Tuning down an em3ev 18fet controller questions.

gestalt

10 kW
Upgraded my controller from 12fet to 18fet on my Mac motor. I want to have it limited to 40a like it used to run on the 12fet so it stays cool and unstressed. I have the programming cable and software all set up. Has anyone programmed a em3ev/cellman 18fet? I've heard that the settings aren't exactly equivalent, that you should make the settings less than what you are trying to get for amps. What are the general rules of thumb when programming these?

So for backstory I have been running an 8t Mac rear hub as a mid drive on my pedicab with a 12fet Infineon controller. At the last music festival the cab was jamming through the mud loaded when all the front hubbies were getting cooked. My motor was barely getting warm thanks to the reduction to the rear differential. The only other cabs that were going toe to toe were some guys from Austin with motors driving the differential.

Problem is a member of my team got a little ahead of himself and took the cab out without getting the tutorial. It resulted in the power cables getting reversed on the enerdell module, fried controller and connections. Luckily the freewheel in the Mac hub just let us keep working without having to pull the motor out.

Back