MOVIE NITE

nutnspecial

10 MW
I can't believe there is not yet some master thread for movies! Well now there can be :lol:
Movies can be great if you allow them to be. There is a lense that we all look thru, and we can adjust it to find positive/negative. I can watch just about anything, but maybe my tolerance is high. I do have favorites though, as I'm sure everyone does. Great movies allow us to feel something good that we wouldn't have otherwise. I prefer positive emotions, but being scared shtless or sobbing uncontrollably sometimes has it's place (and maybe some think they are good, which I guess they can be). There's so many that are so good, I thought it would be cool to list our favorites and what they mean to us, so others might enjoy them also.
MovieNight.jpeg

So let's list our favorites! Categorize and comment as you like- although any spoilers should be well noted- let's not be rude, as some (like me) prefer not to know anything other than basic impressions/genres.
Maybe try to keep your 'favorites list' to about 25 tops to.

Best recent movie? Often the one I just watched last week.

But the real test is a movie you've seen 10 times already and will watch again any day. Then it turns a lot more in to a Directors list. But each favorite director still has a favorite movie.

David Lean (Dr Zhivago), Kurosawa (Seven Samurai), John Ford (The Searchers), Sergio Leone( Fist full of dollars which is actually Yohimbo), Or maybe a cinematographer, like Jack Cardiff who did The Red Shoes and Black Narcissus.

Music matters, such as with the David Lean movies scored by Maurice Jarre or Sergio Leone movies scored by Ennio Morricone.

Worth noting that list is pretty old stuff. It's not that I don't like Spielberg or Lucas. I loved Apocalypse Now and Jaws and Star Wars. But I don't watch them over and over quite like I will the Kurosawa.

I like any movie. But I can not stand american comedy like Austin Powers :x
Come to think of it an Ebike movie will be awesome :mrgreen:

Seven Samurai may be the greatest film of all time. Its one of those perfect Saturday afternoon, hung over, and skipping out on mowing the lawn type movies

Star Wars was a great film and all, but The Empire Strikes Back was a much better movie. Spielberg should have stopped the series there, retired, and left a legacy that would have been much greater than it is now.

Nausicaä of the Valley of the Wind. Hayao Miyazaki may be the greatest director to have ever lived.

Fury. John Wayne or Charlton Heston could have starred in this movie. Brad Pitt finally removes all doubt that he can act. he hasn't made a movie this good since Fight Club.

Fight Club. We don't talk about Fight Club.

The Fifth Element. Blade Runner. Reservoir Dogs. Ghost in the Shell. Ferris Bueller's Day Off. Do those films need any explanation?

And from the really out in left field, a Russian film not released in the west. White Tiger.
Grab some popcorn. this should be the whole movie.
[youtube]uoQ1jXmpIKc[/youtube]

Just saw "Gone Girl" with Ben Affleck 2 nights ago on Netflix while I was curled up in the fetal position on the couch. Very good movie.

Yeah, that was a good one, I'm a huge Tommy Lee Jones fan. Check out the Homesman, if you are too.

Thought not really in the class of Kurosawa, David Lean, etc, Luc Besson's early movie The Big Blue is awesome, along with La Femme Nikita.(not the remake) And along those lines, Robert Rodriquez original Mariachi, and of course the Quentin Tarantino movies if the F bomb doesn't bother you. And how, how indeed could you leave out John Milius movies. The quirky one I love of his is Big Wednesday, not that the original Conan, or Red Dawn sucked or anything. Milius wrote but did not direct Jeremiah Johnson, and Apocalypse Now. Perhaps Milius is in the Kurosawa class.

Definitely a trend there, love the big writer/directors early, possibly first movies. The ones they really put the love into on a low budget. Like American Graffiti, vs Star Wars. Or Eat My Dust vs Cocoon.

I just watched Kung Fury at a friend's house, it's a "so bad it's good" kind of action comedy movie. Only about half an hour long, so you don't lose much life to it. Started out as a Kickstarter campaign I guess. Worth a watch if you grew up in or around the 80's Arcade Era watching the tough guy cop movie genre of the day.

We have a local "retro" movie theatre .."The Orpheum picture palace" .
...a real recreation of a 1920's picture house.
http://www.orpheum.com.au/archive/
Complete with Wurlitzer organ that rises throughout the floor infront of the main screen ! 8)
As well as the usual mainstream movies, they show a lot of limited release / small budget productions.
Every month they have a repeat showing of the "worst movie of all time " ..." The Room"
It has become a rite of passage to see it as many times as you can bear . :lol:

Excellent comments/opinions!

For 2014, I'd like to put my 'stamp' on two 'highproduction' movies I found the most out-the-box due to their originality in idea or screenplay, or both.
My actual 'favs' are pretty much all in the last few years though, with the exception of 'best of their time" category which it's possible to go back to the beginning of cinema with, and could vary in degree based on your age.

BIRDMAN -Michael Keaton, Edward Norton view x2

INTERSTELLER -Mat McConaughey, Anne Hathaway view x2

I always thought this was a risky thread...
People's taste in Movies is like music , art, fashion , women, etc etc.....a personal thing shaped by personal experiences and preferences.
We will all have our fav's and likes, dislikes etc.
Birdman, to me is $40 and 2 hours of my life I would like back !

I hear ya Hillhater- just finished it and is as remembered. One of a kind, extremely deep and different (-call it a faux reality psychologial drama?) , but not as I would expect to see when shelling out hardmoney. That's parta what makes it special imo- it's not bad for the genre despite not being independant/sundance.

Intersteller was excellent imo too, but a polar opposite (to laymen). Big picture is, maybe there's a way to correlate both towards reality. I liked em both- don't blame the thread, blame me :mrgreen:

Edit/// Also, No country for old men was awesome, though not for everybody.

Fight Club was good.

Taxi Driver
Django
Back to the Future
Indiana Jones
Star Wars

All I got to do is google best movies and there they are.

Shawshank Redemption
The Shining
Alien
Scarface

I wouldn't say anybody's picks suck, but I do think Tarantino has done much better than Django.

But if you do like Tarantino, see where some of his favorite music came from, by watching Navajo Joe. It's a hoot, with Burt Reynolds playing the navajo in a spaghetti western.

On the bright side, nobody has said that Birth of a Nation was the best movie of all time. :D DW Griffith, what an a hole! But in the silent era, if you haven't seen Safety Last, you need to.

Plan 9 from outer space is not the worst movie ever anymore? Wow, that must be some bad movie!

I am among giants here- I will be looking for many of the recommendations that are unfamiliar.

"Tonight's the night" Neil Young :D Haven't eaten any junky stuff/ cheese in a few weeks. Just ordered my fav- a pizzahut pan with a dozen toppings.
What to watch? I rewatched one of my favs the other nite when starting this thread, and have seen most of the good movies mentioned except for the older ones that I'm sure are more than excellent, but I will save them for when I'm aiming for that 'temporal' addition to the general movie digestion.

I may have to go with 'perfect getaway' w/ mila jovovich for the nice setting, actors, and story.
Or maybe star trek- the last several are very watchable, but the last two kinda blow my mind. Rip Mr Nimoy.

Ps, this is off topic, but I'm too lazy to post in my random thread- Stinging Nettle is some crazy shit. Reminds me of a jellyfish sting. Cut a .15 mi trail thru 6ft growth w/machete and got into some lol. Weird how quickly it affects, and my arm and leg still feel 'asleep'. Craziness, but good prank to play on the lady? :twisted:

Yeah, you wait and wait for the $6 million dollar man to run 60mph or jump over something, but. . . .

How about pre-'Spartacus' Kirk Douglas and Tony Curtis as Vikings?

[youtube]pWhqUDtl2HQ[/youtube]

The Vikings wasn't bad, though I do have to laugh now at some of the scenes. If you liked that movie, check out the tv drama series on Hulu, by the same name, Vikings. A real wade though the blood, but great story line to back it up. Two seasons, so a great binge watch.

Spartacus high on the list too, top hundred or so. (no surprise, Dalton Trumbo!)

But the favorite Kirk movie will always be The Brave Cowboy. Partly because it's Edward Abbey, but much because it was filmed where I was born, about when I was born. Just interesting to see the city as I remember it from childhood, not such a big town. Get a good laugh out of who the truck driver is in that movie.

If you want to see some of the older, really good stuff, sign up to Hulu. See some great old French movies, like Wages of Fear. Good source for samurai movies too. American and British old movies tend to be on Turner. Snag a password from a buddy if you don't have cable or satelite, to watch that stuff on demand. If you have Netflix, check out a TV series called the Story of Film, for a great film school class. Then go find those bizzare Chech films on Hulu. 8) Just make sure you are as high as the director was to watch em. :)

OMG, just googled The Norseman. That wasn't written by Milius. No Conan. You know it really reeks when you see Jack Elam in the cast, or Lee Majors.

Sometimes I go on a bad movie kick, just for the laughs they can be. But few reach the level of Plan 9 from outer space. If you want to see bad movies made fun of, check out mystery science theatre 3000.

I just re watched zombeav. It is truly depraved in so many ways I just can't count them all. It is an anti-symbol of society quite honestly that I withdraw even my 'bad' recommend from.

Star trek has always intriqued me with 'outbox' thinking and the light questioning applicable to everday human existance and society. The movies have not disappointed either.

The newest: into darkness : has several parallelable instances within 10min

star.jpg
The 'indgenous backward caveman' worshiping a scroll (religion anybody?) are 'saved' by the multifaceted endeavors of the 'extraterrestrial' enterprise, involving self sacrifice, and the opposite- selfishness, but with the best of intentions.
-The savior(s) are then worshipped. ??? Potential reality- It's actually written as such in different old books. which backs up 'art immitates life'. they use and mask popular ideas into 'entertainment'. and all ideas only are distillations and perversions of the truth that is our fabric of life. hence, nothing new under the sun!

To possibly counter this proposition of right and wrong, there is the black man that not only gives his life for his daughter, but takes the lives and safety of those around him.

Can it be right to do wrong? ever? I think not, and that's my favorite thing to stake my life on.
-And what is it the enterprise or black guy think they're saving the rest from? Death is simply unknown. For all we know it is true perfection and freedom.
-before any get the wrong idea - I would exclude suicide- Because if it is wrong to end human life artificially, it is also wrong to end your own, save for selfless acts, where you give to save other humans directly - see: all dogs go to heaven lol

Yeah I know. I call it deep. Maybe you call it blahblah bullshit. Eitherway- really excellent movies, that I only now see the deeper side of. The shadowed relevance tells me that there is something greater at play, when something so profound can be seen in the smallest instances. -Sure we can call it chance, but I think chance is ultimately the same as destiny, based on the center of all human life, to exist we must stand for what is right, and ultimately we will prove it.
:p

Back