Joe Cocker loses battle with lung cancer

EMF

100 kW
Curious about The Bikers Bar? Become a member to v
Bummer- another legend dies. From his cover of the Beatles "Little Help From My Friends" at Woodstock, which is my first recollection of him to the present, he was a great voice. He was integral to the scene when I was growing up and a lot of my memories are tied to his tunes. I still listen to his songs to this day.

This guy will be missed. No one like him. :cry:

Singer Joe Cocker, best known for his cover of the Beatles' With A Little Help From My Friends, has died aged 70, his agent has confirmed.

The Sheffield born singer song-writer had a career lasting more than 40 years with hits including You Are So Beautiful and Up Where We Belong. His agent Barrie Marshall confirmed he had died of an undisclosed illness.

He was "simply unique" and "it will be impossible to fill the space he leaves in our hearts," he added.

Known for his gritty voice, Cocker began his singing career in the pubs and clubs of Sheffield in the 1960s before hitting the big time. He was propelled to pop stardom when his version of The Beatles' With A Little Help from My Friends reached number one in 1968. He performed the song at the famous Woodstock Festival in New York state a year later. His duet with Jennifer Warnes, Up Where We Belong - from An Officer And A Gentleman - hit number one and went on to win both a Grammy and an Academy Award in 1983. He was made an OBE in 2007.

(The Order of the British Empire recognises distinguished service to the arts and sciences, public services outside the Civil Service and work with charitable and welfare organisations of all kinds. I had to look it up EMF)

Cocker's duet with Jennifer Warnes Up Where We Belong won a Grammy and an Oscar
Last year his arena tour across Europe saw him achieve a number one album in Germany and give what was to be his final concert in Hammersmith, London, in June.

Mr Marshall said it was with "the heaviest hearts we heard that our beloved Joe Cocker passed away last night". "He was without the doubt the greatest rock/soul voice ever to come out of Britain and remained the same man throughout his life." He described Cocker as a "true star" who was also "a kind and humble man who loved to perform". "Anyone who ever saw him live will never forget him," he added.

Among the musicians who have paid tribute to Cocker, were the Beatles' drummer Ringo Starr, who tweeted: "Goodbye and God bless to Joe Cocker."

Singer song-writer Frank Turner tweeted: "Wow. Sad to hear of Joe Cocker's passing. Incredible singer."

Many of us here are old enough to know who I am talking about

http://www.bbc.com/news/entertainment-arts-30582761

"With a little help from my friends"

As soulful as an Englishman there every was. Early reports link his death to lung cancer. RIP Joe!!!

[youtube]GwQDgUlNOHM[/youtube]

[youtube]bRzKUVjHkGk[/youtube]
Yea, saw the news day of and mourn his passing with all the rest. Of my life's many regrets was the night my good friend, still in high school, came knocking as he was off to Woodstock, and did I want to come along? WTF, home & school and it wasn't until years latter that I felt it. Ah well, but whoa, what an era, the late 60's as the music and other legends appeared on stage, performed to our awe, and now exit.
LifeIsPleasant.png

Back