Solar Kiteboat Electrical Needs

BlueBell

10 W
I need some help completing the electrical design and purchase section of my boat build.
I am doing final design and purchase while building the hull and I need your feedback on my electrical set up if you would.
The race allows no motor so I have no alternator charging.
Here's what I'm proposing to purchase on-line.

2, 100 watt flexible solar panels
~50 amp/hr LiPo battery
My max draw is 10 amps when everything is on at once (rare).
My steady drain overnight is 1 - 3 amps depending how much I need to run the blower (2 amps, but it's on a rheostat) to ventilate my enclosed cockpit.
I also need a "mercury switch" to shut off that blower in the event I overturn, otherwise, it's pumping water into the cabin/cockpit.
My VHF radio draws 5 amps when transmitting, 1 amp when receiving and milli-amps on stand-by.
I have an intense LED spot light but that shouldn't be on much at all, more of a safety item.
Lots of "ribbon" LED's inside the cockpit, on a dimmer , LED deck lighting that should normally be off.
Navigation system (chartplotter) that should be minimal draw but I'll have to figure that one out.
I'd like to run all that through fuse/breaker/switches.
BlueSeas is a good marine line that I'm familiar with.
I would think a state-of-health meter should be in-line.
I'm okay with a bigger battery if it's more economical, as it simply provides more of a safety factor if it's cloudy for days on end.
I hope to finish the 750 mile race in 2 - 5 days.
It's 24/7 and remote so there's little opportunity for 120V shore power for charging.
It would be preferred the system be self sustaining including for the three month sea-trialing period before the race.
No 120V shore charging.
However, I will need a charge controller from the two panels.
The race is mid June at the 49 parallel, so sun energy should be plentiful.

I have taken measures to contain a LiPo fire in a sealed, 1/2" drywall box with a pressure vent to the outside.
I could mount a small CO2 extinguisher in with it on a wire-pull triggered from the cockpit.
Or just rig up a bag of baking soda above on a wax closure that melts. Thoughts?
My understanding is while a LiPo fire is unlikely, it is a catastrophic event and could put me in peril as I'm in a polystyrene, epoxy-fibre boat in a very remote, less than inhabitable area.

Thank you for any assistance in sizing and selecting appropriate components.

Is this thread in the wrong forum division perhaps?
It is not actually an electric boat, that would be against the rules of the race.
Where would be a more appropriate place for this thread?
Thanks

It's not that its in the wrong section... Its just that ES is more about EV powering with a motor, not so much boat electric layouts. You might get more response on a boat themed forum, or a solar oriented one. There's a little of what you want on here, but its mostly about putting current to a motor.

Probably wrong forum here...

I run a similar setup on my van though. I use one flexible 150W panel on a 88 amp h battery. It’s fine for running a vent through the night for the fridge and it keeps heating running. It’s all 12V on your side I guess? I use a NASA bm-1 battery monitor. Not sure if this would work for your battery. I use a normal gel leasure battery because I would not like to drive around with a lipo. Here a link to the monitor:

https://www.bottomlinemarine.com/prod_cat/P_nasa-bm1-compact--marine-battery-monitor--clipper--12v--grey_4419.shtml?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIwpOD9-Go2QIV7ZTtCh1mKgJ3EAQYAiABEgJ7gfD_BwE

I am not sure what kind of charge controller you need for the lipo. Something like this maybe?

https://www.bioennopower.com/products/12v-24v-20a-solar-charge-controller-for-lifepo4-batteries-sc-122420jud

Good luck with the race!

Cheers,

Kerim

Back