Familiar with push service pushbullet.com?

bigmoose

1 MW
I am working on an internet of things project and starting to investigate push services to an iPhone. Is anyone up to speed with pushbullet.com 's services?

Does it just push to your phone with their phone app using the API?
Can it send an email to your phone using the API directly?
Can it send an SMS to your phone using the API directly?

bigmoose said:
internet of things project
Tell us more about your "internet of things project" There might be more than one way to skin a cat. If it helps when I want to send a text to a cell phone from a computer. I ask who is your cell phone company? Then search for instructions.
How to send text messages to Verizon customers from your PC
For example, if the phone number is 555-123-4567, type 5551234567@vtext.com

API? Here is a PushBullet Forum

Marty the nodes are ESP8266's running nodeMCU software. Each WSP8266 have 8 input pins. What we want to do is send a push to a cell phone if any pin changes state. It is best if it is a "Notification" in iPhone land where you have to notice and disposition it. Like you get with a text, or like I get with the pushbullet app installed on my iPhone described below. Basically this is to inform researcher(s) that something serious is out of kilter in the laboratory.

I have written a python script to test the pushbullet service, and it works as described on their web site. I don't yet have my WSP8266 boards from China, should arrive this week.

Since my original post, my research and testing with python shows that:
Pushbullet can push an alert to it's own app
Pushbullet *may* be able to send a native SMS without IFTTT
Pushbullet likely does not send texts. Would need a second source like IFTTT

What I always find hard when moving into new software/hardware areas are the very fundamentals are taken for granted and are not obvious to the first timer. For example, thankfully I had a friend who was a python grand master. With 3 texts she dropped my learning curve from 5 days to about 3 hours. Went from first install of python to operational pushbullet API using script that worked.

For example pushbullet does not succinctly say what they do and don't do ...specifically.
They give an API and some input/output but never say what language all that is in
Pushbullet does not give example code in any language on their site...

Once you are "up to speed" things get much easier. It is the first steps, like getting a compiler to work just once that are so hard when starting...

Thought I would add an update if anyone in the future goes down this road for an Internet of Things Project. I got the entire system working! Whooppee. Now getting push services to my iPhone for laboratory parameters.

1. Use the NodeMCU ESP8266 development board with the built in USB driver. About 4 bucks a pop on eBay from China.
2. Use the Arduino GUI compiler
3. Install the extra libraries on the Arduino compiler for the NodeMCU ESP 8266
4. Write, compile, program all from the Arduino GUI

Once I dropped using Lua language and went to the Arduino tools which use C language (note this does not add an Arduino micro to the mix. The Arduino tools compile and program the NodeMCU ESP8266) I had a functional core running in less than 2 hours! Post commands to https work perfectly with no errors. There are also many more code examples on the net for the Arduino/ESP8266 than the Lua/ESP8266.

EDIT: Got another Arduino/ESP8266 running with a great MQTTish link to the iPhone called Blynk. It is super, and free at development levels of usage.

Back