ebikes & alcohol

ohzee

100 kW
http://www.simcoe.com/news-story/4799182-e-bikes-become-vehicle-when-alcohol-involved-barrie-police/

Something I have wondered about at times.

ohzee said:
http://www.simcoe.com/news-story/4799182-e-bikes-become-vehicle-when-alcohol-involved-barrie-police/

Something I have wondered about at times.

In many places, drunk driving charges and penalties are the same for regular pedal cyclists as for motorists. It's one of the dumbest pieces of hypocritical bull puckey ever, but that's the law for you.

A smart, ethically sane cop would never treat a drunk cyclist the same as a drunk car driver.

Cops aren't smart, as a rule. Even fewer are ethical.

Chalo said:
A smart, ethically sane cop would never treat a drunk cyclist the same as a drunk car driver.

Cops aren't smart, as a rule. Even fewer are ethical.

Oh, they screen the smart, ethical people OUT. And that's not a joke. There's an IQ ceiling, as well as blind adherence to following orders. Don't need any of those pesky thinkers out there coming up with ways to NOT shoot people.

Then cops are shocked to learn that it WASN'T alright all along.

Same in New Mexico, you can get a dui on a horse.

If you think about it, a bike is legally a vehicle. And the dui law does not specify motor vehicle, but vehicle. Obviously the risk to others involved is much less on a bike than driving a car or truck.

But believe me, when my brother in law was out all wasted, we were quite glad to hear he'd made it safely to jail again. He's clean and sober now thank god, but back then we were counting on the cops picking him up when he was that drunk in public. He always got caught in the car though, and cops never stopped him for biking wasted. Several times he should have been, ending up crashing the bike and going to hospital later. So hard to steer one handed with a 12 pack in the other hand.

dogman said:
Same in New Mexico, you can get a dui on a horse.

Seems to me like the horse would have to be drunk. They don't know traffic code, but they are pretty good at staying out of trouble.

That's okay, I used to go on bike rides with a sheriffs deputy who intentionally got drunk before we went and carried an 18 pack of beer in his backpack so he could keep drinking while he was riding.

The fingers said:
Riding a bike is impossible when you're thoroughly swacked, check the police station next day to retrieve your bike. :pancake:

I used to ride with a chopper bicycle club, and I observed that I'm not the only one who can ride a bike reasonably well when he's too drunk to walk home.

I remember back about ten years ago me and my girlfriend at the time used to go out to "neighbors" one of the local gay clubs on Wednesdays for the $3 doubles night. I would get so swacked on gin and tonics that I couldn't even walk without using my bike as a cane. But as soon as she hopped up on my handlebars and we were off careening into downtown Seattle from Capitol Hill I was straight as an arrow. Off the bike and I was back to tripping over myself and everything else.

In hindsight, not a very good idea. So it is though.

I'm with Chalo, I've been known to cycle effectively when walking was a problem....
Too old for that mularky now - getting bazookered totally nukes the next day (or two...). I used to recover in a morning..... or is that just rose tinted memory?

Back