When selling stuff online classifieds...

markz

100 TW
...do you setup a meet at your own house or a public place?

I always setup a meeting in a public parking lot, usually halfway

Side note:
I was going to make a poll for this, so I read FAQ, and it seems like I do not have the permissions to post a poll.
How do I create a poll?
click the “Poll creation” tab below the main posting form; if you cannot see this, you do not have appropriate permissions to create polls.

A more interesting question might be why you insist on a public meeting place?

For myself, when I encounter a seller that wants to meet in a parking lot and remain anonymous, I have to wonder if they're up to something. Like maybe I'm being ripped off and they want to make sure I have no idea where to find them after the sale. Sure, there are some legitimate reasons that sellers will cite for behaving this way, but nevertheless it does tend to leave the buyer wondering if they're being scammed.

Makes sense Izits, but what if you live in a nice neighborhood, in very nice house, say upper middle class.
This is one of the reasons why I never setup a garage sale at my house.

The public place is where there are lots of people around so there would be nothing to worry about on both sides. Lots of lighting (middle of winter time when its dark out at 4pm)

And you can generally tell when you meet someone what they are about.

I don't disagree with anything you've said. It sounds like you're worried about being mugged by your buyer.

When I'm on the seller side, I always put the item being sold in the foyer of the downstairs entryway. This way we can come inside to talk, but I never have to take anyone through my home. All they see is a hallway and some office space. I think it serves the needs of both sides.

Anyway if they really wanted to rob me, they wouldn't need to pretend to be a buyer. They could just drive over and knock on my door with a gun in their hand.

markz said:
I was going to make a poll for this, so I read FAQ, and it seems like I do not have the permissions to post a poll.
I'm not sure, but I had thought that polls are only available in the Polls and Surveys subforum?

I was under the ASSumption I could do polls in General Discussion, but looking at Polls & Surveys thats where its done.

Izits - I am not worried of myself being personally robbed say in the parking lot, at Starbucks/Timmies/Walmart, its never happened in my life. I am 6'5" 375lbs.

Just dont want people to see my nice house, my nice neighborhood, fancy "whips" in the driveway and get any idea's in their head. Wife is home during the day.

Your idea is alright, but the buyer(s) could still get a general feel of your economic fortitude with a glance from the inside of the entryway. Yeah it might be better to do it in the garage. Have him ring the door bell and you come out, walk to the garage door and open it and do the deal there. But my feeling is, they will just know even by looking at the general state of the outside of the house, the garden and the way the house looks. Its upper upper middle class, not richie rich style by any means. Everyone wont be like that, but it just takes that one douche bag to get greedy, and rob the house. I can only assume a certain percentage of the news stories of "Home Invasions" are not drug related at all. Just some cracked out punk wanting a big score so they can party in no-tell motel.

Nope, I wont allow strangers to know where my house is, to sell a $400 item. Maybe where I work.

I just tracked your IP from this post and now know exactly where you live. And now that i know you have nice things i can sell your location to the highest bidder!

Sounds like your a bit paranoid, even if you have the best stuff in the world doesnt mean anyone else gives a shit. And if they did come steal your stuff cant you afford the best insurance?

I usually have them meet me at my place. I live in an apartment building and meeting them in the front common area. I'm generally not worried by the people that I interact with. If they are sketchy on the phone or text, I won't put in enough effort to find out. If they want to meet in a public place, I'm ok with that and usually meet at the park a block away. I've been carrying around my walkie talkie more instead of the phone.

I don't worry about it much. Where ever works for both parties. If someones looking for nice houses to rob/steal from, they don't need to go to the trouble of buying something off craigslist. Everyone knows where the rich people live. I've made hundreds of transactions, buying and selling, at my house, and at other people houses. Occasionally at a Starbucks or something. I've never had anything that I'd even categorize as a problem, almost all of these encounters I'd even consider pleasant. Some even turn into friendships. People are generally decent.

Craigslist, meet somewhere else. A known local buyer from ES is coming to the house.

Back