Need advice on Dremel tools/kits, please. Thanks

MikeFairbanks

100 kW
I have a technology/engineering class, and in order to maximize resources and give all my students (close to 150) the opportunity to design and fabricate their ideas, we have to work with miniature models, so-to-speak. This is a middle school class, so much of what I teach is theory, computer aided design, some graphic design (which takes zero materials), and some audio engineering (which also takes zero materials. We have the hardware and software).

It's the fabrication that's killing me. Materials are consumable (wood, foam, plastics, wire, glues, screws, etc.), so the students are expected to work on their models on a very small scale (this isn't a full shop, just a regular classroom).

Some of the things I'll be getting are a 3D printer (after the powers that be approve my darn budget) and a Nomad 883 Pro (desktop CNC machine).

I have a lot of small hand tools, but I want to go out and get some Dremel type tools. Cordless is preferable because I don't have a lot of electrical outlets (old building). Just one on each of the four walls. And I have a big center island of tables that accommodate about twelve students, and there isn't a way to run power to that center island (at least not efficiently and safely). This is why cordless is helpful (though not 100% mandatory. I can have a combination of corded and cordless).

These are 11-14 year olds who will operate the Dremels. They need to be safe and durable.

Any suggestions? I've never used one before.

Thanks

I’ve had a couple Dremel rotary tools over the years. One battery powered (Nickel IIRC?) and it was very weak. Basically quit trying to use it. They might be better now if Lithium powered?

But, ‘found a flexible drive unit at garage sale for cheap. Flexible drive hangs the motor away from the tool piece and operates via a foot treadle. My favorite rotary tool ever.

I’m not even sure it’s Dremel brand? But, it’s the best arrangement for these type power tools, IMO.

Safety and 14yr olds? Got nothing for you there, sorry....

Thanks for the tips.

I think I'll do some rearranging of benches so that I can get corded Dremels. They seem to offer more for the money (power, durability, etc.), and by them being corded there is less chance kids will drop them on the floor.

Some of them are not responsible at all. I just bought a really nice cordless drill (a small one with a quality lithium battery, variable speed) for drilling small pieces of wood, and within two days a bit was lost (and likely swept up and tossed by custodians-just doing their job).

Now I'm a little irked at them. I'm also missing two small jeweler screwdrivers.

Whenever that kind of nonsense happens I shut down Inventors Lab until the problem is solved. Very frustrating. I need to get better at inventory and watching which kids need to have privileges revoked.

Thanks for the tips.

I think I'll do some rearranging of benches so that I can get corded Dremel.

Before you make the Dremel purchase check out the Milwaukee "Dremel like" cordless M12 lithium rotary tool.

No cord pulling on you. I use this tool way more than the Dremel. It is a bit heavier than a dremel so small people may have difficulty with keeping it steady.

IMHO before buying any tool you must give it some serious thought,battery operated tools are very convenient BUT there is a tradeoff as with everything in life. I personally like corded tools for several reasons, there are times when a tool isn't used for months and even sometimes years, then to find the charger or mabe the batteries are shot or there is insufficient power for the job, with a power chord it gives you everything but flexibility. If you intend to buy a battery operated tool also keep in mind shop or storage area temps. as my shop gets to about 115 deg. in the summer and that temp will kill any battery.

Back