Makita Power Tool Cell Amps?

rg12

100 kW
Hey Guys,

I want to build a pack (got the plastic covers + BMS for it) for a Makita BDF453 electric screwdriver (18V)

Do you have any idea how many amps it draws?
I want to put in 2C Samsung 32E cells to have a 6.4Ah pack.

Thats a pretty tough tool, and if you intend to use it hard, you should try to replicate the original Sony VTC cell performance ...which is also pretty tough ! IE they have been shown to deliver 80-100 amps for short periods.
Does the BMS have any sort of current limiting ?

Wow, they use 10-15C cells in this little thing.
The best I've got on hand is Samsung 25R with 8C...

unless you've got a balancing bms for it use new sony vt series batteries. Lots of replica batteries use samsung and others but they go out of balance and mostly die within a year, i've tried balancing them manually but they go out of balance again within a few cycles so a waste of time.

NickF23 said:
unless you've got a balancing bms for it use new sony vt series batteries. Lots of replica batteries use samsung and others but they go out of balance and mostly die within a year, i've tried balancing them manually but they go out of balance again within a few cycles so a waste of time.

I will have a BMS on it and the cells are original.

I'd be interested to find out what BMS you are using. I looked into doing the same thing but could not find a balancing bms, so I just bought a normal makita battery. The last few I bought where replicas with Samsung cells. They were OK but went out of balance especially when heavily discharged.

Thanks. I don't think thats a balancing bms. When the cells go to far out of balance it will mark the pack as broken and the charger will refuse to charge it. You might be able to add a balancing plug when you're wiring it up. That way you could bring to back into balance again with a lipo charger if it stops working. I did think of doing that but thought I'd give the new makita packs a try as they're rumoured to have balancing now. so far so good but it's only been a new months.

No, just high quality Sony cells. The bms would mark the pack as damaged if a cell got over discharged. If you tried to charge the battery 3 times in a row it would permanently disable the battery via the bms. There was lots of complaints, batteries failing a few days out of warranty. Some people they seemed to work OK for, I think it depended a lot on charging habits and the amps the tools would demand. In my experience the aftermarket replica bms wouldn't do this (3 strikes then dead) so you had the option of balancing the pack and then charging with the makita charger as normal, but the cells were lower quality and in my experience also fail at around 1 year.

Yup, that is a bad ass cell.
They can go up to these C rates only with low capacities :(
3000mAh are max 6C (LG HG2)

Back