Airbus CEO sees 'flying car'

Talk about anything and everything here within reason.
LockH   100 GW

100 GW
Location: Ummm.. Started out in Victoria BC Canada, then started to move around... Oh oh.

Airbus CEO sees 'flying car'

Post by LockH » Jan 17 2017 9:42am

Airbus CEO sees 'flying car' prototype ready by end of year:
http://www.reuters.com/article/us-airbu ... SKBN1501DM

Starts off:
Airbus Group plans to test a prototype for a self-piloted flying car as a way of avoiding gridlock on city roads by the end of the year, the aerospace group's chief executive said on Monday.

Airbus last year formed a division called Urban Air Mobility that is exploring concepts such as a vehicle to transport individuals or a helicopter-style vehicle that can carry multiple riders. The aim would be for people to book the vehicle using an app, similar to car-sharing schemes.
Quote CEO "We are in an experimentation phase..."

:mrgreen:
ES changed my life (for the waaaaay better).

Eff. June, 2014 Phoenix Ebike Promotions

(Current ride? High speed lawn chair.)
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=57408

Phoenix Ebike Promotions conversion kit (work in progress. More drink holders, etc etc)
viewtopic.php?f=15&t=60564

Joined yer local chapter of EA yet?
(Ebikers Anonymous - Where we're all miserable failures, but the parties are hilarious...)

Hillhater   100 GW

100 GW

Re: Airbus CEO sees 'flying car'

Post by Hillhater » Jan 23 2017 4:28pm

These "drone" type autonamous personal transport systems, using a sort of Uber type ownership/ loan it out business plan,...does seem an ideal solution to the worsening urban transport situation.
The technology is almost there.... (mainly needs better battery capacity/ weight ).. to make it practical
Being automomous, you could own/part own a unit, but also let it earn some income for you as a "taxi" when you were not needing it.
...But i suspect the authorities will make it too expensive to operate !
This forum owes its existence to Justin of ebikes.ca

LockH   100 GW

100 GW
Location: Ummm.. Started out in Victoria BC Canada, then started to move around... Oh oh.

Post by LockH » Feb 07 2017 5:04pm

Speaking of "Uber type ownership"... Uber gets serious about flying cars:
http://seekingalpha.com/news/3240965-ub ... lying-cars
Stepping up its efforts to make flying cars a reality, UBER has hired leading NASA engineer Mark Moore to spearhead its research into airborne vehicles.
ES changed my life (for the waaaaay better).

Eff. June, 2014 Phoenix Ebike Promotions

(Current ride? High speed lawn chair.)
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=57408

Phoenix Ebike Promotions conversion kit (work in progress. More drink holders, etc etc)
viewtopic.php?f=15&t=60564

Joined yer local chapter of EA yet?
(Ebikers Anonymous - Where we're all miserable failures, but the parties are hilarious...)

Chalo   100 GW

100 GW

Post by Chalo » Feb 07 2017 6:24pm

Hillhater wrote:...But i suspect the authorities will make it too expensive to operate !
I certainly hope so. Arrogant jackasses in cars have already ruined our cities for everyone. Who knows how much worse it would get when they make even more noise pollution and fall out of the sky without warning? I see only one possible upside to flying cars-- which would be substantially thinning the herd of wealthy a-holes.
This is to express my gratitude to Justin of Grin Technologies for his extraordinary measures to save this forum for the benefit of all.

Hillhater   100 GW

100 GW

Post by Hillhater » Feb 07 2017 9:16pm

^^^..at least they would be freeing up the roads for us to use !
...But i have to agree about the noise polution...i have a huge and increasing hatred of helicopter noise ...(rotor noise not engine sounds) ..especially over urban areas.
This forum owes its existence to Justin of ebikes.ca

deronmoped   10 kW

10 kW

Post by deronmoped » Feb 27 2017 10:03pm

At CES this year, there was a drone that could carry one person on display. It's a actual flying drone. No details on endurance or anything. It has a pod in the center of four arms with eight motors and props.

deronmoped   10 kW

10 kW

Post by deronmoped » Feb 27 2017 10:57pm