Windows 7 Blue screen?

Dauntless

100 TW
Haven't seen code blue in several operating systems. But mine won't boot even in safe mode, it just winds up with what looks like it really IS thr blue screen of death. I have a phone pic, but the board says its too big and I had nothing to shrink it with. Its like an underwater pic with the sun at the top of the screen.

Now what?

Hi. That screenshot really is needed to help troubleshoot. In my experience, failure to boot, combined with weird graphical glitches and artifacts is usually due to a faulty video card. As I said though, we really need the screenshot to offer any real assistance.

BSOD: http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blue_Screen_of_Death

A real BSOD is a memory dump
If you're getting the screenshot posted above, then your machine is not loading explorer.exe

You can always try safe mode w/ CMD prompt and run explorer.exe from there to see windows safe mode GUI.

If you can't even get to that, then you'll likely need a windows repair.

Are you running on a laptop?

When I got my blue screen of death on Vista, it was a video card failure. In my case my laptop got hot and burned out the integrated video card. :(

I sent it off to New York to get it melted back together, but it only lasted 4 months after I got it back. :evil:

I eventually bought another computer.

:D

That is the screen. It was running painfully as it does at times, I blame my AT&T DSL because everyone says they're bad. I had a few windows open and they closed, a few moments later there was an unrelated power interruption. I wasn't watching it as it rebooted, I assume it gave the choice of launch normal or enter repair. I came back and it had that life after death look.

With that up altcntrldel doesn't work. Retarting it comes to say that if there was a power interruption to start normally, but that leads to it saying its starting windows then cycling back to that choice. There's a qiuck blue screen that says something I don't get the chance to read. Repair mode says its loading files, then after a momentary screen with a timing bar at the bottom that says 'Microsoft corporation,' there's that screen. The mouse works but there's nothing to click on. From the size of the cursor I'd say its low resolution.

I should say safe mode cmp looks like regular safe mode, no opportunity for me to type explore.exe. There's a fight to even get to where I can try that.

In safe mode, safe mode with command prompt, last known good configuration, enable low resolution video and debugging mode it all goes back to repair mode, which goes to that screen. Its an HP touch screen, meaning not a normal box and its all built into the one piece of the monitor. I assume its not plug and play replacement.

I used to build my own computers, but I haven't worked on one since XP.

Can you boot to Bios? I think while the computer boots pressing the esc key will get you there...maybe the F10 key.

Anyway, once you get to bios look at the screen and see if it has any odd lines or pixelation artifacts going through it. Both are indications of a bad video card.

In the end I had to pull my hard drive and put it into an external drive enclosure to rescue the data I wanted.

Never mind BSOD and whatnot.
First thing I would do is to run PC-check or similar program to check your hard drive for errors.
Especially if you have laptop.
There's no point of running windows diag or troubleshooting, if your HD is fried.

I don't think its the harddrive, the string prompts for safemode.

Meanwhile, yes, boot from therepair discs I made when I bought it. Soi get out the box with the printer and dsl and etc. Idscs that I put EVERYTHING in and. . .you can guess what's missing. I gvuess on Tuesday I can make time to go the the library and see if I can download something.

What REALLY caused this was I was tryinvg go watch these precalculus tutorial videos for my test tomorrow, EVERYTHING just absolutely jumps up to stand in the way of my math. Wish video worked on the droid 3. Then again I hate to risk my phone right now.

So I thought if I was a real dolt 3 years ago where would I have put those discs, here I have them now. Seems to run a bit longer before it goes blank, but nothing is happening.

From those links i 'd guess I'm supposed to get these windows opening over the underwater screen, they do flicker, but I'm at a loss for what will make this go forward. I wish I could get that safe mode cmp to try explore.exe.

Maybe the video below would help. Skip to 1:38 for when Windows 7 will not start. It says to power on PC, pressing F11 every second until you see H-P Recovery Manager screen. Microsoft Startup Repair Tool is an option available then. System Recovery is another available option but don't do that unless you're prepared to lose your data and restore to like new condition.
[youtube]dFBWPmy32ms[/youtube]

The question is, what ELSE can I try to get it to one of those tooling screens? So far I only get the underwater shot, the boxes that are supposed to open over it flicker for a moment then disappear. With the recovery disc it looks like it tries a little harder but I still don't get anything the will help. Might be nice to find something that would run the computer from the DVD or the USB so I could see it work. For the moment my hands are tied.

I think (but haven't done it) if you power the PC on and press F11 repeatedly until you see the Recovery Manager, you'd be booting from a different partition than your Windows 7 partition. You'd be booting from your Recovery partition which shouldn't be as messed up as your Windows 7 partition is, so that's what else.

I have done the F11 repeatedly, it goes to the pictured underwater screen without the boxes with the tools. If I could get a boot disc to get to safemode with or ANYTHING maybe I could work something out.

F11 didn't work so I was in error that it would boot from a Recovery partition or you don't have one. If you can't easily enough get a Windows 7 install DVD to boot from you can PM me your mailing address and I'll try to dl, burn, and send you one. I assume 64 bits.

What a week. But maybe I can finally deal with it this weekend.

But now the you mention all roads that lead to the repair screen are dead ends. That could prove significant.

If it earlier failed to boot from the Recovery Disc that you had found could that have been because your BIOS' boot order setting isn't set to boot from DVD, USB, then hard disk. Tapping F10 after power on might get BIOS setting screen. Or tapping Escape key might lead to one-time option to boot from DVD.

From what I read, the Recovery Disc is not for doing Startup Repair, the least severe recovery action. Instead, Windows 7 Install disc is for Startup Repair. But this webpage:
HP and Compaq All-in-One and Touch Desktop PCs - Computer Does Not Start (Windows 7)

says that if you can't press F8 and get Advanced Boot Options screen (you did but result was weak), then you should boot from first recovery disc, get Recovery Manager main screen, select Advanced Options, then run Microsoft Startup Repair. Which you wrote that you tried earlier to no effect. Probably don't have a Recovery Partition for F11 to boot from. So try getting Recovery Manager from Recovery Disc like above webpage claims to be possible.

Is
Lessss said:
Try booting to a linux Mint live cd.

1. Where do I get one of those?

2. Is that just a test to see if it works or is there something I could do at that point?

It is booting from dvd first, reading disc, but not getting a repair screen. It will boot to safe mode with the words in the corners but otherwise black and no way to attempt a fix. I just don't get it.

Not easy trying to find anything on the microsoft website with a 3G droid.

If I send you a Windows 7 install disc as offered earlier, I'll send a Linux disc too. Won't be the same Mint flavor that Lessss mentioned though. The Linux disc I'd send can be used to boot, load and run Linux from memory (won't touch your hard disk unless you purposely do that, will run very fast, and will be gone after you power PC off). You can use it as a diagnostic, to rescue your data to removable drive, or as a temporary substitute for your broken Windows 7 installation because it has the usual web browser, spreadsheet, word processor, etc. apps. PM me your mailing address if you want. Also need to know make and model of your PC for whether to send 64- or 32-bit Windows.
Dauntless said:
It is booting from dvd first, reading disc, but not getting a repair screen. It will boot to safe mode with the words in the corners but otherwise black and no way to attempt a fix. I just don't get it.
If it seems like it's booting from dvd but not displaying a repair screen, it must not really be booting completely from dvd and somehow transfers control to your broken Windows 7 installation. Or your DVD contents are messed up. Or you have some kind of hardware problem. With a Linux CD to boot from, you can know whether it's a hardware problem.

What I do when I suspect Windows is buggered up. First read the manufacture instructions. What is the model number of your computer? Some computers can reinstall windows from a partition on the hard drive. Copy from the manual of my laptop:

If for some other reason you need to restore your system, this can be achieved using the HP Recovery
partition (select models only), without the need for recovery discs or a recovery flash drive. To check for
the presence of a recovery partition, click Start, right-click Computer, click Manage, and then click
Disk Management. If the recovery partition is present, a Recovery drive is listed in the window.

Don't think you will be able to boot far enough to do this.

Install Ubuntu to run in a separate partition on the hard drive. Fire up Ubuntu and copy any data from windows that you want to save on a thumb drive or what ever you got. Then reinstall Ubuntu and tell it to reformat the hard drive and wipe out all traces of windows. Now do a hard drive format and clean install of windows and your computer should be as good as new after you install drivers. If not you might have a hardware problem?

Video cards frequently wear out before any other component and can often prevent booting into Safe Mode. If you can't boot to Safe Mode (F8) then you have basic hardware failure. Use BIOS-level diagnostics to evaluate your hardware. These tools typically come on a CD with the computer.

To debug Windows Hardware without going onto the Hard Drive, use WinPE - the Professional's tool of choice. 8)

What is Windows PE?
Windows PE USB: Install Windows PE to a USB drive

You want to go to the Event Viewer and look for Windows Logs|System & Application events having a level = Error. One trick you can use with WinPE is to wipe the logs, reboot and look for the fresh errors.

Without error codes - it will be very difficult to debug the issue(s).

If you still can't figure it out - then take it to a computer repair shop.
~KF

Well, when I make time to mess with it I get nowhere, so I guess it should go to the shop. Its only 3 years old, it shouldn't be having hardware issues, it if it is I probably can't casually replace anything in an HP Touchscreen.

I guess I should hunt up that sandbox software while I'm at it.

Back