Permanent magnet pool pump motor controller hack??

Hwy89

10 kW
Here at my winter gig I have been asked to look into fixing several Hayward echo star pool pumps. These are 3hp PM motors with sealed controllers and digital control panels. I have determined that the motors are probably good and the controllers need to be replaced. I found this YouTube video showing a hack with a Huanyang inverter, and I would appreciate some input.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=13g607b85fu

[youtube]13g607b85fu[/youtube]

Hayward controllers are $699.00 and there seems to be no information on repair. Today I will attempt to open the sealed unit and get some photos of the board to post here. I'm hoping that someone here on the forum has adapted one of these motors for an EV and might have a suggestion.
It appears that I don't know how to post a YouTube video so advice on that would also be helpful.

[moderator edit to format youtube link]

You are right, it was impossible to get past the epoxy potting on the controller. They still have several pump motors with bad controllers.
The motors have three phase wires and if you short two together you can feel strong cogging, short all three and it nearly locks up. It behaves just like a direct drive hub motor.
When I'm back there next winter I might try hooking one of them up to a sensorless bike controller and see what happens.

The video link failed.

Do you know what voltage the motor runs at?

Can you tell if it has hall sensors or a shaft encoder?

Back