Fire at ebikes-sf

neptronix

Administrator
Staff member
http://sfbay.ca/2015/01/17/firefighter-injured-in-bike-shop-fire/

Fire crews responded to a report of a fire at a two-story building at 1943 Ocean Ave. around 6:20 a.m., the dispatcher said. Ebikes SF, an electric bicycle shop, is listed at that address.

The blaze was under control shortly before 7 a.m., according to the dispatcher.

Very sad. I met Ilia ( owner ) in person, and he is a super cool dude.. my thoughts go out to him.. and i am curious about the cause of fire of course.

If anyone knows more, please update here. :|

Super Bad.
Ilia is a great guy who always gave his customers 110%.
Hoping Ebikes SF is quick to rise from the ashes...

Thanks for the update - sending an email out to him....

snaps from the video:

EbikesSf-2.jpg
EbikesSf-1.jpg

I just sent him an email notifying him about this thread fyi

Really sad to see this. Ilia helped me with the CroBorg build and built the motor wheel for the eBikeE. I went to that new store right after he opened it and moved in, he was still in boxes. I wish him the best and hope he is able to rebuild. I recommended a quiet compressor, I sure hope that wasn't a cause in the fire!

Tragic loss for the eBike community.
Luckily, no loss of life ..just melted eBikes :cry:
Well wishes sent for the injured firefighter and Ilia.

Terrible news. I am guessing it was a bad charger or a customer's bike.

Hope he has insurance of some sort.

I was speculating it was a customers bike with hobby grade lipo pouches, not a quality battery ebikes-sf supplied

Strange the same thing just happened to another ebike shop the first week of January:

"An electric bicycle shop in the Clarendon area was damaged by a fire Sunday night.

The fire department was called just before 8:00 p.m. for a fire at the Hybrid Pedals shop at 925 N. Jackson Street. The shop sells bikes outfitted with electric motors, also called “eBikes.”
The blaze was extinguished quickly, according to Arlington County Fire Department spokeswoman Lt. Sarah Marchegiani, but caused an estimated $150,000 in damage.
The fire started by the heat from a battery charger, Marchegiani said. No one was at the shop at the time and no injuries were reported."

More random speculation

There is an arsonist on the loose in SF right now

http://wn.ktvu.com/story/27885860/3-suspicious-fires-set-in-castro-neighborhood-monday-morning

http://sfist.com/2014/12/18/sfpd_stumped_by_second_outbreak_of.php

"Since early September, there have been reports of more than two dozen arson fires involving cars in different parts of San Francisco."

Hope they catch this ahole. Probably one of the few thousand skitzo's here

Aww man,,, Why his shop? Last guy who deserves that. I hope he can bounce back ok, but even with great insurance, a fire is a gigantic setback.

Ilia is a great guy. He was the first to offer BMC motors at a fair price. I bought one of his first ones when he only sold on ebay (no website).

When he first showed up here I recommended him and told everybody about my great experience dealing with him. He was one of the pioneers of ebike sales and services.

I really hope he can overcome this huge setback.

I haven't heard back from him. You know, i wouldn't mind setting up or facilitating some kind of help ( crowd funding ) or whatnot, depending on what his needs or goals are.

Sad news, I have one of his BMC setups. It's still running great on my favorite ride. Great service.

Hope he can recover from the setback. I met him at his shop last year where he kindly spent time showing me some cool tools he's made and tips as an ebike builder & technician. His passion for the industry was great to see.

My condolences.
This really sucks. Hope the store was insured...

If someone starts a collection, let me know, I'll throw in.

Back