List (Thread) of folks that HATE the electric bicycle

Lock

100 MW
...Or tricycle... But perhaps "hate" is too strong a word... Lets say instead "intensely dislike"...

Well, I suspect it is a looong list...

But to "kick" this list off:

Car manufacturers (that have not already climbed aboard the "Ebike mfgr Train", eg BMW, Smart...)

Car repair "industry"

Folks that own/manage car parking lots

Car towing industry

Companies that contract with our towns/cities to maintain/repair road damage

Salt sellers

Used car sellers (aka used car lots)

Car washes

Mfgrs of gasoline/diseasal engine lead-acid starter batteries

Mfgrs and sellers of car "accoutrements" (synonyms: equipment, paraphernalia, things, apparatus), eg "air fresheners"

The "health care" (aka "hospital") and "fitness" industries

Watt/who might we be missing?

L

People who get passed at 20+ mph relative speed on bike paths

Peds who find the sidewalk is no longer a safe zone

Nice one Chalo!

Companies and staff that manufacture, operate and maintain public "transit" vehicles...

For example, when was the last time a "customer" (so-called) stared down a road, or a darkened tunnel (in the case of an underground subway), wondering if and when the next ebike will arrive? And if the next ebike *does* arrive, there is standing room only, and your "neighbour" on the ebike maybe needs to buy and use an "antiperspirant" for their armpits, etc... Or some place "clears out" because EVerybuddy needs to catch the last ebike for the night to get back home...

Drivers and Cops too.

ebikes (bikes in general) get the blame if a non-car object touches a car

Yeah, no kidding "cal3thousand"...

Recently I was sitting (on a wooden picnic table, in the dark) beside my rusty steed, and some car driver decided to back in (it was a parking lot, not to be confused with many area roads in my town), and watched as he gently "bumped" my trike (my trike is black, although the wheel spokes and back basket are silver-coloured, the front basket white)... Apparently the back/side-view car mirrors are just an "inconvenience" for some or something (or he didn't already have enough "dings" and "scrapes" on his car apparently)... The driver just got out and walked off... I couldn't be bothered to "engage" my new neighbour in any conversation about some of his "driving habits"...

L

Good number of Taxi drivers and/or transit workers find us threatening to their industry.

I've had mostly good exchanges with bus drivers, ferry, train personel but even the ones that chatted me up seemed to realize how this would change things. Taxi drivers for the most part immediately see me as "lost fare" and tend to wish I was gone.

Hehe... Good ones you guys... Must ask some EU taxi drivers if their "industry" has been "decimated" yet by the electric bicycle? (Well, I hope so, just can't say that to them...)

And "Captain Spandex"? Perhaps they are just depressed on being demoted to a junior officer, or buck private, or something...
Hehe...
L

Forgot a huge one: oil and energy companies. also all the entities that support oil companies, which is whole lot of entities/people.

Oil companies? Yah mean that "fossil fuel" stuff? Well, I for one would kinda miss those plastic-covered wires, etc. on the ol' ebike... But I'll make you a compromise maybe? Just outlaw the burning of "oil" used for transportation... burning (wasting), etc...

Deal?

Re "energy" companies? Please don't get me started on that solar business... See here, for example:
http://www.newsbharati.com/Encyc/2013/4/1/Roof-over-roads-to-tap-solar-power-.aspx

You like?
L

yes , the real crime is burning up all that useful synthetic material !!!

i think anyone that hasnt tried an ebike is a hater in the making. lets get out there and show them how much fun they are!!!

Dang... And I just made a promise to myself, to stop grinning "like a fool", EVery time I pass one of the "car addicted"... And it's been hundreds I have passed (just in these last few weeks alone... I sorta lost count...). I'm pretty sure those resting comfortably (I guess they are), sitting "bumper-to-bumper", on their way to work, wherEVer, just hate seeing me "fly" by...

:lol:

L

The insurance "industry", who spend vast amounts of car drivers money to employee legions of lawyers, to pay out as little as possible to those who may or may not actually need it...

the lycra industry :p

Lycra? Oh, I *love* chemistry! Per Wikipedia:
Spandex or elastane is a synthetic fiber known for its exceptional elasticity. It is strong, but less durable than its major non-synthetic competitor, natural latex. It is a polyurethane-polyurea copolymer that was invented in 1959 by chemists C. L. Sandquist and Joseph Shivers at DuPont's Benger Laboratory in Waynesboro, Virginia. When first introduced, it revolutionized many areas of the clothing industry.

The name "spandex" is an anagram of the word "expands". It is the preferred name in North America; in continental Europe it is referred to by variants of "elastane", i.e. elasthanne (France), elastan (Germany), elastano (Spain and Portugal), elastam (Italy) and Elasthaan (Holland), and is known in the UK, Ireland, Argentina, Australia and New Zealand primarily as Lycra. Brand names for spandex include Lycra (made by Koch subsidiary Invista, previously a part of DuPont), Elaspan (also Invista), Acepora (Taekwang), Creora (Hyosung), ROICA and Dorlastan (Asahi Kasei), Linel (Fillattice), and ESPA (Toyobo).

And maybe the best part:
An estimated 80% of clothing sold in the United States contained spandex in 2010.

Well, I'm thrilled... Errr... Something like that...
:lol:
L

AustinP said:
Forgot a huge one: oil and energy companies. also all the entities that support oil companies, which is whole lot of entities/people.

Definitely. The reason why I got into electric bikes was because I hated oil companies in the sense that I felt forced to pay their exorbitant manipulated prices (at the gas pump) just to get from place to place.

Insurance companies were the other parasites I despised.

I hated thinking that I spent 60% of my paycheck on a car that I used for going to work. Without work, I didn't need a car, so it was like I was working just to drive a car to go to work which kind of made me feel like...

Gerbil+Wheel.jpg

I kinda think some of those oil companies may just be perhaps a bit misguided? While they are extracting "fossil fuels" (why is it called FOSSIL again?), where they are "mining" some tar sands (why is it called TAR again?), with apologies to "Jed Clampett", it's may be not the oil that is the ""black gold, Texas tea"? But maybe some of that "beach sand"? That may (at least some of it) contain silica (aka silicon dioxide - SiO2), where high-grade silicon may be used to make PV cells?

Yeah, baby, yeah! Awwww... Now I gotta apologize to Austin Powers too???
Hehe...
L

PS and BTW... Some womyn apparently find some guys in spandex strangely appealing...
Spandex_crew.JPG

John in CR said:

You should have figured out by now that my only issue here is with folks who make e-motorcycles and then try to pass them off as bicycles. It has nothing to do with electric power. I'd have the same beef with someone who built a gasoline powered, veggie diesel powered, or radioisotope powered motorcycle and then rode it in bike lanes and on bike paths, and didn't register/license/insure the thing as required. If it goes like a bicycle, it's a bicycle. If it goes like a moped, it's a moped. If it goes like a full-on motorcycle, it's a motorcycle. This is not hard to figure out; we even have laws in developed countries to make the this point clear for nincompoops.

I don't understand the problem you have with upholding your social responsibilities. As a promoter of electric bikes, it seems like you'd want to be an ambassador for the cause rather than a no-account shirker.

Lock said:
PS and BTW... Some womyn apparently find some guys in spandex strangely appealing...
...or appealingly strange.
I love/hate depending, about everything, incl.spandx

Hehe... View count now up to 91... Must be a lot of Polish ladies on ES? Here's one for the gents:
poland-polska-team.jpeg

Yup... Makes me hungry for some kielbasa all right... Maybe that's watt those guys have in their Spandex (tm) outfits... Mmmmm...

L

^^^ from what I know that's eleven chances to pay for college…thirty three times…in the same month…on the way to the shoe store...but then i can endure a lot of pain. not

Back