Cook Pots

Dauntless

100 TW
So my Ma moved away while i was still in college, not taking along certain things like the kitchenware that was older than me. But some of it outlasted the new stuff I bought. Now that pretty well all of it has leaked on the stove, etc., it's time for some SERIOUS replacements this time.

http://www1.macys.com/shop/product/tools-of-the-trade-stainless-steel-13-pc.-cookware-set-only-at-macys?ID=2912733&pla_country=US&CAGPSPN=pla&CAWELAID=120156340008426836&CAAGID=17584299995&CATCI=pla-56128534817&catargetid=120156340002723796&cadevice=c&lsft=cm_mmc:Google_Seasonal-_-All%20Products%20-%20GS_All%20Products-_-53151159035-_-pg105455_c_kclickid_27298ce7-15ed-4332-a933-e1df33eac35f,trackingid:489x105455&cm_mmc=Google_Seasonal-_-All+Products+-+GS_All+Products-_-53151159035-_-pg105455_c_kclickid_27298ce7-15ed-4332-a933-e1df33eac35f&trackingid=489x105455&pdata=storeid%3D%2Cproduct_id%3D706256572239USA&&gclid=CJOCk8y819ECFZCLaQodgqkN0A

I like the look of the Tools of the Trade at Macy's. But what do I know about pots and pans? Anybody have some they really like? What would be good would be the stuff that impresses the chicks, right?

3717873_fpx.tif

I got one of those big wok like non stick deals what are great, use it for burgers or bacon. To impress da puss, Kitchaid all the way.

I find mine a piece at a time at Goodwill; I look for the stainless steel stuff that still has flat bottoms. Most of the good stuff I find is old, and mostly made in usa.

I don't get coated stuff, just the bare metal. If it has a coating it's usually damaged or will get that way quickly. If I find a piece that I like but is coated, I'll remove the coating with a (powered) wire brush and thorough cleaning (because the coating is already always damaged on those).

For pots,, I definitely look for stainless steel with the aluminum or copper bottom on them on the outside. This bottom makes them work better on a glass top electric stove. Gas stove does not require any special bottom. Looks like your choice is this type.

Fry pans,, well,, Teflon has been around all my life, and along with my exposure to ptfe, benzene, tolulene, laquer thinners, lead, and the ball of mercury I played with as a child,,, I am just not going to worry about it. So my fry pans are Teflon coated, but restaurant grade pans. I just like eggs to flip easy without breaking the yolk. Back when, I had the nice cast iron fry pans, but I tired of keeping them properly seasoned. Same for porcelain coated fry pans I had then,, they required seasoning to work right. No kids in my house, btw.

I have not tried the new gen pans, you see ads for on tv. The copper color ones. IMO,, they look like Teflon to me, just a new, not yet illegal formula. The most recently bought "Teflon" fry pan is obviously different type of Teflon from the previous ones. I generally buy a new Teflon fry pan annually, and rotate out a 3 year old one. No point in old Teflon that does not work anymore.

What Amberwolf and Dogman said but specific brand recommendation: Revere Ware '1801' stainless steel with copper bottoms, made in Clinton Illinois between about 1938 - 1965. Terrific stuff. After around 1965 same brand was cheapened... less metal... still good but no longer great after that. See one in second hand store, get it.

A friends mother died a while ago. She had a good and long life but it was time. The family gave me her Revere Ware saucepans! Hope I've got another twenty years in me, but who knows... I should probably start considering who to leave those pots to when l hang up the apron. They last.

+1 for SS with copper or cast Al bottoms that spread the heat evenly for better cooking.
As for fry pans, we have been using "Scanpan" teflon pans for years, which ave an unconditional lifetime warranty.
After a few years the "non stick" may start to weaken (but never peel off), but they will replace the pan FOC for a new one, post paid, no questions, providing you return the old one, .......great product that gets used daily.

Dauntless said:
What would be good would be the stuff that impresses the chicks, right?

PS, forgot to mention. Stainless pots with copper bottoms, any fine lady who comes over for dinner is going to be thinking this guy may be an ebike weirdo but he sure knows his way around the kitchen. Sautee up something simple but good, nothing showy, maybe olive oil with a touch of garlic, some mushrooms, dried Roma tomatoes and a pinch of hot pepper. Enjoy the evening! Bonus tip: be sure you have chocolate sauce and whipped cream in the house, with any luck the two of you may need supplies for a late night dessert course. How you prepare that is up to you.

Dauntless said:
So my Ma moved away while i was still in college, not taking along certain things like the kitchenware that was older than me. But some of it outlasted the new stuff I bought. Now that pretty well all of it has leaked on the stove, etc.,

so there's a family history of crack pots.

tragic.

Lately, I've been replacing the aging cookware in my apartment with cast iron. It will last a lifetime, isn't made with unpronounceable materials, increases your iron intake (which most people are lacking), easy to use and clean, allows the use of metal untensils, and makes some damn good food.

In 2016, I purchased a 10" skillet, a wok and griddle pan all in cast iron. So now, we only have cast iron pans (mostly lodge brand), farberware 18/10 stainless pots and sauce pans (copper core), and 1 non-stick pan (that doesn't get used anymore).

If you want to find the best deal, go on http://www.slickdeals.net and search. If you don't find a good deal immediately, create a deal alert that will send you emails when a new matching deal comes up

Cast iron pans can be great if you know how to care for them. Most people don't, or like me tired of it.

Nothing worse though, than a cheapo, thin aluminum Teflon fry pan. Whatever you choose get the professional grade stuff. No ginsu knives for me either, I have a bunch of good chefs knifes, bought from a restaurant supply.

Yeah, impress that girl by cooking her some good healthy food using some good tools. It's a good start, and also a good way to keep her if she's a keeper. Much better than zapping some wings or other junk food.

"impresses the chicks" Forget pots and pans. Induction cooking is what ya need. Heats faster. Might need special pots? Test with a magnet? Cooking with magnets. This is like science class.
Cookware must be compatible with induction heating; in most models, only ferrous metal can be heated. Cookware usually have a flat bottom since the magnetic field drops rapidly with distance from the surface. (Special and costly wok-shaped tops are available for use with round-bottom woks.) Induction disks are metal plates that are heated by induction and heat non-ferrous pots by thermal contact, but these are much less efficient than ferrous cooking vessels.

Induction compatible cookware for an induction cooking surface can nearly always be used on other stoves. Some cookware or packaging is marked with symbols to indicate compatibility with induction, gas, or electric heat. Induction cooking surfaces work well with any pans with a high ferrous metal content at the base. Cast iron pans and any black metal or iron pans will work on an induction cooking surface. Stainless steel pans will work on an induction cooking surface if the base of the pan is a magnetic grade of stainless steel. If a magnet sticks well to the sole of the pan, it will work on an induction cooking surface. An "all-metal" cooker will work with non-ferrous cookware, but available models are limited.

Aluminum or copper alone does not work on an induction stove because of the materials’ magnetic and electrical properties.[21] Aluminum and copper cookware are more conductive than steel, but the skin depth in these materials is larger since they are non-magnetic. The current flows in a thicker layer in the metal, encounters less resistance and so produces less heat. The induction cooker will not work efficiently with such pots. However, aluminium and copper are desirable in cookware, since they conduct heat better. Because of this 'tri-ply' pans often have an induction-compatible skin of stainless steel containing a layer of thermally conductive aluminum.

For frying, a pan with a base that is a good heat conductor is needed to spread the heat quickly and evenly. The sole of the pan will be either a steel plate pressed into the aluminum, or a layer of stainless steel over the aluminum. The high thermal conductivity of aluminum pans makes the temperature more uniform across the pan. Stainless frying pans with an aluminum base will not have the same temperature at their sides as an aluminum sided pan will have. Cast iron frying pans work well with induction cooking surfaces but the material is not as good a thermal conductor as aluminum.

When boiling water, the circulating water spreads the heat and prevents hot spots. For products such as sauces, it is important that at least the base of the pan incorporates a good heat conducting material to spread the heat evenly. For delicate products such as thick sauces, a pan with aluminum throughout is better, since the heat flows up the sides through the aluminum, allowing the cook to heat the sauce rapidly but evenly.
Aluminum foil in a square Pyrex dish of water, with a tear where the foil has melted
Household foil is much thinner than the skin depth in aluminum at the frequencies used by an induction cooker. Here the foil has melted where it was exposed to the air after steam formed under it. Cooking surface manufacturers prohibit the use of aluminum foil in contact with an induction cooking surface.

The heat that can be produced in a pot is a function of the surface resistance. A higher surface resistance produces more heat for similar currents. This is a “figure of merit” that can be used to rank the suitability of a material for induction heating. The surface resistance in a thick metal conductor is proportional to the resistivity divided by the skin depth. Where the thickness is less than the skin depth, the actual thickness can be used to calculate surface resistance.[21] Some common materials are listed in this table.
Skin depth at 24 kHz[21] Material Resistivity
(10−6 ohm-inches) Relative
permeability Skin depth,
inches (mm) Surface resistance,
10−3 ohms/square
(thick material) Surface resistance,
relative to copper
Carbon steel 1010 9 200 0.004 (0.10) 2.25 56.25
Stainless steel 432 24.5 200 0.007 (0.18) 3.5 87.5
Stainless steel 304 29 1 0.112 (2.8) 0.26 6.5
Aluminum 1.12 1 0.022 (0.56) 0.051 1.28
Copper 0.68 1 0.017 (0.43) 0.04 1
TABLE GOT ALL BUNGLED UP WITH COPY AND PASTE. SORRY ABOUT THAT.
To get the same surface resistance as with carbon steel would require the metal to be thinner than is practical for a cooking vessel; at 24 kHz a copper vessel bottom would need to be 1/56th the skin depth of carbon steel. Since the skin depth is inversely proportional to the square root of the frequency, this suggests that much higher frequencies (say, several megahertz) would be required to obtain equivalent heating in a copper pot as in an iron pot at 24 kHz. Such high frequencies are not feasible with inexpensive power semiconductors; in 1973 the silicon-controlled rectifiers used were limited to no more than 40 kHz.[21] Even a thin layer of copper on the bottom of a steel cooking vessel will shield the steel from the magnetic field and make it unusable for an induction top.[21] Some additional heat is created by hysteresis losses in the pot due to its ferromagnetic nature, but this creates less than ten percent of the total heat generated.[22]

Stainless steel with a copper bottom is king for all cooking. It also impresses the ladies. :mrgreen: Next best is stainless steel with an aluminum bottom. Third best are the cast iron bottom pots designed for inductive cooking. I prefer vintage cookware to new, even if it costs more. the older stuff like the Revere line mentioned above is usually heavier duty, better made. new pots are semi-disposable, and anything with a coating i toss after a year or two.

Cast iron sauce pans, fry pans, skillets, and woks are awesome, but they are more of a lifestyle than a cooking choice. I love them, but it takes years to get one properly seasoned, and the seasoning can be ruined in a single washing or miss use. The secret to a world class grilled cheese sandwich is using a cast iron fry pan that's spent a generation sizzling up bacon.

Simple answer. Go to a restaurant supply store in your area and buy real restaurant grade pans. They aren't pretty, but boy do they cook. They have the heavy bottoms for even temperature distribution, and are typically deeper with a nice rim so you can do the "chef's flip" instead of stirring things when sauteing. They also have handles that let you finish off in the oven.

I like the Update brand. I got two years out of the coated one until the wifey let it preheat to destruction. I use a combination of coated, stainless and lodge cast iron. Get a good lodge cast iron dutch oven. You need that for braising.

Here's all you need in order of my usage

Toorbough ULL-Zeveigh said:
Dauntless said:
So my Ma moved away while i was still in college, not taking along certain things like the kitchenware that was older than me. But some of it outlasted the new stuff I bought. Now that pretty well all of it has leaked on the stove, etc.,

so there's a family history of crack pots.

tragic.

Poor comic timing is beyond tragic.

you honour me sir.
to choose my humble words above all others. :mrgreen:

fwiw exclusively use glass & other ceramic cookware.
haven't cracked one yet. :p
RomertopfClayBaker113-800x800.jpg

but to be fair don't cook a whole heck of a lot being mostly sugar fueled.
even so still prefer something inert that doesn't ionize.
stainless might be inert enuf & cast iron ions may even be good for you for all i know.
but alu is highly reactive & according to arrhenius moreso when heated.
sure glass sticks & is a pita at times but rather not chance neural tissue be part of an electrolytic soup for the sake of convenience.
a century from now they're gonna look back upon alu pots & cans the same way we view pewter & soldered food tins from the middle ages.
wtf were they thinking??

Definitely one don't,, don't cook stuff in aluminum, then just pop it in the fridge still in the pot. Then it does put metal into the food. Stainless steel won't do that, which is one reason the steel pots rock.

Pyrex is just dandy for the oven. For meatloaf or a casserole. For the really big stuff, the enamel coated roast pan, which is also glass surface. I like to smoke the big meat awhile, then finish off in the oven at 250, vs stoking the smoker for 12 hours to do a brisket.

Induction sounds cool, but a new stove is not likely to happen.

Back