''Disarm'' a mobile phone

Debunker

100 mW
Hi, I have some old mobile phones that I never want to use again, but I find appealing the idea of turning them into small game consoles for flash, mobile games or emulators.

Even if I remove the Sim card and the internal anthena (that small chip) is the phone still emiting radiation of some sort?

I don't really like the idea of plaiyng whit a cancer inducing console...

If a mobile phone can operate all day on a battery the size of a matchbook, how much radiation do you think it can really be putting out, considering much of that energy is spent on computation only? These are radio waves we're talking about, not ionizing radiation.

By what mechanism do you propose that a phone would cause cancer? I think there would be orders of magnitude more risk from the materials in the phone than from radiation or EMF. But that still isn't much, nor riskier than anything else in our physical environment.

If you're willing to eat peanuts or live where there are cars, you've already accepted a hugely larger cancer risk.

Debunker said:
Even if I remove the Sim card and the internal anthena (that small chip) is the phone still emiting radiation of some sort?

Yes. It will still be emitting deadly cancer-causing radiation from its screen, at wavelengths between 400 and 800nm. Remember, radiation at wavelengths less than 350nm is PROVEN to cause skin cancer; why would you take a chance on radiation that is almost the same wavelength?

Slightly OT, but:

fechter said:
Most phones have an "airplane mode" that turns off all the radios.

FWIW, I have two old first generation Nooks (book reader) that Bill gave me, which even in airplane mode still goes out and check for wifi on occasion, and if it finds a wifi that doesnt' require a user to log in first, it downloads updates and installs them (interrupting you while you're reading whatever you have open) whether you want them or not (erasing all of your preferences and any books not on the SD card when it does this).

I can't see any of the wifi stuff happening, as there's zero notifications of it, but it's obvious it's doing it, as there's no other way it could've gotten updates. (it's never connected to the internet, and immediately after I powered each one on I enabled airplane mode to disable any wifi connection. Only computer they ever got connected to didn't have an internet connection at the time, and was just to upload a whole slew of books to them via USB-as-storage-device (NOT using anything other than built-in Windows drivers that auto-install), and haven't been reconnected since).

Apparently that's not true of all devices.

On the Nooks I have, it does shut it off according to the settings panel, and the browser, but it apparently only turns it off for user-access, not for it's own purposes.

On the old Samsung (3?) phone Bill gave me to use as a camera after the fire, airplane mode shuts off both it's wifi and it's celphone radio.

My actual phone (LG?) has a "flight mode" (really means airplane mode), and it warns when enabling it you won't be able to call or use internet, so it's turning both off.

The laptops that I have had with built-in wifi that had an airplane mode (or similarly-named function) disabled the wifi and the bluetooth (for the ones that had BT), basically turning all radios off.

That's all the wifi-included devices I can recall that I've actually had in my hands that I've tested that with.

Debunker said:
I don't really like the idea of plaiyng whit a cancer inducing console...

Then the best thing you can do is get educated on the subject so that you don't believe such nonsense. :lol:

:pancake: :pancake: :pancake: :pancake: :pancake: :pancake: :pancake:

markz said:
Wifi frequencies are much smaller then cellular frequencies.
2 to 5Ghz vs 1800+Ghz
Wifi does indeed use 2.4 or 5GHz - however, the WWAN radios operate at .7 to 1.9 GHz (not 1800+ GHz) 5G will extend that to 28 and eventually 60GHz.

Back