Baltimore Electric Bike Share Program

footloose

10 kW
Thumbs up to Baltimore! She surprised me. I grew up near here, and frankly never associated Baltimore with much beyond bad politicians (remember Spiro Agnew?) and good crab cakes. But I'm here right now on business. When I was walking around yesterday, saw some of those 'ride share' bikes that are starting to show up in some cities and thought that was nice. When I looked closer I saw: they were electric!

Well good for you Baltimore! And good for your mayor for making it happen.

http://baltimore.cbslocal.com/2016/10/28/baltimore-bike-share-launches-today/

Baltimore Bike Share.JPG

Looks good, I like the frame geometry of those bikes. Very simplistic.
What is the price?
When I was in Zurich I rented a reg. bike, same with Rome. But seeing the city with electric would be amazing.
Not sure if Balitmore is worth visiting.
But that frame geometry would lend itself well to a "folding" bicycle setup. I was thinking telescoping pipe, but a hinge/bolt for the rear wheel is great. I need to think this over and get on it. It sucks that our transit trains do not allow bicycles on during rush hour.

$2 per trip (45 minutes), $15 for monthly pass.
I didn't take time to look at bikes close enough to get much detail on construction other than mid-motor, ped-elec, drum brakes front and rear, looked pretty sturdy. To be honest, I was trying to get back to my hotel before full dark -- Baltimore street crime rate is kind of high -- higher than 96% of U.S. cities. Not really a vacation destination kind of place. But the Inner Harbor area is nice, with a couple beautiful old sailing ships. And the crab cakes are still terrific!

I looked up Spiro Agnew to see if he was really as bad as I remembered. Yes, he was.

Thats a great price, I'd totally do that. Thats half the price of my gym membership, and 1/3 the price of my monthly transit pass.

A lot of places are beautiful, yet the crime rates are high. Mexico comes to mind, and I am thinking Wastings & Pain in Vancouver, by Grin's new digs.

"Homeless veterans service Baltimore's new bike-share program":
http://www.baltimoresun.com/news/ma...-md-ci-veterans-bikeshare-20161110-story.html

Includes:
They struck up a conversation with Alex Kukich, 30, of Locust Point, as he passed by at McHenry Row. A minute later, Kukich was on one of the Pedelec bikes, riding it around the block and up through a parking garage to try it out.

"It's awesome," said Kukich, who works at the video advertising firm Videology. "It's fun, it's clean, it's different."

:mrgreen:

TWO ebike store owners local to me have both told me their "Number One Selling Tool" goes something like "Wanna try a ride?"

Hehe

wlogo.png

(They say:)
UMB is The Founding Campus of the University System of Maryland.

"Bike Share Offers UMB Healthy Transit Options":
http://www.umaryland.edu/news/archi...-share-offers-umb-healthy-transit-options.php

Representatives of the city’s program, Baltimore Bike Share, and its operator held a “lunch-and learn” session on Nov. 21 at the University of Maryland BioPark, which is the site of one of several stations accessible to students, faculty and staff of the University of Maryland, Baltimore (UMB).

"A 16-port bike docking station has been installed..."

masthead-greatergreaterwashington.org.png

"Baltimore just got bikeshare, and lots of its bikes are electric":
http://greatergreaterwashington.org...bikeshare-and-lots-of-its-bikes-are-electric/

"Forty percent of the fleet is made up of electric bikes..."

Electric bikes are a hallmark of the system
Beyond being new, Bmorebikeshare stands out because it has North America's largest fleet of bikes with an electric motor

I tested the electric bikes on an uphill climb on the newly created Maryland Avenue protected bikeway, and it was amazing how helpful pedelec was. The extra giddy up made for a ton of fun whether on a hill or flat land.

:mrgreen:

This spring, the system is set to grow to 50 stations with 500 bikes. And since many of the new stations will be uphill from where stations are concentrated now, the pedelecs will be in even more demand.

Is expanding the pedelec fleet actually doable?

Liz Cornish, Executive Director of Bikemore, Baltimore's bicycling infrastructure and policy advocacy organization, said the pedal-assist bikes cost $1300 compared to $1000 for the regular bikes.

If the bikeshare expanded by another 500 bikes and they were 100% electric-assist, it would only be $150,000 more than an all regular bike purchase. This is not much money if the world of transportation expenditures.

Of course, bikes with pedelec may cost more to fix and maintain. But in a hilly city like Baltimore, splurging on the electric bikes to tilt the percentages of the fleet toward the pedelec bikes will likely make sense.

The best step forward would be for Bewegen to track which bikes are being used in order to get data on user-preference. If my hunch is true—that more people in Baltimore will travel to more places by bikeshare thanks to the new pedelec bikes—it'd be great to find a way to make sure that's what's added to the system.

As usual, [C]omments there... amusing. :)

Oooops... Baltimore to suspend city bike-share program for one month, faulting rash of thefts: Report:
http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2017/sep/14/baltimore-to-suspend-city-bike-share-program-for-o/

Includes:
Because of the bikes’ GPS tracker, Baltimore authorities have been able to track down and return many of the stolen bikes, but damage sustained when they’ve been forcibly removed from docking stations has resulted in a repair backlog, The Sun reported.

"track down and return many"? Left abandoned? Takers caught? Anybuddy?

Sorry to hear it. Good example of the old adage "a few bad apples can spoil the barrel". I love the idea behind the program, but a few jerks can make it impractical. Hope the city can find a solution.

Back