Shifters: Front/Rear combination shifter?

amberwolf

Administrator
Staff member
Phoenix, AZ, USA, Earth, Sol, Local Bubble, Orion
Usually my google-fu lets me find out someone else has already thought of everything I can imagine, and I can then see just how bad an idea it is before I try it out. :lol:

THis one, though, I havent' found yet, after a couple of hours of poking around and reading forums and articles on regular biking sites.

Since this isn't ebike-specific, I considered posting this up on a regular biking forum, but since many of the experts on those sites don't seem to like non-traditional suggestions or ideas, I figured I'd try it out here on ES first. ;)

Anyhow: Has anyone ever seen an existing system to use a single shifter that will "automatically" shift front and rear derailers thru their most effective combinations from highest gear to lowest, and back?

Presently all the systems I know of control each derailer separately. If one happens to be at top speed, largest chainring in front and smallest in back, then suddenly needs to slow to a stop for some reason, it can get a little complex for someone with slow reactions and/or coordination problems (like me) to downshift on both shifters at the same time as braking and signalling a stop (presuming no brake lights, just hand signals). For me personally, it's pretty much impossible, and I might be able to downshift one derailer and brake--and whichever brake I have to use means it's only the *other* hand's derailer that gets downshifted.

Example: a bike has a front triple chainring, and a rear six-sprocket cluster, there's 18 possible combinations, some of which are duplicates of each other in gear-inches / etc.

So, couldn't a simple mechanical system use a single shifter to control both derailers to shift from each of the possible combinations to the next?

Electronically, with something like pull-and-hold servos to manage the derailer cables, I can imagine a few ways to do it--at least one of which wouldnt' require an MCU and custom programming to do it, but none of these are really "simple", and all of them require a significant power source to control and operate them, and they won't work without power--they'd automatically let each derailer drop back into it's lowest-tension mode.

Geared / linear actuators could be used instead of the above, so that no power is required to maintain a shifter position. But it's still not simple and still requires power to shift.

But I am apparently too tired and distracted to think of any mechanical way to do this, other than a little clockwork gearbox that would take a single shifter input and convert it to two separate shifter outputs. And I don't really know how to design such a gearbox, much less make one. :/

Any ideas? Existing systems? New ways? Am I just crazy? (don't answer that :lol:)

FWIW, what got me thinking about this was the bike I"m building for Bill, and how I could simplifiy shifting for him. The only pedal bikes he's had were all singlespeed coaster-brake types (everything else on two wheels has been a motorcycle of one size or another). He's not incapable of dealing with the shifting, but the easier it is the more likely he'll be able to use the gears to help him exercise with it properly without injuring his knees/etc by using the wrong gears for startups/etc.

(Many people I know that ride (or rode) bikes don't shift at all cuz they "forget" or because it is "too complex" to remember which gear is for which speed, so they leave it in a "middle gear"...eventually they get tired of how hard it is to startup from a stop or go up a hill, or not be able to pedal faster, because they even forget the shifters are there at all, or how to use them, or whatever, and then they stop riding the bike at some point and give up on the idea. I don't know if this would simplify things enough for them or not, but....).

I've never seen such a thing as both shift from one lever. But you won't need a super low gear for Phoenix hills. My guess is Bill would like a nexus IGH and one ring up front best.

I do recall an automatic shifting bike from years ago, perhaps as far back as the 80's. They used to advertise in Smithsonian along side with the folding kyacks and huge number phones.

dogman dan said:
I've never seen such a thing as both shift from one lever. But you won't need a super low gear for Phoenix hills. My guess is Bill would like a nexus IGH and one ring up front best.
I'd do something like that (or even a sturmey-archer 3speed hub) if I had one. I do have an SA hub but no shifter that I can find (did have a couple at least, but havent' run across them yet). I might be able to make an SA shifter out of a friction shifter or front 3ring shifter.

As for hills, it's more for the startup from a stop.

But this particular idea wasn't just specifically for Bill, just that I thought of it when pondering the best shifter type for him, and if there *was* an easy way to do it I'd probably try to make one for his bike to test it out.

I do recall an automatic shifting bike from years ago, perhaps as far back as the 80's.
At least a couple versions, I have the stuff off a Landrider. It has some disadvantages. You have to use the belt drive wheel it comes with behind the freewheel/cluster, and that drive wheel only correctly fits a certain size/type of spoke flange and hub (the spoke heads are what actually hold it in place). You have to use it's special belt-driven-weight version of it's derailer, which cannot be manually shifted should something go wrong with the autoshifter. (well, unless you use zipties or something to force it into a specific gear; there's no place for a cable shifter)

YOu also have to pedal when braking, so the chain goes round while it does it's down shifting thing as you slow to a stop, or else it can jam cuz the derailer cant' get far enough over. (bascially you have to pedal anytime the speed is changing or it may end up moving the derailer over far enougth either way that when you restart pedalling it'll jam the chain in the jockey wheel cage).

I know I've seen such a thing at Aaron's Bicycle Repair here in Seattle, but I can't remember what it's called. However, in my search for that, I found three other things.

Looks legit: http://www.e-g-s.com/
Maybe never materialized?: http://www.gizmag.com/ixow-synchrobox-adjusts-derailleurs/31952/
Fancy fancy electronic shifting: http://www.bikehugger.com/post/view/xtr-electronic-synchro-shifting-god-help-us-when-our-bikes-become-sentient

Of course, nowadays you can get a 1x10 or 1x11 drivetrain with a enormous gear range, probably enough for anyone to ride around a city with, and only have to deal with one shifter.

haulincolin said:
Looks legit: http://www.e-g-s.com/
From what I can see here:
http://www.e-g-s.com/99Range/index.html
it would probably be the closest thing I have found so far, but I expect it's far out of my price range.

The other issue is it lists this:
Code:
Transmission : 3x9/3x8
Sequential Mode : 1x1/1x7
I couldn't find on their site exactly what they mean, but it sounds like:

1) it will only work with a 3-ring front and either 8 or 9 sprocket rear

2) it won't work as a sequential shifter with *all* of the front rings, only one of them (presumably has a setting for which one?), *and* it wont' use all of the rear sprockets, either.

If true, it also won't do what's needed. It might just mean it ignores duplicate combinations, but I dunno how that would give the numbers they show.

There are other versions if you click the "top competition" "competition" "free ride" "leisure" "city" "youth" submenus, but none of them really explain their usage well, and some of their "sequential modes" are 1x1 which sounds like they don't do sequential shifting at all?

THe "city" version shows
Code:
Transmission : 3x8/3x7
Continuous Mode
which means it might be the version (other than the limitation on number of front/rear sprockets) that would work, if "continous" means it sequentially goes thru the combinations.

Another potential issue is this:
Code:
Brakes levers : Specially designed to operate with the Synchro ShiftTM, V-Brake : EV 1/EV 2 Cantilever : EC 2/EC 4
and I can see an integrated brake lever in the Youth version; if they all have integrated levers they may not work with what's on teh bike. (though I guess I could just take it's lever off and rotate it out of the way, so I could use existing levers--but then the levers would not be as easily reachable with the hand still on the grip).

They mention a tech manual but I haven't found a link to any downloadable data at all.

I've emailed their USA tech address to try to get more info.

Maybe never materialized?: http://www.gizmag.com/ixow-synchrobox-adjusts-derailleurs/31952/
Looks like that would shift both derailers, but it requires replacing the existing front derailer, which means that if you have a specific front derailer already because of cage size/shape/etc. for larger or unusual chainrings, you can't use the system, or you have to change your chainrings to whatever will fit the system. :(

So it doesn't do what I'd want, which is to be able to shift whatever set of derailers is already on the bike. (given that either the device I'd want would either have some way to set the spacing and number of chainrings and sprockets, or would have to have a version for each combination).

Fancy fancy electronic shifting: http://www.bikehugger.com/post/view/xtr-electronic-synchro-shifting-god-help-us-when-our-bikes-become-sentient
That looks closer, but it probably only works with 11-sprocket rear clusters, which I don't have and probably wouldn't find in the normal course of things, given the class of bike stuff I usually run across.

Of course, nowadays you can get a 1x10 or 1x11 drivetrain with a enormous gear range, probably enough for anyone to ride around a city with, and only have to deal with one shifter.
Sure, but I'd have to go buy new stuff for that (well, I could probably find them used, too, but I dunno that they will work with the bikes I already have or will have, etc., and that's the main point of a "simple" combination shifter: to work with the existing stuff already on a bike I already have. :)

The fingers said:
I remember seeing the TV commercials for this one:
http://evolvethebike.com/
That one uses an IGH of some type from what I can see, and so it isn't what I am after. If that was an option, I could just use the NuVinci rear hub and the electronic autoshifter.

Funny they call it "autobike" though, because that is what the Landrider's other version was called (or one of htem, at least).

Hmm. So far every email address I tried off their Contact page bounces with this message (where ****** is whatever name their page has for a particular contact):

Code:
Delivery to the following recipient failed permanently:

******@e-g-s.com

Technical details of permanent failure:
Google tried to deliver your message, but it was rejected by the server for the recipient domain e-g-s.com by interpc1.interpc.fr. [109.239.117.21].

The error that the other server returned was:
554 5.7.1 <******@e-g-s.com>: Relay access denied

So either their server isn't accepting mail from Gmail, or they can't get mail at all, or their site exists but they don't, or something. :(

Anyway, I guess I won't be finding more out about it that way.

So far have found no new info on any of the stuff above. Checked wiht a few LBS here to see if any of them can get any of them, and all are apparently unobtainium, none could get hold of any of the companies involved either.

I probably couldn't afford them anyway.

Maybe someday I'll have the time and energy to design my own. :lol:

according to this webpage the company you tried to contact went bankrupt in 1999 :lol: & $himano bought out their patents.
synchrobox is also a french outfit like the original seems like there might be some direct gentic lineage as well like the Di2.
with 200k units of the original produced there must be some sitting around in paree bike recycle shops for cheep.
hit up forum member bzhwindtalker to keep an eye out.

synchrobox: available spring 2017?
http://medium.com/@damien.golbin/synchrobox-a-gearbox-for-your-bicycle-which-synchronizes-your-front-rear-derailleurs-67809586587a
[youtube]nLL9EOcPnlU[/youtube]

Back