USA Highway deaths jump

LockH

1 PW
Ummm.. Started out in Victoria BC Canada, then sta
Yes that is so true dan, but they too tend to take more risks then a vehicle in some respects.
Blowing stop signs and red lights comes to mind.

Ive noticed alot of new drivers are very dangerous or im just becoming an old man :wink: .

Texting is one of the deadliest addictions ever unleashed on mankind. Class action lawsuit against Apple would be in order.

fechter said:
Texting is one of the deadliest addictions ever unleashed on mankind. Class action lawsuit against Apple would be in order.

Just make them replace the outrageously faulty guidance system in the car with something more reliable. Then people can text to their heart's content.

Oh wait-- an Apple self-driving car would only let you go to places Apple wants you to go to.

I'm firmly in the camp of the speaker-phone. I know legally it is still considered "distracted driving", but my eyes are on the road and my hands are on the wheel. For some reason, most people (including me) don't like the "hands free" ear-jack. Its inconvenient, and also a passing officer can see it.

I only changed jobs away from driving a dump truck/18-wheeler a few years ago, and from my perch in the truck seat I saw many things going on in passenger cars. It was annoying to see how many police officers were texting or interacting with the mounted laptop computer. Civilians? Please. Nobody randomly looks at their crotch and smiles...you are texting. The car next to you can't see it, but I did.

Texting is a dangerous addiction. Even when I'm talking, I don't talk at interesections

What is defined as distracted driving?
Drinking, eating, smoking, changing the dial on the radio, changing the dials for air.
I drive with one arm on the steering wheel all the time, usually my other hand is resting on the door.

I have commuted 28 mi twice a day 5 times a week for 15 yrs and can safely say I have seen everything, from drivers reading the newspaper to the idiot who puts his laptop on the steering wheel,women who do all their makeup while tooling at 80 mph,BUT the worst was a woman that passed me at 80 mph+ when she got in front of me she then started putting eyedrops in her eyes. On a lighter side I read in today's local paper 10/16/16 that the Gov. expects motorcycle and bicycle accidents to diminish with the advent of driverless cars, the idiots will still be texting etc. but the car will be doing all the driving. Nick R.

fechter said:
This is what's weird: texting pre-dates Apple's iPhone. Smartphones should have reduced the amount of texting, but instead, most just kept on texting but with better graphics.

Why don't people use voice messaging, or voice-to-text messaging, or a combination? We have the technology, why don't people use it?

I noticed the most distracted driving by commuters on their way to/from work.

On our local (or national) news segment today, a little girl almost got smoked by a frocking car. I couldn't tell by the video if the bus had their stop sign out or lights flashing, but isnt the law you must stop if the bus' lights are on. Not too sure what city it was in, just a viral vid that made it to the news, is all. The car was doing easily 45kph, and the girl ran in front on the car trying to catch up to her friends. I couldnt tell if the car stopped, but the girl was sure stunned. Those people deserve to lose their licenses and have harsher sentences then DUI'ers. But will never happen, thats a sad sad day.

I saw a guy holding his phone with one hand and gesticulating with the other hand while driving. No hands on the wheel. Plus the person he was talking to obviously won't see his gesticulations. Such an idiot. But texting annoys me more. It's such an inefficient mode of communication from a user standpoint. Great for the infrastructure, since text messages take only a small fraction of the bandwidth that a voice message takes, but the sum of all wasted human time is immense.

It's even getting annoying at work after surviving the drive in. I work in a large hospital and spend a lot of time walking between areas. I'm generally in a hurry to go somewhere when I'm walking. But there are hoards of "Cell Phone Zombies" meandering randomly down the hallways, blocking anyone from passing and moving at a snail's pace, while occasionally bouncing of the wall. There's probably a pile of them at the bottom of the stairwell. I just wish it was legal to use a shotgun to blow the phone out of their hands or rig the elevator doors to open when there is no car there. Shopping malls are the same way, but at least the zombies are less dangerous to other people.

Hands on the steering wheel used to be at 10 till 2. Now they recommend 4:20 so the airbag doesn't blow them off the wheel causing a loss of directional control. :roll:
............................................ ...............................................:mrgreen:...............................................................................................................

DAND214 said:
Many text while riding, too many, Bikes that is.
Dan

Hehe... Yah, but they're not in the process of operating (large, heavy, fast... and expensive) weapons of mass destruction.
:wink:

Back