proposal in North York’s Mel Lastman Square on Sunday afternoon."... This from a "greater Toronto" pop of just over six mill... From the article, in part:
The show took place mere blocks away from where Line 9 passes through North York near the Finch subway station on a route from Sarnia to Montreal. Of particular alarm to environmentalists is that the pipeline crosses a number of watersheds that drain directly into Lake Ontario, a source of drinking water for the most populated region of the country.

Thank goodness! Apparently our American cousins have stopped drinking from Lake Ontario or the St.Lawrence... etc? Anyway, turned out maybe this concert was too far for most folks from our area to drive to (in their gasoline-powered horseless carriages...) `Wonder watt Chuck (NY State Senator Charles Ellis Schumer) and Kirsten (NY Senator Kirsten E. Gillibrand) would say...

L

what i never have understood is why people manufacture a crisis about the normal business of building pipeline to transport the oil but never spend the time to understand the risk of transporting it by rail.

if you are so concerned, why not go picket the house of the engineer who cut those tanker cars free so they roll down into town that night.

of course to you it is not his fault, it it the fault of the pipeline builders.

maybe you guys can drive canada back to the preindustrial era if you really really tried. all you need is a rock star or movie star to make it real.

experienced engineers and contractors don't mean a thing to the luddites. they are just evil incarnate like the people who have to drill and produce the oil you use to heat your house and drive your car or fly on planes.

where do you guys come from? what in the world makes you think there is anything wrong with running a pipeline to the refinries on the east coast of canada? or to the west coast and then to the chinese? you guys just make something out of nothing as long as there is a movie star to lead you by the hand.

Hi Portland!

I actually LOVE "plastic"... But used as "fossil fuels" for transportation, and burned and exhausted into my face/air (and yours, and your kids and your friends and neighbours?), not so much...

In many cities in Ontariario (including my little one-horse town), we currently have a bit of a fight on our hands, against the electric bicycle... And our province is "heavily addicted" to the automobile (watt most might call the "car")...

In my life I was supposed to "wear many hats", but did at least go to some universities and colleges to study stuff like marketing and accounting (Yah, I ended up as one of *those*... I'm so embarrassed... Please don't rub it in...Hehe)

Anyway... Putting two of my hats on (marketing/accounting), to promote the electric bicycle, ya maybe could make it cheaper and better than the options for transportation to get around in our little burg. We may also have a "problem" with the 20th-century horseless carriage that it may cause some folks to get "over weight"... So folks in your town must be all slim? Some of them maybe don't pedal themselves to their favourite take out "fast food" restaurant, etc?

And our "health care INDUSTRY" is maybe in part "fed" by folks that misbehave in their vehicles on our roads/highways... maybe to the detrement of others... That is actually one of the things I sorta LOVE about the bicycle (and tricycle, whether with electric assist or not), that riders and passengers get to share/accept at least some of the risk in travelling around (watt makes travel inherently safer for others?) ... Perhaps Oregon is entirely populated with folks that care about their families and friends and neighbours... lucky you!

Anyway... Back to the matter at hand (this thread)...

You said:
why people manufacture a crisis about the normal business of building pipeline to transport the oil but never spend the time to understand the risk of transporting it by rail.

"Manufacture" a crisis? So, the insurance industry "manufactures" risks? Watt IS an acceptable level of risk for transporting liquid oil please?

And so these pipelines last forEVer? Or do they require at least *some* maintenance? Any chance some "unforeseen" situation arises?

You said:
why not go picket the house of the engineer who cut those tanker cars free so they roll down into town that night.

Actually, cars and trucks and buss's (almostly entirely gasoline or diseasal-powered) drive pass my house/neighbourhood constantly... it's maybe like a slow-motion constant Lac-Megantic explosion?

You said:
it it the fault of the pipeline builders

No. I suppose it is the fault of the pipeline *maintainers*...

You said:
experienced engineers and contractors don't mean a thing to the luddites.

Actually, the first University I went to was to become an "EE" (electrical engineer), and I used to enjoying playing with electrical things as a kid... But yes, it is true, I have never been a contractor.

You said:
where do you guys come from?

Well, personally, I was born in Victoria (on an island on watt some might term the Canadian "Wet Coast" in the province of British Columbia), and have lived on one coast or the other, with a brief spell in Ottawa (Ontario, our nations capital city), plus for three years outside London, England, where I got to holiday lots around England and on the european continent... Since 1973 I have been living in Toronto (watt some might say "stuck in the armpit of Canada").

Guess I might go on, but you might forgive some others that might see your view as "myopic"? Or maybe that you didn't think, before you wrote?

I know... It's a long way between Oregon and Toronto, but on a clear day, can you see me waving when you stand at the top of Mount Hood? How about laughing at you?
:lol:
L

Oh goody... In the Calgary, Alberta "Herald" newspaper earlier this week, the article "Green leader lauds oilsands court ruling", sub-titled "Elizabeth May advocates public input", online here:
http://www.calgaryherald.com/business/Green+leader+lauds+oilsands+court+ruling/9009127/story.html

... and the story pic described "Federal Green party leader Elizabeth May speaks Monday to students at St. Michael’s School in Calgary. May says excluding groups from environmental reviews of oilsands projects runs contrary to the precepts of a healthy democracy."

Oh goody, I love fresh brain (Teaching/explaining stuff to the young. `Cause their brains are still hopefully somewhat more "malleable" than some of us old folks).

Full article in the link, but basically:
May, in Calgary on Monday as part of a cross-country tour, said she’s “thrilled” by a Court of Queen’s Bench ruling that found Alberta Environment Department bureaucrats contravened their own laws by enacting a policy that stopped the Oil Sands Environmental Coalition from speaking to reviews of proposed oilsands operations in 2012.

Ummm... "Oil sands"? Watt used to be called the "tar sands", I guess...

In his ruling released last week, Justice Richard Marceau pointed to a 2009 briefing note from the department’s northern region director to the top bureaucrat in the department at the time.

The note said that while the coalition had been given standing in previous hearings, it should be rejected on the grounds it was not directly affected by the oilsands operations.

Ummm... Not directly affected? Well, in theory, we all get to "share" (?) the same air and water so I guess if the folks that dig this stuff up can *guarantee* the stuff will nEVer spill (eg into our water), or that NONE of it will EVer be wasted as gasoline or diseasal, watt might be used (wasted?) for transportation, the exhaust blown into our (?) air... Sure, OK! Go ahead and dig it up! (Betcha though, their insurance rates are gonna be "killer"...)
L

In related news (maybe), in the "Letters to the Editor" for one of our local, weekly "rags" (newspaper, aka "magazine"), seen here:
http://www.nowtoronto.com/news/story.cfm?content=195082
Enbridge’s Line 9 pipe violates Charter

As a delegate of the Enbridge Line 9 pipeline reversal hearing at the National Energy Board, I want to inform you of the following evidence that was presented (NOW, October 24-30).

Bitumen is a solid. It is asphalt. As it moves, it vibrates due to variants of mass. It will be under pressure, creating a vortex effect. It will be heated, but external factors such as ice, water or heat will create thermal pressure. Seismic areas in Ontario and Quebec pose even greater increased risks.

The existing line crosses over the Finch subway station, goes by York University and under the fire station across the street from the campus where 55,000 people go to school.

There has never been a Crown-designated consultant to facilitate discussions with First Nations, despite the fact that Line 9 passes through 18 First Nations territories.

Technically the NEB, the Crown and Enbridge have committed a Charter violation by installing the original pipe without First Nations consent.

Louisette Lanteigne
Waterloo

On the website "LinkedIn", Louisette describes herself as a/in "Environmentalist, Public Relations & Marketing", and as a grad of "American Academy of Dramatic Arts". Per the AADA website:
About The Academy
An Actor's Conservatory
A degree-granting acting school with locations in each of the two most dynamic centers of theatre and film in the U.S.

The school is currently celebrating 130 years "in the biz", with campuses both in NYC and in LA...

Oh, goodie... Some of my best friends are watt I like to call "artsy-fartsies"... the "creative" sort... the "starving artist"... Folks that "suffer" for the art they love. Unfortunately, I've tried to be creative too in my life, but that whole "starving" thing is I suspect maybe "over-rated"? Better I have found to help others to make lots of money in business, and live kinda like royalty off the "crumbs" that they have given me... (Hehe...)

L

In unrelated news (maybe?) in todays Canadian "Globe and Mail" newspaper, seen online here:
http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/politics/ottawa-scales-back-oversight-of-offshore-drilling/article15305924/

An article titled "Ottawa scales back oversight of offshore drilling"...

Full article via the link, but bits like eg:
The federal government has released new regulations that reduce environmental oversight for offshore drilling as the oil industry is planning new exploration in the Beaufort Sea and the Gulf of St. Lawrence.

The Harper government overhauled the country’s environmental assessment legislation in its omnibus budget bill last year. As a result, it had to produce a list of project types that would require environmental assessment, which provides not only approvals but recommends ways to reduce risks.

...and:
In the Arctic, Imperial Oil Ltd. and its partners, ExxonMobil Corp. and BP PLC, have submitted an application to begin drilling in the deep water of the Beaufort Sea, hundreds of kilometres from shore.

Mr. Amos said the new regulations raise new concerns about Ottawa’s approach to oil exploration in the North, where conditions are extreme and drilling in deep water has not been done. The companies have pooled two exploration licences in waters 60 metres to 1,500 metres deep and comprising 100 square kilometres.

Out of sight, out of mind, I guess. I'm sure there is no truth to the ugly rumour that oil companies throw money at politicians (election/re-election campaigns, etc), nor is there a word of truth to the malicious gossip that some oil company executives are "bending over" to "accomodate" some politicians.

L

Ohhh... Lac-Mégantic "disaster" in the news again today. Full article "Police seize Irving Oil records in probe of Lac-Mégantic disaster " online here:
http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/national/investigators-search-irving-oil-offices-after-lac-megantic-disaster/article15958346/

Stuff like:
A Globe and Mail investigation has documented how oil from the Bakken formation, which straddles North Dakota and parts of Saskatchewan and Manitoba, is much more explosive and corrosive than regulators and the industry thought, and that warning signs about the oil were ignored. On Thursday, Transport Minister Lisa Raitt told The Globe that Ottawa will implement new safety and testing measures for shipping crude oil by rail.

and:
In an interview with The Globe and Mail last month, Irving Oil chief executive officer Paul Browning said the company was working with federal regulators “to make sure that we understand the new regulations” that call for crude oil to be tested before and after it is transported through Canada.

“So this is really a question of what we are doing to ensure that hazardous materials that get moved by rail are increasingly getting safer and safer over time. So what we’re doing is working with the rail industry and regulators to make sure that we’re all learning the lessons from Lac-Megantic, and other opportunities to learn. We’re making sure we’re supporting them in implementing new regulations and procedures to respond to those learnings,” Mr. Browning said.

Ah. Tough choice! (Irving Oil, a private New Brunswick company owned by the Irving family, operates Canada’s largest refinery, with a capacity to process up to 320,000 barrels of crude daily). Whether to pay from their own pockets, or to charge more at the "pumps". Guess that oily stuff is "cruder" than they thought.
L

Back