Thomas fire burning thru the canyons

Voltron

1 MW
The Thomas fire is burning right into my neighborhood... Eerie to see all ones favorite canyon driving roads on the news in flames. Keeping my fingers crossed for everybody in the path... Winds are going to be brutal until after dark.

Voltron said:
The Thomas fire is burning right into my neighborhood... Eerie to see all ones favorite canyon driving roads on the news in flames. Keeping my fingers crossed for everybody in the path... Winds are going to be brutal until after dark.
Yeah. The forecasts here have been remarkably wrong. Winds here in San Diego were predicted to be ~5 out of the west, but are blowing 10-15 out of the southeast. Fortunately it's cool and damp today.

So will summer ever end in SoCal? Every time the smoke rises in the hills of Break, LA Habra, Anahiem I start sweating over it being our turn. Haven't had real rain this fall, which ends in 4 days. The wind does go away either, but at least its died down some.

I wish you luck, my house fire was bad, but only the shit in my garage burned. I really cringe when I see those bare slabs in California, people losing everything. It was a big deal that our old photos and a few antiques were saved in my fire.

If I lived near that fire, I'd be cutting every tree and bush on my property and piling it as far from the house as possible.

Consider planting ice plant all around your house foundations, 20 feet of it or more. Its full of water.

Our prayers go up for the fire victims, their families, friends, and the firefighters out there on this massive blaze. The Liberty Fire on December 7th was a couple of miles as the crow flies from where I work. We watched as a dozen or so planes circled, flew in low, and dropped massive amounts of water and retardant on it. Although scary only got some smoke and ash so had to wear a mask while working. Gave me a sore throat anyway and had to take a detour home, but only one home destroyed. The burn area is quite visible from SR 79 as a daily reminder of what happened.
We really need that new 747 fire plane to be employed to make an attack on these fires, although the wind can ground all air support when it blows like it has been doing. :twisted:
Several years ago my friend in Goleta was able on his MTB to get close to a fire that burned above his neighborhood while the roads were closed to traffic. I called him but haven't heard back from him about this fire yet.
If you have to evacuate GET OUT of the path of this killer fire ASAP!

Back