Remove Microphone off PCB

D-Man

100 kW
I have a different mic I wanted to try for this camera board. A simple question but what's the best way to desolder the mic when there is no pins on the back side? I may want to reuse it if the new one doesn't work out. I know you guys are smart in here. :)

Attachments

• IMG_1126 (Small).JPG
    IMG_1126 (Small).JPG
    52.3 KB · Views: 1,749
My best results for something like this is a solder sucking device like this..

http://www.amazon.com/Parts-Express-Solder-Sucker-desoldering/dp/B015YVQ32S

You must be quick, and maybe try a few time to get all the solder out of the hole on the PCB, but when you have the technique down, clearing holes in the PCB becomes easy. Get something like the solder-sucker posted above and practice on a scrap PCB until you are good enough at it and then pull your mic.

:D

I have one of those solder suckers. I don't see any holes though. On the backside of the board looks like this:

Double sided PCB?

OK, I don't see how the part of the underside PCB would work with a mic. What you showed looks like the two leads are connected...... :shock:

As you know, microphone won't work like that........

Is there anyway to gently pry the mic up a bit to see the underside without damaging it?

:D

It's on there pretty good. I don't want to destroy it. It has soldering pads rather thin pins so yes it is surface mount. Need a soldering iron with a thin putty knife attachment. Scoop it off.

Yeah I dont know, never worked with stuff like that before. Very thin soldering tip needed I guess.
Pliers to the mic to lift up, and somehow get the soldering iron underneath it. Maybe theres a cap/top to the mic, pops off?

Try with a mini flat head, shove it under, lift up see how high you can get it.

Might be one of those situations for hot air SMD station? I've been shopping those recently since more and more SMD seems to be in my repair pile.

If you have a spare soldering tip, maybe you could configure something up that can slip underneath it.
Or just get pliers locked to a flat metal piece, heat up metal with soldering iron...... slip under mic in the middle IF possible, move side to side but also UP to pop it out. If it is Surface Mount then theres no room in the middle of the mic, then you have to heat up both sides of the SM.

Yeah I dunno.

Red circle in picture, the 2 "holes" is there any hole there at all, is it solder or a trace.

I am not so sure that the trace in the red circle is the proper one anyway. That looks like one trace. Mic wires don't connect to themselves.

From what I can see from the picture, I think these are the traces for the mic.

Mic traces.JPG

I would also be wary of using heat other then an iron because you could do damage to the mic's diaphragm if it is plastic or has plastic parts.....

Thanks for the replies. I got it off but something happened to the middle contact on the board. Probably got ripped off. :x I don't understand this type of mic with center positive. Might have to find the trace on the other side. The lapel mic I bought was going to be external if I can fix this.

e-beach said:
I am not so sure that the trace in the red circle is the proper one anyway. That looks like one trace. Mic wires don't connect to themselves.

From what I can see from the picture, I think these are the traces for the mic.

I would also be wary of using heat other then an iron because you could do damage to the mic's diaphragm if it is plastic or has plastic parts.....

Ok. I'll check those traces out.

Good news! I didn't ruin my camera. It now works with the new mic although the gain could be turned down a little somehow. The camera doesn't have that feature. I soldered on to the trace on the back side. It was bigger then the one on the front. Damn these are small traces!

Back