Legends dropping like flies

e-beach

10 MW
Any Los Angeles area beach I am at. Or Santa Monic
Suppose it is my time in life. Young kids probably don't even know who Jack Bruce is but anybody who knows a deeper history about rock and roll music knows how important Cream and Jack Bruce were.

RIP Jack Bruce.

[youtube]sLXLKnZ0CXQ[/youtube]

[youtube]OteeOkQeMCk[/youtube]

[youtube]K_ZcoqkQy8w[/youtube]

Cream.JPG

I still listen to Cream often. And the band would never have had the punch it had without Jack. Sorry Eric, but I still listen to Cream just to hear Jack.

But unfortunately the band couldn't last with him and the drummer hating each other so much.

Several good documentaries on Jack or Cream on Netflix.

RIP Jack Bruce....

The only thing I can play on a guitar or bass is the intro lines to "Sunshine of Your Love", on one string mind you following the fret guides. Then move down a string (up a fourth) to keep the rock moving. :lol:

For many years I played an old EB3 through an SVT. Cream played frequent shows in this area in the late 60s, usually opened by a rather otherwise unknown and obscure band at the time called Deep Purple. Jack Bruce greatly influenced my bass playing, along with John Entwistle, Chris Squire, Jeffrey Hammond, and Boz Burrell. He also belted out the vocals like no one else, he will be greatly missed. :cry:
We offer our prayers for the family and friends of Mr. Bruce.

During my very brief experiment as a bass player, Sunshine of your love was the first thing I learned to play.

Listening to Cream’s “Crossroads” (from “Wheels of Fire” - still on my Top 10 list) still gives me chills. The baseline was absolutely amazing. I never got to see Cream perform although I did see Jack Bruce when he was playing with Leslie West & Corky Laing.

At the impressionable time of life that is early adolescence, listening to Jack Bruce taught me the difference between being a rock star and being a musician.

Incredible talent. My heart is heavy. Will miss you Jack :cry:

The fingers said:
http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/trending/tt-BBinVxc?q=Andy Fraser dies&form=PNTMT1&ocid=iehp :cry:
Free bassist Andy Fraser dies at 62. The British-born Free bassist, who co-wrote the band's hit song "All Right Now" when he was just a teenager, has died in California at age 62. The cause of death is not known and is being investigated.

Great song....definitely a rock classic. Check out the look at the 2:00 minute mark of the video...... 8)

[youtube]ny7vW6dgnUY[/youtube]

http://www.msn.com/en-us/music/news...loves-a-woman-dies-at-74/ar-AAaZLL8?ocid=iehp :cry:
NEW ORLEANS (AP) -- Percy Sledge, who soared from part-time singer and hospital orderly to lasting fame with his aching, forlorn performance on the classic "When a Man Loves a Woman," died Tuesday in Louisiana. He was 74.
Dr. William "Beau" Clark, coroner for East Baton Rouge Parish, confirmed to The Associated Press that Sledge died early Tuesday morning, about an hour after midnight, of natural causes in hospice care.
A No. 1 hit in 1966, "When a Man Loves a Woman" was Sledge's debut single, an almost unbearably heartfelt ballad with a resonance he never approached again. Few singers could have. Its mood set by a mournful organ and dirge-like tempo, "When a Man Loves a Woman" was for many the definitive soul ballad, a testament of blinding, all-consuming love haunted by fear and graced by overwhelming emotion.
"When a Man Loves a Woman" was a personal triumph for Sledge, who seemed on the verge of sobbing throughout the production, and a breakthrough for Southern soul. It was the first No. 1 hit from Alabama's burgeoning Muscle Shoals music scene, where Aretha Franklin and the Rolling Stones among others would record, and the first gold record for Atlantic Records.
Atlantic Records executive Jerry Wexler later called the song "a transcendent moment" and "a holy love hymn." Sledge's hit became a standard that sustained his long touring career in the U.S., Europe and South Africa, when he averaged 100 performances a year, and led to his induction into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame in 2005. It was a favorite at weddings - Sledge himself did the honors at a ceremony for musician and actor Steve Van Zandt - and often turned up in movies, including "The Big Chill," "The Crying Game" and a 1994 Meg Ryan drama named for the song's title.
"When a Man Loves a Woman" was re-released after being featured in Oliver Stone's Vietnam War film "Platoon" in 1987 and reached No. 2 in Britain. Michael Bolton topped the charts in the 1990s with a cover version and Rolling Stone magazine later ranked it No. 53 on its list of the greatest songs of all time.
Recognizable by his wide, gap-toothed smile, Sledge had a handful of other hits between 1966 and 1968, including "Warm and Tender Love," "It Tears Me Up," "Out of Left Field" and "Take Time to Know Her." He returned to the charts in 1974 with "I'll Be Your Everything."
Before he became famous, Sledge worked in the cotton fields around his hometown of Leighton in northwest Alabama and took a job in a hospital in nearby Sheffield. He also spent weekends playing with a rhythm-and-blues band called the Esquires. A patient at the hospital heard him singing while working and recommended him to record producer Quin Ivy.
In the 2013 documentary "Muscle Shoals," Sledge recalled recording the song: "When I came into the studio, I was shaking like a leaf. I was scared." He added that it was the "same melody that I sang when I was out in the fields. I just wailed out in the woods and let the echo come back to me."
The composition of the song has long been a mystery. Some thought that Sledge wrote it himself. Sledge said he was inspired by a girlfriend who left him for a modeling career after he was laid off from a construction job in 1965, but he gave the songwriting credits to two Esquires bandmates, bassist Calvin Lewis and organist Andrew Wright, who helped him with the song.
While identified with the Muscle Shoals music scene, Sledge spent most of his career living in Baton Rouge. He was inducted in the Alabama Music Hall of Fame in 1993 and the Louisiana Music Hall of Fame in 2007.
In April 1994, Sledge pleaded guilty in federal court to tax evasion involving income from concerts in the late 1980s. He was sentenced to six months in a halfway house, given five years of probation, and ordered to pay $96,000 in back taxes and fines. When he pleaded guilty, he told the judge, "I knew I owed more."
Sledge had surgery for liver cancer in January 2014 but soon resumed touring.

[youtube]n8Y_-Za59d0[/youtube]

Not that he/they (with Hot Chocolate) had a lot of hits, but this was such a catchy song it was imposable not to start moving to the funky-fuzzy beat.

Errol Brown dies aged 71 after suffering from liver cancer.

RIP Errol Brown.

[youtube]JQsg6XXGxXQ[/youtube]

B.B. King was truly a rock-n-roll giant. I only got to hear him live once in the 1984. While so many other players tried to amaze with speed , King could just play one note and it would be perfect, or he could shred the guitar neck like no other, either as he pleased. He influenced so many rock-n-rollers, too many to count.

He never stopped touring until the day he got too sick to travel. He said "It's simple, if I don't play I don't get paid."

As I collect the stories from the famous that influenced them I will post them below the video. Please do the same if you run across one.

RIP B.B. King

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLC9FB2AC82FFC8DF7

Edit: Clapton on BB King
"I just wanted to express my sadness and to say thank you to my dear friend B.B. King," Clapton said. "I want to thank him for all the inspiration and encouragement he gave to me as a player over the years and for the friendship that we enjoyed. There's not a lot left to say because his music is almost a thing of the past now and there are not many left that play it in the pure way that B.B. did. If you're not familiar with his work I would encourage you to go out and find an album called B.B. King Live at the Regal, which is where it all really started for me as a young player."

Read more: http://www.rollingstone.com/music/n...b-king-he-was-a-beacon-20150515#ixzz3aHCQizag

it would be hard for you young guys to understand what happened when BB first appeared at the Filmore and phil graham introduced him as the 'chairman of the board'. the world is so much different now.

The fingers said:
I believe he was quoted once as saying "I don't play chords". He could of course; but chose not to and no longer had to for many years. :D

BB Box.jpg

Melodic, Syncopation, as much jazz as rock, Chris Squire was always able to slip into and out of any genre of music he desired. This was back when big music acts were actually good musicians and actually played on stage unlike today when all the modern acts who simply sing to a CD while onstage. This is what helped YES to be so entertaining. They could play!

RIP Chris Squire!

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/news/chris-squire-yes-bassist-and-co-founder-dead-at-67-20150628
Chris Squire, the co-founder and longtime bassist of prog rock icons Yes and the only member of the group to feature on every studio album, has passed away just over a month after revealing that he was suffering from a rare form of leukemia. Squire was 67. Current Yes keyboardist Geoff Downes first tweeted the news, "Utterly devastated beyond words to have to report the sad news of the passing of my dear friend, bandmate and inspiration Chris ....snip

[youtube]QO49gHC3tfc[/youtube]

[youtube]9rpBUD0hjaI[/youtube]

Back