RIP Bob Carter / ES: bobc

My friend past away the other day from an aortic aneurysm. This was quite out of the blue and i am still not sure whether the reality has hit me yet. Anyway I thought others here might wonder why his threads are not getting replied to.

I met Bob through ES over 4 years ago (at least, i cant remember the exact date) we met to compare electric bikes and cycled to a watering hole half way between our two homes. It was and icy day and my first memory of Bob was coming round a bend and hitting sheet ice on a crazy RC lhs driven beater of a bike, and having to put both feet down on the ice to come in to land like a sea plane. We had a couple of pints, talked about our interests and agreed to do it again sometime.

Over time he was helping me on various projects involving RC driven bikes. (i still have one i need to finish which has his cycloidal drive on it). Then i got interested in EMax scooters and liked the idea of them too so he snagged one for £80. Together we have been working on replacing the controllers with lebowski controllers and largely he was nearly done. He had said this could take months maybe years. I bet now years sadly as my electronics knowledge pails in comparison to his. Over this time he has helped me on so many occasions always smiling, laughing never too down about anything.

His interests were vast in number and diverse. From electric bikes, mechanics, electric land speed record attempts, Green power racing, power generation for the 3rd world and 1st, machining & electronics. These were the things i knew about but i feel he had a great many more feathers in his cap.

I am lucky his daughter, Flo managed to find my number and let me know about the funeral which is on the 26th June.

I want to say thank you to Bob and hope that others will join me remembering a good man.

[moderator edit to add Bob's ES username
https://endless-sphere.com/forums/memberlist.php?mode=viewprofile&u=18616]

I certainly have enjoyed reading Bob`s posts.
Was always impressed by his creative projects and his ability to complete them quickly.

Sad to hear of his passing so suddenly.
Tonight I will hoist a pint in his memory and re read some of his threads.

:cry: Wow.... :(

Please pass my (our?) condolences on to his family, and let them know he'll be missed here, too.

I still haven't got his power board (or your controller board) for the Lebowski's for the SB Cruiser trike built up yet, and now I feel...strange...that he'll never know how they worked out, once I do get it done.

:/

Sad to hear about anyone passing away , but especially before old age had caught up with them.

Sounds like he had a positive impact in your life. So interesting how things can work out when good people meet.

Bottoms up.

I liked bobc from what I've read. He was doing a small laser or water cut cycloidal drive last I saw. I like to think that when we go it's to a better place. And (at least) from our mortal perspective, it's nice to go quickly, painlessly, and from something beyond our apparent control.
he'll never know how they worked out
Never say never? I doubt we have it figured out so definitely. Without knowing any better, I like to consider all the passed to be with us at some infinitesmal yet exceedingly deep level that science cannot yet fathom. Something maybe even timeless.

so I went to Bob's house to collect some of my projects we were working on together. Place had been completely tidied. Didn't seem like Bob had ever lived there. Managed to get the prototype mti power board with working lebowski board and a miniturised brain board too. Also found a paper schematic which is good since his laptop with all his projects on is locked. Hopefully I can carry on this work without him but it will be far slower without his enthusiasm, energy and knowledge. Funeral on monday. Thanks everyone who has shared their memories and condolences.

Sent from my ALE-L02 using Tapatalk

RIP Bobc, I learned much from your generous and intelligent contributions to ES!

whereswally606 said:
so I went to Bob's house to collect some of my projects we were working on together. Place had been completely tidied. Didn't seem like Bob had ever lived there. Managed to get the prototype mti power board with working lebowski board and a miniturised brain board too. Also found a paper schematic which is good since his laptop with all his projects on is locked. Hopefully I can carry on this work without him but it will be far slower without his enthusiasm, energy and knowledge. Funeral on monday. Thanks everyone who has shared their memories and condolences.

Unless he setup encryption and especially if it's windows it should be pretty easy to get into the laptop.

Let me know if you need any help if you want to mess with it or even have access to it.

RIP Bob Carter.

Those were some nice words you had for him. Thanks for doing that, I'm sure he'd quite happy to know about it.

So funeral/remembrance ceremony was today. It was a full church turn out. So good to see. I Met some his brothers and sister and daughter for the first time. Met some of his friends and hope in time I will with some of their help finish was Bob and I began. The laptop I doubt was encrypted and his brother Nick was happy for me to help retrieve the data for them in the future. Thanks ohzee but I have contacts here with the relevant skills too but that was a kind offer.

So I learnt a few things today about Bob.
1 he was was smarter than I realised and I already thought he was one of the brightest people I knew.
2 he always joked about everything which is how he concealed the vastness of his intellect.
3 he loved shopping at Aldi for everything
4 he helped so many folks, not just me in my bubble.
5 he was a pacifist, steering his work always away from anything militaristic. Although I was told his dad served in the sbs in the war. That is the Special boat service.
5. He got the only first class physics/electronics degree at Manchester university in his year and won the Marconi prize for work on 3 phase variable speed motor control.
6. He particularly enjoyed Aldi's chocolate covered marzipan.

Again thanks everyone here helping to honour a life well lived.

I would always be excited to read a post from bobc. His posts were educational and provocative.I am shocked and saddened by his passing. Sincere condolences to his family and friends. R.I.P bobc

He had a brilliant mind, will miss his posts immensely. He was an asset to the EV community.

RIP.

video from Bob

camera blew over....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j84oCTEISuo
[youtube]j84oCTEISuo[/youtube]

Back