The Trek XM700+

arkmundi

10 MW
Trek Presents Next Generation Speed Pedelec
MERSFOORT, the Netherlands – Presented as Trek’s answer on growing market demand for speed pedelecs by an increasing number of commuters, the American bicycle manufacturer launches the XM700+.
Bike-Europe-Trek-E-bike-272x233.jpg

“The Trek XM700+ is a stable and sportive speed pedelec thanks to the powerful Bosch Performance Speed motor in combination with a PowerPack 400 battery mounted on the down tube and a dedicated frame design,” explains Trek’s brand manager Jan-Willem Groen.

The street legal XM700+ also features Magura hydraulic disc brakes, a Bontrager adjustable monoshock fork and Schwalbe tyres which are approved for speeds of up to 50 kilometres per hour.

Not surprisingly the introduction of Trek’s next generation speed pedelec took place in the Netherlands. It is expected that the market in this e-bike loving country will pick-up this new product category very quickly.

Locally (socal), Trek is attempting to penetrate the ebike market with ho hum (to me) models with Shimano Steps systems. Can't wait to try their Bosch offerings if they ever get here.

I went to my local Trek store the other day to inquire what MTB or hybrid model bikes had steel frames, beside the 820. Their answer was not any, just the 820. Trek has gone all aluminium. Only reason the 820 is steel is to keep the cost low - its their entry MTB. When I went shopping last year for all new eBike, I bought the Trek Shift 3, because I like the ride and it had what I wanted - front shock, seat-post suspension, good gearing, MTB hybrid style, decent price. Except I shredded those aluminium drop-outs, to my chagrin, frustration and expense.

I was in searching for a replacement bike, as I'm not confident my attempt to rebuild those shredded drop-outs is going to hold. So I'm relating my experience and talking with the knowledgeable salesman. His answer was to get Trek XM700+, because its a bike designed and manufactured to be a fast eBike. Then do what I would do anyway, put my MAC 8T on it. So it'd be a dual-drive, mid & rear. :mrgreen:

Who is doing the review or test of this? I didn't see either in the thread so far....

If it's not going to be reviewed or tested here on ES, perhaps this would be better placed in one of the *-General Discussion forums?

The XM700+ is now listed on the Trek Bikes US site!

http://www.trekbikes.com/us/en/collections/electric_assist/xm700_plus_us/#

Asset_348164.jpg

I like it quite a bit: Trek warranty, Bosch smoothness, 28 mph limit, fenders stock, and both front and rear rack eyelets. My only wish would be for a bit more tire clearance as I have a loose-material commute, but can't win 'em all in the factory sphere.

Least expensive Bosch bike that I've seen, and I like the suspension fork design (had one on a Cannondale years ago that functioned well). Looks like it could be fitted with cyclocross tires.

Very nice! This is great competition to the Turbo, you don't have to pay $5000 or $6000 to go 28 mph. The rear fender looks way too short in the back though to be effective. Trek requires a dealer to order a number of ebikes if they want to be able to sell them, so will probably be hard to find at your LBS.

2old said:
Least expensive Bosch bike that I've seen, and I like the suspension fork design (had one on a Cannondale years ago that functioned well). Looks like it could be fitted with cyclocross tires.
I don't care about the suspension fork, per se, but I am super psyched that its design allows for a real front fender.

Back