Made in china. Avoid.

Talk about anything and everything here within reason.
circuit   100 kW

100 kW

Made in china. Avoid.

Post by circuit » Sep 16 2013 11:53am

Had to brake harder than usual today. Here is the outcome:

Happened in middle of traffic, at around 20-30 km/h. Could have been messy, blood and body parts everywhere, etc. You get the picture.
I'm fine, not a scratch. But I will send them this photo anyway (not me), as this is only one month into 1 year warranty...

smart and Tiny BMS solution
Visit my blog. Personal projects: Clean Peugeot conversion | Ultralight enduro
Any and all information, such as texts, specifications, drawings or other material that I post are to be used only as a reference for personal, non-commercial projects ONLY. Any republication for personal or commercial needs must be agreed on individually. Use of any information, that I post, for commercial purposes is strictly prohibited.

deVries   1 MW

1 MW

Re: Made in china. Avoid.

Post by deVries » Sep 16 2013 12:06pm

:lol: :twisted: 8)

kriskros   10 kW

10 kW

Post by kriskros » Sep 16 2013 3:50pm

make sure they send you a new fender :)

cal3thousand   1.21 GW

1.21 GW

Post by cal3thousand » Sep 16 2013 4:29pm

Damn... there goes most ebikes and their components, smartphones and a load of other fun things. :?
Get a Cycle Analyst and a Multimeter, you're still a noob if you don't have at least one of each.

Planning on posting questions or buying anything on this site? Put up your country (at minimum) on your profile. This is a worldwide forum and we haven't reached clairvoyance.

miuan   10 kW

10 kW

Post by miuan » Sep 16 2013 4:35pm

One would think the rigid fork is the last point of failure.

melodious   100 kW

100 kW

Post by melodious » Sep 16 2013 6:05pm

Just turn your handlebars 180 and your good to go :wink:
Surly Ogre rigid 29er, rear 10T MAC @ 50V 25AH & 40A: 30mph road/gravel/hill machine
42" dual diagonal Eskateboard @6s & 90mm wheels
Next: eMTB @10-12s & 8"-12" pneumatic wheels; Got Strapped? d-(',')z

speedmd   100 MW

100 MW

Post by speedmd » Sep 16 2013 6:37pm

Ok. What did you hit/ fall into? Not a chance the brakes did that unless the tubes are the thickness of tin foil.

neptronix   100 GW

100 GW

Post by neptronix » Sep 16 2013 8:36pm

wow, that is a poorly constructed fork if braking forces bent it like that.
"Love and compassion are necessities, not luxuries. Without them, humanity cannot survive." - Dalai Lama

My first major build: 1.6kW 8T MAC motor on a Trek 4500.
The new all-arounder: Leafmotor 1500w @ 4kW on a Turner O2 full suspension.
The monster scooter: 20" eZee on a Cannondale Semi Recumbent.
Whipper-snapper: ? on a lightweight BikeE Semi Recumbent

recumbent   100 kW

100 kW

Post by recumbent » Sep 16 2013 11:36pm

Okay, is there more to this story?

Looks like the weld broke from what I can see.
Ebike in use:
LWB Recumbent bike, Sram i-9 internal gears.
Power: 58V, 16 amp/hr, lipo batteries.
max speed: 52 km/h (30 mph),
max range: 40 km's, incl stop&go few times, minimal pedaling.
New build: Delta recumbent trike

circuit   100 kW

100 kW

Post by circuit » Sep 17 2013 12:08am

Speedmd, I did not hit anything, just my pride.. It must have been a priceless show.

Actualy the weld is okay. Problem is with metal itself, which is very soft. I have not seen aluminum this soft, you can easily cut it with knife.
Temporary fix to get back home was to reverse the handlebar and hit the bike to a tree. Fork bent right back after only one not very hard hit. Of course now it is not that straight and will not hold almost any braking or bumps, but did the trick to get back on road.
Any and all information, such as texts, specifications, drawings or other material that I post are to be used only as a reference for personal, non-commercial projects ONLY. Any republication for personal or commercial needs must be agreed on individually. Use of any information, that I post, for commercial purposes is strictly prohibited.

nechaus   1 MW

1 MW

Post by nechaus » Sep 17 2013 12:09am

circuit wrote:Speedmd, I did not hit anything, just my pride.. It must have been a priceless show.

Actualy the weld is okay. Problem is with metal itself, which is very soft. I have not seen aluminum this soft, you can easily cut it with knife.
Temporary fix to get back home was to reverse the handlebar and hit the bike to a tree. Fork bent right back after only one not very hard hit. Of course now it is not that straight and will not hold almost any braking or bumps, but did the trick to get back on road.

lol omg

TheBeastie   1 MW

1 MW

Post by TheBeastie » Sep 17 2013 1:20am

Surely if it was a good price it was worth while putting your life/health at risk? :lol:
Probably the creators only hoped people who were 60kg or less were going to ride it.
Speed Kills Range, 10mph = 46 miles range, 20mph = 20 miles, 30mph = 8 miles rangehttps://goo.gl/1JNL53
Over Charging Kills ur battery bit.ly/1hzWKl4
Consider PAS as your only throttle https://goo.gl/Kg1F8F
Fuel-Cell is the ultimate battery coupled with 4th-gen Nuclear
https://goo.gl/TcKtHs https://goo.gl/ZhFFot https://goo.gl/gfa215
10 Square Miles of solar panels = 0.12GW average power! https://goo.gl/Ub1S39

circuit   100 kW

100 kW

Post by circuit » Sep 17 2013 1:24am

Manual says 120 kg load. I guess designers were thinking only about price..

StudEbiker   1 MW

1 MW

Post by StudEbiker » Sep 17 2013 1:27am

If you want us to avoid things made in China, we may as well shut this forum down.

Seriously though, glad you weren't injured.

sk8norcal   100 MW

100 MW

Post by sk8norcal » Sep 17 2013 2:57am

saw those before on the golden motor site, (not there anymore)
shrinker

Last edited by sk8norcal on Sep 17 2013 3:23am, edited 1 time in total.

TheBeastie   1 MW

1 MW

Post by TheBeastie » Sep 17 2013 3:21am

A relative of mine has imported some gear (non ebike) where the steel was soft where it really needed to be strong.
I guess there is so much steel production in China there are corners being cut to compete with each other or something, seems like there is way to much soft steel out there.
Speed Kills Range, 10mph = 46 miles range, 20mph = 20 miles, 30mph = 8 miles rangehttps://goo.gl/1JNL53
Over Charging Kills ur battery bit.ly/1hzWKl4
Consider PAS as your only throttle https://goo.gl/Kg1F8F
Fuel-Cell is the ultimate battery coupled with 4th-gen Nuclear
https://goo.gl/TcKtHs https://goo.gl/ZhFFot https://goo.gl/gfa215
10 Square Miles of solar panels = 0.12GW average power! https://goo.gl/Ub1S39

speedmd   100 MW

100 MW

Post by speedmd » Sep 17 2013 6:51am

circuit wrote:Speedmd, I did not hit anything, just my pride.. It must have been a priceless show.

Oh Shit. Most likely it was designed for steel, and someone substituted un heat treated aluminum in its place the same gauge. Contact DOT and find out how to get these things recalled. They should not be sold. Do you need a expert witness. 8) :wink:

circuit   100 kW

100 kW

Post by circuit » Sep 17 2013 7:08am

Yeah, I think it is beneficial to me to first get some replacement parts (whatever the quality) and then take some actions. The main problem is that the factory does not sell these directly and it is quite hard to get to them. And user's manual is quite clever written, the only mention of brand of any kind I could find was "ENRIGHT", which, you guessed it, does not appear on google search.

speedmd   100 MW

100 MW

Post by speedmd » Sep 17 2013 7:25am

Contact the federal trade commision. They know how best to get word to customs. Suppliers will have a choice to send back or pay storage fees at the dock. Someone will get killed for certain if these are left out in use or continue to roll in.

Best wishes.

MikeFairbanks   100 kW

100 kW

Post by MikeFairbanks » Sep 17 2013 7:39pm

Yes, we all buy things made in China.

But the Japanese make much better stuff.

At this point the Koreans do too.

But the Chinese can produce, which is why their stuff is the cheapest.

But the Americans have a fifth of the population, and still have four times the production. That's pretty kick-ass.
Stay frosty

circuit   100 kW

100 kW

Post by circuit » Oct 09 2013 2:10pm

OK, small update. Warranty replacement parts are coming very slowly from China, so I have fixed the fork by straightening it and welding some aluminum sheet on top. Was driving it like that for two weeks now.

So today the same thing happened. Only at higher speed, so I flew like a bird, but with really bad landing. There was police, ambulance rushed me to hospital. It was the most painful journey I ever had. An I did have same bone fractures and deep cut with angle grinder in my life. This was worse.
So in the end I have:
  • scraped knee
  • scraped face, probably lost part of eyebrow
  • chipped tooth
  • possible brain concussion
  • fractured and dislocated palm bone and gypsum on whole arm from elbow
So I guess now it is time to escalate this to some agencies...

speedmd, do you have some practice dealing with DOT or federal trade commission? Any suggestions how to proceed?

Lebowski   1 GW

1 GW

Post by Lebowski » Oct 09 2013 2:55pm

Dude ! :shock:

mattrb   100 W

100 W

Post by mattrb » Oct 09 2013 3:01pm

That fork is like swiss cheese. You should show them your bills and tell them you want your money back.

I have seen the BMX fork failure videos on youtube and it is so scary. I really hope for a steadfast recovery.
52v Crystalyte 4060 Phasor and 4000w Cyclone Elite

speedmd   100 MW

100 MW

Post by speedmd » Oct 09 2013 3:28pm

Hi Circuit

Sorry to hear of your accident. Hope you make a full recovery. I am a bit surprised you were riding this death trap again :shock: . I guess you did not understand my original analysis and concern the first time it failed catastrophically and I suggested you try and get these things recalled / stopped at the border. IMO, This second accident is 99% your fault, sorry, but you need some tough love here.

At this point you need to call your local republican congress member and see if they will reopen the main government agencies that look after this type of product recall if you want help from the government anytime soon. Customs is still partially open. They are under homeland security and you may want to start there and see what they tell you as to what agencies would cover this product and how they instruct them to issue rulings that would get these things stopped at all crossings. I have only dealt with the FTC on a product forgery and they were very slow to act but know they got the bad players attention once they got moving. It may be a consumer protection agency or some other name you need to start with a report to. DOT to my knowledge only handles things with license plates. Find a Lawyer that likes to do this type of case and most will give you a free talk to go over your options.

teklektik   10 GW

10 GW

Post by teklektik » Oct 09 2013 4:35pm

Seriously dude - going back for more after getting beat up the first time is looking like battered wife syndrome. Nothing changed to make this time come out any better...

Get a divorce.

(Anyhow - best wishes on your recovery... :D )
Visit Grin Technologies at www.ebikes.ca
Build Thread: 2WD Yuba Mundo V4