Tire width is a lie!

rg12

100 kW
AGAIN!

At first I've had those 24" "Halo" BS tires that are "2.6" wide which in real life are 2.3 (on a wide rim!).

Now I have this Shinko 241 19" motorcycle tire that is supposed to be 2.75 and it's not, it's 3.2! that is rubbing bad on the rear and looks like snow tires on my downhill rig.

What's up with all that crap?!

Hmmm... I've got a Shinko around in my garage that has the same problem. About 1/4" too wide.

Like how hard is it to actually measure a tire when it's mounted?

Yup the Shinko 241 was a little too wide for my swing arm, luckily the trusty razor blade helped correct the discrepancy in actual width :D

Yeah, there should be width/height dimensions posted at the tire website that indicate the rim width that they feel is ideal with tire model "X", then...show the tire width/height when mounted on the widest possible rim that would work, and then the narrowest possible rim that would work.

Wasn't someone putting together an endless-sphere tire chart table?

captain387 said:
Wasn't someone putting together an endless-sphere tire chart table?
One of these threads?
https://endless-sphere.com/forums/search.php?keywords=tire+chart&terms=all&author=&sc=1&sf=firstpost&sk=t&sd=d&sr=topics&st=0&ch=300&t=0&submit=Search

Tire size is always nominal, and it's as much a function of marketing as of engineering. If you learn to decipher the ISO markings on bicycle tires, you can make a little more sense of them.

There's a number, like 52-559 or 37-622, printed on almost all bicycle tires. The second part is the rim's bead seat diameter (the part of the diameter that matters). The first number is the tire's inflated width when mounted on a proportionally wide rim. That can be generalized as a rim having an interior width close to half of the tire's overall width.

This is an industrial standard, so it's supposed to be verifiable by measurement. But it has a noteworthy amount of variation even so.

Those ass holes should come to my house to sand my rear swing arm to make the tire fit since it's rubbing at the sidewall.

you should also take note of how wide or narrow the rim is
narrower rim will bulge sidewalls out and wider rims will lower sidewall bulge
noticed this after spending 2000 grand on superswampers and my narrow 6in rims caused the tires to rub...8in ones lessoned the bulge enough
try mounting the same tire on different width rims and measure
hope this helps
wasp

rg12 said:
AGAIN!

At first I've had those 24" tires that are "2.6" wide which in real life are 2.3 (on a wide rim!).

Now I have this 19" motorcycle tire that is supposed to be 2.75 and it's not, it's 3.2! that is rubbing bad on the rear and looks like snow tires on my downhill rig.

What's up with all that crap?!

Are you suggesting Honest Abe's Tire Company is not Honest? What is the world coming to. :lol:

Shinko SR244 for $53cdn in a 16" x 3.00 between a 4 and 3/8" chain stays on a 16 x 1.60 rim. Narrow rim will bulge tire out more. Wider rim not as much bulge. Will there be enough room?

That is the question and the gamble, $53 plus 36 10G spokes China brand. and $15 tube, $90 gamble.

It can take more weight then a bicycle setup, less punctures, should meet my needs.

I would like to revise my previous statement. I now thing every tire should be posted with THREE widths. One width is when it is mounted on the rim width that the manufacturer feels is the optimum RECOMMENDED width of rim.

Then, they should post the tire width at the fattest point on the inflated tire when it is mounted to the widest possible wheel rim that it will work on, and also the narrowest possible rim width that it will work on. We can all make reasonable calculations from those three results, amirite?

Anyone have a clue with Shinko tires if they are have decent in snow, primarily untracked powder (between curb and sidewalk) and the hard packed foot steps of sidewalk.

I guess that would depend on which one--they have at least a few tread styles and tire shapes, AFAIK. The ones I"m using look kinda like the Maxxis Hookworm or Ringworm tread. I think mine are the SR741. The 241 is more like a big knobby.

Back