la Nina rears her ugly head

Talk about anything and everything here within reason.
User avatar
The fingers
100 GW
100 GW
Posts: 6068
Joined: Mar 11, 2012 11:22 pm
Location: Desert Pacific Cali USA

Re: la Nina rears her ugly head

Post by The fingers » Feb 27, 2018 6:39 pm

La Niña Rain Gage
Nothin'/Skunked-Foggy Doggy-Play Misty-Drizzle Corn-Light Showers-Steady Soaker-Bands/Sheets-Cats & Dogs
******************************************************************************* :)
Black Schwinn High Sierra
Blue Schwinn Cruiser 5
Blue Schwinn High Plains
Black Fiore Cruzer 5: Amped Warp Drive 26" Front DD/SLA kit
http://ghostbikes.org/
http://www.rideofsilence.org/main.php
Hebrews 9:27

User avatar
The fingers
100 GW
100 GW
Posts: 6068
Joined: Mar 11, 2012 11:22 pm
Location: Desert Pacific Cali USA

Re: la Nina rears her ugly head

Post by The fingers » Feb 27, 2018 11:59 pm

Station_______________ prcp"_ elev'
HEMET VALLE VISTA_ 0.63__ 2050
Storm total as of 8pm PST. :D
Black Schwinn High Sierra
Blue Schwinn Cruiser 5
Blue Schwinn High Plains
Black Fiore Cruzer 5: Amped Warp Drive 26" Front DD/SLA kit
http://ghostbikes.org/
http://www.rideofsilence.org/main.php
Hebrews 9:27

User avatar
amberwolf
100 GW
100 GW
Posts: 25055
Joined: Aug 17, 2009 6:43 am
Location: Phoenix, AZ, USA, Earth, Sol, Local Bubble, Orion Arm, Milky Way, Local Group
Contact:

Re: la Nina rears her ugly head

Post by amberwolf » Feb 28, 2018 1:29 am

Definitely got some rain; it's been drizzling for several hours now, harder and softer by turns, more than a 1/4" so far. No real river roads or lakes yet. No thunderstorms yet either.

Just wet enough to make drivers go stupidly faster than they usually would (instead of slowing down) and take much worse risks than they normally would, running red lights, big trucks and buses accelerating into yellow lights and thru reds, instead of slowing down to prepare to stop. One bus made a left turn thru a light that had been red for a while, and almost took out oncoming cars on the crossstreet, who themselves sped up as they approached the intersection (you could hear their engines revving higher and higher, as if they were racing to reach the light).

(a different bus did the same thing a few nights ago at the other end of Metrocenter; maybe it's the same driver; can't see in there to tell).

User avatar
fechter
100 GW
100 GW
Posts: 12437
Joined: Dec 31, 2006 3:23 pm
Location: California Bay Area, USA

Re: la Nina rears her ugly head

Post by fechter » Mar 01, 2018 9:08 pm

2" since last night. Brings my season total to 12.8". This time last year: over 58".

Well, at least I won't have to water the yard for a while.
"One test is worth a thousand opinions"

User avatar
The fingers
100 GW
100 GW
Posts: 6068
Joined: Mar 11, 2012 11:22 pm
Location: Desert Pacific Cali USA

Re: la Nina rears her ugly head

Post by The fingers » Mar 02, 2018 3:00 am

https://radar.weather.gov/Conus/pacsouthwest_loop.php
Rain holding N of Point Conception then magically dissappears! :lol:
Black Schwinn High Sierra
Blue Schwinn Cruiser 5
Blue Schwinn High Plains
Black Fiore Cruzer 5: Amped Warp Drive 26" Front DD/SLA kit
http://ghostbikes.org/
http://www.rideofsilence.org/main.php
Hebrews 9:27

tomjasz
1.21 GW
1.21 GW
Posts: 3832
Joined: Mar 29, 2014 1:45 pm
Location: Out riding, MN USA
Contact:

Re: la Nina rears her ugly head

Post by tomjasz » Mar 03, 2018 12:07 am

fechter wrote:
Mar 01, 2018 9:08 pm
2" since last night. Brings my season total to 12.8". This time last year: over 58".

Well, at least I won't have to water the yard for a while.
Great news. Water and no flooding!
Thanks Justin_le we're here thanks to you. All the best to the mods for their tireless work keeping it on an even keel.

tomjasz
1.21 GW
1.21 GW
Posts: 3832
Joined: Mar 29, 2014 1:45 pm
Location: Out riding, MN USA
Contact:

Re: la Nina rears her ugly head

Post by tomjasz » Mar 03, 2018 12:08 am

53F in MN tomorrow WEIRD. But it means bicycling go indoor farmers market will be comfortable.
13" BEoLW NORMAL SNOW...
Thanks Justin_le we're here thanks to you. All the best to the mods for their tireless work keeping it on an even keel.

User avatar
The fingers
100 GW
100 GW
Posts: 6068
Joined: Mar 11, 2012 11:22 pm
Location: Desert Pacific Cali USA

Re: la Nina rears her ugly head

Post by The fingers » Mar 03, 2018 2:03 am

Right now we're at 3.81" so far this season starting October 1, 2017. :x
Black Schwinn High Sierra
Blue Schwinn Cruiser 5
Blue Schwinn High Plains
Black Fiore Cruzer 5: Amped Warp Drive 26" Front DD/SLA kit
http://ghostbikes.org/
http://www.rideofsilence.org/main.php
Hebrews 9:27

User avatar
The fingers
100 GW
100 GW
Posts: 6068
Joined: Mar 11, 2012 11:22 pm
Location: Desert Pacific Cali USA

Re: la Nina rears her ugly head

Post by The fingers » Mar 03, 2018 7:40 pm

La Niña Rain Gage
Nothin'/Skunked-Foggy Doggy-Play Misty-Drizzle Corn-Light Showers-Steady Soaker-Bands/Sheets-Cats & Dogs
***************************************************************** :)
Black Schwinn High Sierra
Blue Schwinn Cruiser 5
Blue Schwinn High Plains
Black Fiore Cruzer 5: Amped Warp Drive 26" Front DD/SLA kit
http://ghostbikes.org/
http://www.rideofsilence.org/main.php
Hebrews 9:27

User avatar
The fingers
100 GW
100 GW
Posts: 6068
Joined: Mar 11, 2012 11:22 pm
Location: Desert Pacific Cali USA

Re: la Nina rears her ugly head

Post by The fingers » Mar 04, 2018 12:28 am

48-HOUR PRECIPITATION STORM TOTALS AS OF _________________________902 PM SATURDAY_________________________
Station________________ inches _____elevation
HEMET VALLE VISTA ___0.18 ________2050
Probably a little more headed for us overnight. :)
Black Schwinn High Sierra
Blue Schwinn Cruiser 5
Blue Schwinn High Plains
Black Fiore Cruzer 5: Amped Warp Drive 26" Front DD/SLA kit
http://ghostbikes.org/
http://www.rideofsilence.org/main.php
Hebrews 9:27

User avatar
The fingers
100 GW
100 GW
Posts: 6068
Joined: Mar 11, 2012 11:22 pm
Location: Desert Pacific Cali USA

Re: la Nina rears her ugly head

Post by The fingers » Mar 04, 2018 9:28 am

STATION_______________ PRECIP(IN) ______________ELEVATION(FT)
HEMET VALLE VISTA _____0.28_______________________ 2050
Forecast: sunny with highs today near 60°f then mid to upper 70s for the rest of the week. :)
http://www.goes.noaa.gov/dml/west/fd/rbtop.html
Black Schwinn High Sierra
Blue Schwinn Cruiser 5
Blue Schwinn High Plains
Black Fiore Cruzer 5: Amped Warp Drive 26" Front DD/SLA kit
http://ghostbikes.org/
http://www.rideofsilence.org/main.php
Hebrews 9:27

User avatar
The fingers
100 GW
100 GW
Posts: 6068
Joined: Mar 11, 2012 11:22 pm
Location: Desert Pacific Cali USA

Re: la Nina rears her ugly head

Post by The fingers » Mar 04, 2018 9:21 pm

Saturday
A slight chance of rain. Patchy fog. Otherwise, partly sunny, with a high near 68.
Saturday Night
A slight chance of rain. Mostly cloudy, with a low around 46.
Sunday
A slight chance of rain. Partly sunny, with a high near 70.
Black Schwinn High Sierra
Blue Schwinn Cruiser 5
Blue Schwinn High Plains
Black Fiore Cruzer 5: Amped Warp Drive 26" Front DD/SLA kit
http://ghostbikes.org/
http://www.rideofsilence.org/main.php
Hebrews 9:27

User avatar
The fingers
100 GW
100 GW
Posts: 6068
Joined: Mar 11, 2012 11:22 pm
Location: Desert Pacific Cali USA

Re: la Nina rears her ugly head

Post by The fingers » Mar 06, 2018 1:52 pm

Saturday
A chance of rain after 10am. Patchy fog before 10am. Otherwise, mostly cloudy, with a high near 70.
Saturday night
A chance of rain. Mostly cloudy, with a low around 50.
Sunday
A chance of rain. Mostly cloudy, with a high near 66.
Sunday Night
A chance of rain. Mostly cloudy, with a low around 45.
Monday
A chance of rain. Partly sunny, with a high near 69.
Black Schwinn High Sierra
Blue Schwinn Cruiser 5
Blue Schwinn High Plains
Black Fiore Cruzer 5: Amped Warp Drive 26" Front DD/SLA kit
http://ghostbikes.org/
http://www.rideofsilence.org/main.php
Hebrews 9:27

User avatar
fechter
100 GW
100 GW
Posts: 12437
Joined: Dec 31, 2006 3:23 pm
Location: California Bay Area, USA

Re: la Nina rears her ugly head

Post by fechter » Mar 06, 2018 3:19 pm

Here's the official map from last week:
La Niña remains in place, but a wave of warm water spreading eastward beneath the surface is a sign of weakening. The dryness across the southern U.S. is consistent with average La Niña conditions. There is a 55% chance that conditions will return to neutral by the March-May season. The next update will be on March 8.
http://www.cpc.ncep.noaa.gov/products/a ... disc.shtml
20180227_usdm.jpg
20180227_usdm.jpg (126.53 KiB) Viewed 432 times
"One test is worth a thousand opinions"

User avatar
The fingers
100 GW
100 GW
Posts: 6068
Joined: Mar 11, 2012 11:22 pm
Location: Desert Pacific Cali USA

Re: la Nina rears her ugly head

Post by The fingers » Mar 07, 2018 9:40 pm

With a satellite view like this, we get nothing; maybe just virga. :x
http://www.ssd.noaa.gov/goes/west/wfo/s ... op-ft.html
Black Schwinn High Sierra
Blue Schwinn Cruiser 5
Blue Schwinn High Plains
Black Fiore Cruzer 5: Amped Warp Drive 26" Front DD/SLA kit
http://ghostbikes.org/
http://www.rideofsilence.org/main.php
Hebrews 9:27

User avatar
fechter
100 GW
100 GW
Posts: 12437
Joined: Dec 31, 2006 3:23 pm
Location: California Bay Area, USA

Re: la Nina rears her ugly head

Post by fechter » Mar 08, 2018 9:44 am

Got just enough to barely wet the ground last night. They predict chances of rain every day for the next week or so, but not much in the way of totals. At least it has warmed up enough that I don't have ice on the car in the morning.
"One test is worth a thousand opinions"

User avatar
The fingers
100 GW
100 GW
Posts: 6068
Joined: Mar 11, 2012 11:22 pm
Location: Desert Pacific Cali USA

Re: la Nina rears her ugly head

Post by The fingers » Mar 08, 2018 2:02 pm

Saturday
A 50 percent chance of rain. Cloudy, with a high near 65. Calm wind becoming west around 5 mph in the afternoon.
Saturday Night
A 50 percent chance of rain. Cloudy, with a low around 47.
Sunday
A 50 percent chance of rain. Mostly sunny, with a high near 67.
Sunday night
Partly cloudy, with a low around 46.
Monday
Mostly sunny, with a high near 71.
Monday Night
Partly cloudy, with a low around 46.
Tuesday
Mostly sunny, with a high near 70.
Tuesday Night
A slight chance of showers. Patchy fog. Otherwise, mostly cloudy, with a low around 45.
Wednesday
A slight chance of showers. Patchy fog. Otherwise, partly sunny, with a high near 65.
Black Schwinn High Sierra
Blue Schwinn Cruiser 5
Blue Schwinn High Plains
Black Fiore Cruzer 5: Amped Warp Drive 26" Front DD/SLA kit
http://ghostbikes.org/
http://www.rideofsilence.org/main.php
Hebrews 9:27

User avatar
The fingers
100 GW
100 GW
Posts: 6068
Joined: Mar 11, 2012 11:22 pm
Location: Desert Pacific Cali USA

Re: la Nina rears her ugly head

Post by The fingers » Mar 09, 2018 2:46 pm

Pineapple Express poised to strike like a cobra spreading it's hood.
http://www.goes.noaa.gov/dml/west/fd/rbtop.html
Weather summary shows promise for a March Miracle.
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=t0CQUSkgd ... e=youtu.be
Black Schwinn High Sierra
Blue Schwinn Cruiser 5
Blue Schwinn High Plains
Black Fiore Cruzer 5: Amped Warp Drive 26" Front DD/SLA kit
http://ghostbikes.org/
http://www.rideofsilence.org/main.php
Hebrews 9:27

User avatar
fechter
100 GW
100 GW
Posts: 12437
Joined: Dec 31, 2006 3:23 pm
Location: California Bay Area, USA

Re: la Nina rears her ugly head

Post by fechter » Mar 09, 2018 3:05 pm

0.1" here. I can tell the pineapple express is aimed my way because I haven't had ice on the car for a few days.

So far this season, about 1/5 of what we got last year.
"One test is worth a thousand opinions"

User avatar
amberwolf
100 GW
100 GW
Posts: 25055
Joined: Aug 17, 2009 6:43 am
Location: Phoenix, AZ, USA, Earth, Sol, Local Bubble, Orion Arm, Milky Way, Local Group
Contact:

Re: la Nina rears her ugly head

Post by amberwolf » Mar 09, 2018 3:57 pm

It's been significantly warmer on average this winter; most of my mulberry trees kept at least some of their leaves. The two largest nearest the house kept a lot of the south-facing leaves of lower branches. That hasn't happened before that I can remember--they always lose all their leaves, and sometimes even teh top foot or two of some branches die from frostbite, but it didnt' freeze at all this year.

Dropped below freezing by dawn a few days here and there, but not for long enough to do anything more than occasional patches of frost on stuff at teh ground where dew settled, and mostly not even that.

None of my lantana leaves turned dark or purple/black, so none of it got frostbite (and it's very sensitive to that).

If I could have afforded the water, it's been warm enough to have kept watering like summer and have kept growing stuff thru the winter. Not enough significant rain to do it, though. Now it's getting warm enough I have to water the small / new stuff so it'll grow rather than dry out and die off. (I have a bunch of little mulberry sproutlings I transplanted last fall and expected all to die, but so far most have done fine, and even kept their leaves thru winter, and are now sprouting up quickly. One in the backyard has doubled it's short height in just the last few days!

User avatar
The fingers
100 GW
100 GW
Posts: 6068
Joined: Mar 11, 2012 11:22 pm
Location: Desert Pacific Cali USA

Re: la Nina rears her ugly head

Post by The fingers » Mar 10, 2018 12:34 pm

La Niña Rain Gage
Nothin'/Skunked-Foggy Doggy-Play Misty-Drizzle Corn-Light Showers-Steady Soaker-Bands/Sheets-Cats & Dogs
************************************************************************************** :)
Some nice big drops out there but I can't hear them falling while inside. Snow level is above 8,000 ft. Next weeks storm is supposed to be bigger and colder.
Black Schwinn High Sierra
Blue Schwinn Cruiser 5
Blue Schwinn High Plains
Black Fiore Cruzer 5: Amped Warp Drive 26" Front DD/SLA kit
http://ghostbikes.org/
http://www.rideofsilence.org/main.php
Hebrews 9:27

User avatar
amberwolf
100 GW
100 GW
Posts: 25055
Joined: Aug 17, 2009 6:43 am
Location: Phoenix, AZ, USA, Earth, Sol, Local Bubble, Orion Arm, Milky Way, Local Group
Contact:

Re: la Nina rears her ugly head

Post by amberwolf » Mar 10, 2018 2:32 pm

Suddenly the forecast changed last night from being sunny for foreseeable future, to 30% chance this afternoon, 50-70% chance tonight, and 20-30% chance tomorrow.

It's cloudy out there, but it doesn't feel like rain (my joints usually warn me).

User avatar
The fingers
100 GW
100 GW
Posts: 6068
Joined: Mar 11, 2012 11:22 pm
Location: Desert Pacific Cali USA

Re: la Nina rears her ugly head

Post by The fingers » Mar 10, 2018 2:57 pm

Total as of 10am :)
RIVERSIDE COUNTY VALLEYS-THE INLAND EMPIRE
STATION PRECIP(IN) ELEVATION(FT)
HEMET VALLE VISTA 0.05 2050
Black Schwinn High Sierra
Blue Schwinn Cruiser 5
Blue Schwinn High Plains
Black Fiore Cruzer 5: Amped Warp Drive 26" Front DD/SLA kit
http://ghostbikes.org/
http://www.rideofsilence.org/main.php
Hebrews 9:27

User avatar
The fingers
100 GW
100 GW
Posts: 6068
Joined: Mar 11, 2012 11:22 pm
Location: Desert Pacific Cali USA

Re: la Nina rears her ugly head

Post by The fingers » Mar 11, 2018 5:08 pm

Total for the 2 day storm: 1.15 inches. :D
Black Schwinn High Sierra
Blue Schwinn Cruiser 5
Blue Schwinn High Plains
Black Fiore Cruzer 5: Amped Warp Drive 26" Front DD/SLA kit
http://ghostbikes.org/
http://www.rideofsilence.org/main.php
Hebrews 9:27

User avatar
fechter
100 GW
100 GW
Posts: 12437
Joined: Dec 31, 2006 3:23 pm
Location: California Bay Area, USA

Re: la Nina rears her ugly head

Post by fechter » Mar 11, 2018 8:05 pm

72 and sunny today. Good day for a ride.
Rain is supposed to come back tomorrow and for the rest of the week.
"One test is worth a thousand opinions"

Post Reply