Chickens

marty

1 MW
Marty got chickens. Breed is Rhode Island Red. Purchased on April 26, 2017. Think they were about 3 days old when purchased. Wife named them - Gertrude, Helen, Maxamina, and Sofie. If things go as planed? They are females and will lay eggs. I know nothing about raising chickens.

They are living in the kitchen of a vacant apartment. Think that soon they will be old enough to live outside. Want to buy a chicken coop. I can build anything but I have no time. Thinking of a plastic chicken coop? Think plastic play house. Am I thinking stupid? Chickens also need a fenced in pen. Got a place in the backyard on concrete. What should I look for when shopping for a chicken coop?

Took these pictures 2 days ago. Today I modified the feeder. Parmesan cheese jar with bottom cut off is working better. Also put something under it to raise it up so chickens don't fill it with wood chips. Chickens fly up to rim of tub. They jump back into tub. They don't fly out of the tub.
20170511_165143.jpg
20170511_165251.jpg
20170511_170113.jpg
View attachment 4
20170511_170709.jpg
View attachment 2
chick-starter-medicated-crumbles-front-copy600x600.jpg
ST40_800w.jpg

marty said:
What should I look for when shopping for a chicken coop?
- Rat, coon, stray cat, dog and coyote proof (chicken wire everywhere, including the yard)
- Raised off the ground.
- A slide out poop pan, with a washable grate (hardware cloth) floor
- An automatic door latch that opens in the morning and closes at night (assuming Marty is watching TV :)
- a roost for each bird
- a vent
- 2 to 4 ft2 per bird inside,
- 10 ft2 per bird outside

https://buffalo.craigslist.org/search/sss?query=chicken coop&sort=rel
Or maybe there are local farm kids that could make a coop for you.

Chicken tractor. Just move it every few days. Simple to mod to a plastic playhouse. Automatic self cleaning.

I second the chicken tractor. A cage on wheels with no bottom and nesting boxes a foot or two above the ground. Make it so the lower frame and wire is just an inch off the ground. Move it regularly so they don't kill the grass and to spread the fertilizer around the yard. I miss having chickens and have found store bought eggs to be flavorless.

http://www.piscatorialpursuits.com/forum/ubbthreads.php/topics/592619/1.html

That link might have some good info for you Marty.

Good luck :D

Moveable chicken tractor is not for me because I don't have a yard to move it around on. Here in Buffalo NY we get serious wind once in a while. Chicken coop will be on concrete. Anchored to concrete with fasteners or heavy weight so it don't blow away.

Idea?
http://snaplockchickencoops.com/big-coop.html
703603_565625280117478_666501637_o.jpg

No tools required
Impact resistant
Ultraviolet resistant
Water resistant
Chemical resistant
Maintenance free
Removable litter tray
Adjustable ventilation
Easy access for egg collection

PLUS:

64” by 39” by 42” tall
Larger adjustable ventilation
Four laying boxes
Three 36” roosts
Room for twelve standard breed hens
$749.00 at https://www.mypetchicken.com/catalog/Fiberglass-and-Plastic-Coops/Formex-Large-Snap-Lock-Chicken-Coop-Up-to-8-chickens-p1269.aspx

For a chicken run thinking about something tall enough for a human to walk in. Metal frame.
1JohnFoster said:
- Rat, coon, stray cat, dog and coyote proof (chicken wire everywhere, including the yard)
We got cats and rats here. According to my research ya need 1/2 inch hardware cloth to keep rats out. Where to buy a walk in chicken run that will keep rats out? Think metal frame is best material for a dog kennel type of enclosure.

marty said:
Wow, beauty, if you can justify that price.

I suppose you could haywire the hardware cloth onto a steel tube kennel structure, but that would be a ton of work. I think a DIY wood 2x2 structure then staple the hardware cloth all over would be easier.

Or for enterprising farm kids on Craigs list? There used to be chicken coop-to-order little businesses around here when they first made chickens legal, maybe there are such businesses in Buffalo?

Chickens need to walk around the yard and peck at stuff. I think you'll need to spread at least some dirt on top of the concrete to absorb the poop, ideally sod?

Chooks pretty much look after themselves, I made a simple roof sheet iron (corrigated) for mine and just let them roam but you won't have much vegetation after a few weeks and there's no foxes or other predators in these parts, these are the Hiline Brown

Attachments

• chook100_1484.jpg
    chook100_1484.jpg
    140.6 KB · Views: 3,985
I built my chicken coup out of four old exterior doors. Strong durable and I can open a door to have access to the nests and eggs. The most important thing is to give them a roost they can get to but predators can't. They can fly about five feet almost straight up no problem. They will seek the highest perch they can access to sleep. So a thin ladder going up about 4 feet then another four foot jump to a roost with fencing to keep out large predators should do the trick. Nests should be about 4 feet to five feet in the air. Nests should allow them to feel hidden but let's them see out.

Handle them often as chicks. Always be kind and gentle, birds compromise a lot of structural robustness for light weight to fly.

They behave a bit like cats in being independent, and also love to be held and petted on your lap for hours. My wife has two chickens and they come when called much more reliably than the dog. They also are excellent at balancing on your shoulder, and seem to love low speed motorcycle rides around the neighborhood perched on my shoulder.

They are also far smarter than you may initially think due to simply having different priorities than we normally recognize. Our chickens out smart the dog and hawks and raccoons almost daily. They love to lay on their backs on your lap wings and legs all layed out and fall asleep getting their belly petted. They also like to circle through your feet walking like cats do when they want to be held. They don't run away and do about anything to make sure they get into the coop around sunset.

When they grow up you can hypnotize them by gently tucking their head under one wing, then gingerly set the hen on a large fence post set in the ground with the top about chest high. Slowly and quietly back away and see how long the bird will just sit there. This can provide some barnyard entertainment when done over and over again. :lol:
(Was extremely bored on the farm as a kid, so my favorite uncle taught me this trick.)

The fingers said:
When they grow up you can hypnotize them by gently tucking their head under one wing, then gingerly set the hen on a large fence post set in the ground with the top about chest high. Slowly and quietly back away and see how long the bird will just sit there. This can provide some barnyard entertainment when done over and over again. :lol:
(Was extremely bored on the farm as a kid, so my favorite uncle taught me this trick.)

It works!

1JohnFoster said:
marty said:
Wow, beauty, if you can justify that price.
Pretty much decided to spend $749 on that plastic chicken coop. No I can't justify that price :shock: 12 eggs cost about one dollar. Yea it will pay for it's self after 749 dozen eggs, minus chicken food and other expenses. I am not the sharpest tool in the shed.

My mind is full of chicken run designs. Latest idea:
1/2 inch hardware cloth
61Crm-qE%2B-L.jpg

To keep with the plastic theme. 1"x4"x18' PVC plastic boards. They come in white. I am prejudiced and don't like white. I like colors. Colors are special order and cost more. White it will be.
708389-2.jpg

Build a chicken run with a people door and opening for the chicken coop door about 6' by 9' and 6' - 6" high. So there are no exposed sharp hardware cloth wires. Make a sandwich from 2 - 1"x4" PVC plastic boards and 1/2 inch hardware cloth in the center. Build each wall and the roof, flat on the ground. Staple or nail 2 - 1"x4" PVC plastic boards together. After walls and roof are done, bolt them together with big bolts and these:
HL33redo.jpg
Roof will be same 1/2 inch hardware cloth as the walls. Plastic chicken coop will be 24 inches off the ground with same 1/2 inch hardware cloth around the base. On hot summer days the place for shade will be under the chicken coop. We get wet heavy snow here. 4 feet of wet heavy snow makes real buildings collapse. Hopefully snow won't build up on the 1/2 inch hardware cloth roof. 1 inch hardware cloth might be better for the roof so snow don't pile up.

This is getting like my:
Chicken Foot Ladder / Design Help Needed
That took 4 years of prototypes, design, and building. Still working on that. I am still number one on Google's search for [Chicken Foot Ladder]

1JohnFoster said:
marty said:
- An automatic door latch that opens in the morning and closes at night (assuming Marty is watching TV :)
Do chickens go in the house at night? What if they want to spend the night partying outside? Why do you want a automatic door latch? Why not just have no door? Opening like a dog house?

250W Red heat lamp has been on 24 hours a day since the the chickens arrived. My chickens have no night and day. Constant light all the time. Think this is causing them to have mental issues. Neurotic Chickens?
20170426_183815.jpg

Yes they pretty much retire when the sun goes down, you can shown them their perch and put them on it to teach them and turn that light off at night they are pretty robust but depends on how cold it it where you are, maybe cover with a blanket for warmth, slaughter birds get 1 hour of lights out and 23 of feed, lights and activity before their total lights out, thats so they grow quick and no-one cares about there mental state, my coup had just an opening like a dog house but have no predators here in the fenced backyard

Garbage picked a bird cage. Not sure what it is? Think it is a bird cage? Now chickens can fly up and sit on the 7/8" x 1-1/2" wood.
20170520_092714.jpg
View attachment 7
20170520_092424.jpg
20170520_092602.jpg
View attachment 4
Ordered the plastic chicken coop. Starting to think about a metal chicken run.
s-l1600_800.jpg
Canopy fittings.
f3_1_2.jpg
p4i_2.jpg
Wondering who is manufacturer of these fittings? I like to look at drawings.

Dog kennel is good to keep dogs in. Not good at keeping other animals out. Openings are too big.

Got one of these:
bbth23x001.jpg

Plastic commercial bread tray. Fasten a bunch of these together to make a chicken cage. Without stealing, How to get a bunch of these racks?

Anyone got any other chicken run ideas?

I had a chicken once. It was killed by raccoons. Just a pile of clean bones in the morning. I gave up after that.

fechter said:
I had a chicken once. It was killed by raccoons. Just a pile of clean bones in the morning. I gave up after that.
Raccoons chew through plastic? Lets forget the plastic bread racks for now.

From Merchants Metals
Galvanized Chain Link
FABRIC

Galvanized steel chain link fence fabric is produced in a variety of gauges and mesh sizes, and is produced in heights of 36”, 42”, 48”, 60”, 72”, 84”, 96”, 120”, and 144”.

GAW fabric, also referred to as Galvanized After Weaving, is produced from wire which is first woven into fabric and then galvanized with a zinc coating.

GBW fabric, or Galvanized Before Weaving, is produced from wire which is first galvanized with a zinc coating and then woven into fabric.
guagemeshcharts3.png

Gauge – refers to the diameter of the wire used to produce the fabric; the higher the gauge number the smaller the wire diameter.

Mesh Size – is the clear distance between parallel wires forming a diamond; the smaller the mesh size, the tighter the fabric.

Selvage – refers to the way the individual ends of the wire are finished after being woven together. The wire can be “knuckled” to avoid sharp ends or “Twisted” when more security is required.

Secure-Guard® high security mini mesh fabric is used when maximum security and protection are required. The wire is woven into 3/8”, 1/2”, 5/8” and 1” mesh sizes, which make the fabric difficult to cut, climb, or pass objects through.
guagemeshcharts2.png

Plastic Chicken House has been shipped. Went to Tractor Supply and made a special order.
Stephens Pipe & Steel
DKS16106 6'W x 10'L x 6'H Complete Kennel (Silver Series)
DKR61000 6' x 10' Solid Kennel Roof & Frame
Kennelsilverportraitcolor800.jpg
675750.jpg
Looked at the 10 x 10 Stephens Pipe & Steel kennels they had in stock. Welding looked like it was done by a drunk 4 year old with poor eye hand coordination. I got a price from a local fence shop for a custom made dog kennel. Their price was way higher. As long as the welds don't break I am sure the chickens won't mind a horrible welding job. I have tried welding. I am not a welder. Would like to learn more about how to weld.

I am thinking to remove all the chain link fabric and replace it with something like the stuff in my last post.
Secure-Guard® high security mini mesh fabric is used when maximum security and protection are required. The wire is woven into 3/8”, 1/2”, 5/8” and 1” mesh sizes, which make the fabric difficult to cut, climb, or pass objects through.

Also will need to do something about the gaps in the door. Not sure what to do about that?

I would mount two wheels about a foot off the back and put handles on the opposite side. That way it would still sit snug to the ground but when you lift up on the handles you could move it around like a wheelbarrow.

marty said:
I am thinking to remove all the chain link fabric and replace it with something like the stuff in my last post.
Secure-Guard® high security mini mesh fabric ~
Gawd, looks like chainmail! I don't think rats or coons have rapiers yet :)

Why _remove_ chainlink? Just add 1/2" hardware cloth on top; stitch it to the chainlink with haywire.
The chainlink will stop coons, the cloth will stop rats. Just overlap the gaps in the doors with the hardware cloth.
Wire in some 1x2s to fill the door gaps if you feel like being skookum. Staple the hardware cloth to the 1x2's.

It's a chicken coop, it'll be filled with poop, it'll never going to be Chang-gri-la.

Chicken update - Chickens are still living in the kitchen of empty apartment downstairs. They are in the plastic chicken coop with the roof removed. Wire cage laid flat on top so they don't jump out. Chickens STINK. Time for them to live outside.

Got:
DKS16106 6'W x 10'L x 6'H Complete Kennel (Silver Series)

The roof [DKR61000 6' x 10' Solid Kennel Roof & Frame] was a bad joke. 10' pipe in a 2' box. I returned it. Easy returns at Tractor Supply :D

Bought canopy fittings at https://www.creativeshelters.com/ Like the Canopy Design App
Figures the fittings and pipe for a Kennel Cover
2x.jpg

Will buy 1 - 3/8" fence pipe at a local fence shop.
1JohnFoster said:
marty said:
Secure-Guard® high security mini mesh fabric ~
Gawd, looks like chainmail! I don't think rats or coons have rapiers yet :)

Why _remove_ chainlink? Just add 1/2" hardware cloth on top; stitch it to the chainlink with haywire.
The chainlink will stop coons, the cloth will stop rats. Just overlap the gaps in the doors with the hardware cloth.
Wire in some 1x2s to fill the door gaps if you feel like being skookum. Staple the hardware cloth to the 1x2's.

It's a chicken coop, it'll be filled with poop, it'll never going to be Chang-gri-la.
Need to look up word definitions. My vocabulary is not so good.
Chainmail - Mail or maille (also chain mail(le)[1] or chainmail(le)) is a type of armour consisting of small metal rings linked together in a pattern to form a mesh.
330px-Eastern_riveted_armor.JPG

OK looks expensive. Will forget about that stuff.
Rapier (/ˈreɪpiər/) or Espada Ropera, is a loose term for a type of slender, sharply pointed sword.
Different_Rapiers.jpg

Haywire - Chickens have gone haywire, erratic, out of control. -OR- Baling wire, otherwise known as bale wire, farm wire, or soft wire, is a type of wire used in agriculture and industry for everything from mending fences to manually binding rectangular bales of hay, straw, or cut grass. It is also used to band together corrugated cardboard, paper, textiles, aluminum and other materials that are processed in the recycling industry.
For the record Hay Baling Wire that I see on the internet is 14 Gauge. Thinking to use galvanized wire so it don't rust.
Skookum is a Chinook Jargon word that has historical use in the Pacific Northwest. It has a range of meanings, commonly associated with an English translation of "strong" or "monstrous". The word can mean "strong",[1] "greatest", "powerful", "ultimate", or "brave". Something can be skookum, meaning "strong" or "monstrously significant".

Question? 1/2" hardware cloth on top of fence chain-link on the bottom 3 or 4 feet or up the entire 6 foot high dog kennel? What to cover the dog kennel roof with? Fence chain-link or hardware cloth. No tarp because of heavy snow. Also tarps don't do well in high winds. There will be 2 triangle openings at ends of roof peak. What to cover them with? Thinking of some type of plastic mesh. Plastic mesh will be easier to cut triangle shapes then metal hardware cloth.
extruded-plastic-poultry-netting.jpg

1JohnFoster said:
marty said:
Do rats climb? Think they do?

marty said:
For the record Hay Baling Wire that I see on the internet is 14 Gauge. Thinking to use galvanized wire so it don't rust.

Ungalvanized will last years before it rusts thru. Or get aluminum; 14Ga is so easy, you can just twist with your fingers.

Do rats climb? Think they do?

They can, very high, up buildings and trees, and jump high too. Rats ate my carrots on my 3rd floor balcony. I didn't believe my wife it was rats until I saw the turds. (I didn't admit that to her either.) My friend saw one climbing aluminum flashing 5 storeys up. One nested in my bedroom ceiling, I could hear it scratching and chewing every night. I just about went crazy until I killed it. We had rats everywhere around here a few years ago.

But I think it depends on the type of rat? Most seem to spend most of the time on the ground, they scout around looking for food and entry points at ground level. I've seen lots of chicken coops in this town, they aren't as skookum as you are planning. I've only talked to a few of the owners but I haven't heard of rat problems. I just googled a bit and sounds like the rats usually just go after the feed? I always thought they stole eggs, but I can't find any verified instances. And I guess some breeds of chickens will peck & kill rodents ... cute little chickens are after all the closest living relative to T Rex.

Back