Wireless Connection from House into Garage

Lurkin

100 kW
I have a external, detached garage from our house, approximately 20 meters away. I would really like to have wireless internet in the garage on the same network etc as the house internet. We have wireless router in the house which works fine for our purposes. I can pick up our wifi within the garage with one of the doors open, but I cannot once they are closed. It seems the wifi signal cannot penetrate the garage (steel box design) without one of the doors being open.

Options:
1. find the correct device to pick up the external wifi signal and transmit it into the garage.
2. run conduit and a copper Ethernet cable between the router and the garage, then use another wireless router in the garage to create wireless in the garage.
3. run a fiber optic in the existing conduit between the house and garage which houses the 240v power cables within it.

1. This option has the least up front work but (possibly) the least reliability going forward and is totally dependent on finding the right wireless device to get it to work. Can't seem to find a device which has an outdoor antenna (to communicate with the router in the house) and an indoor antenna to broadcast within the garage. Can locate wireless repeaters with multiple antenna, but they seem to use the multiple antenna to get greater signal strength by working together and are not considered to be used independently..
2. This is the most expensive and requires the most infrastructure to be installed but is probably going to be the most reliable..
3. Not sure on the legality here in Melbourne of using conduit for both fiber optic cable and power.

Anyone got better ideas on the best way to deal with this? really like the repeater idea but a bit stuck of which device is the right one to buy...

See: Internet - Where to get it?
marty said:
Done! Working perfectly for about a year now. Thanks for all the help. I owe you all. $60 a month till the end of time. Found the internet, its about 300 feet from the shop.
?
TP-LINK TL-ANT2424B antenna and Groove 52HPn router
50' Ethernet cable from Walmart about $5. Careful with Walmart. Online price was lower then item on shelf in the store. Walked into the store and paid the online price. What a hassle that was.

Router gets power through the Ethernet cable. LED lights light up to show signal strength as you move antenna around. Instructions were confusing. Set up was easy. Not sure if the software was funky or the problem was me. Most likely problem was me. After I got the software figured out, it works perfectly. Turn the computer on and the internet is connected. Internet connection is fast, almost always on, and FREE!

On my list of things to do is mount antenna to the wall. Wire had a rough time when the snow melted. Snow pulled on the wire. That's a cast iron umbrella stand with a pipe that the antenna attaches to.

Suspect that the Groove 52HPn router works so well because of the short coaxial cable. Think there are lots of loses in this type of setup with coaxial cables.
20150406_crop.jpg
With a set up like this internet comes into computer with a Ethernet wire. No wireless. You would need more equipment for that. If I was you? I would buy a big roll of underground Ethernet cable. Conduit might only be necessary where it exits house and where it enters garage.

After stuffing around for hours to reconfigure an older wireless router as a wireless repeater, I've caved. Cable ordered, will wire from house to garage.. :evil:

Jon NCal said:
There's some ethernet devices that work through power lines. Would depend on your wiring for your buildings.
+1 on this, its what i did when i had the exact same problem as lurkin. Literally the same problem exactly and the solution was about £15 second hand off ebay and works like a charm.

The units we use that just plug in to the AC socket and transmit through the house wiring (and one to the router) provide ethernet are TP-Link and work well and easy to install and cheap.

Back