Increase mpg by atleast 25% to 40% they say

Here is their website
http://www.aquatune.com/

Random YT findings
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y-Wc-gLlpgE
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WwP-g4A9f5A

Mythbusters
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FkrQojFCUAs

ok. first problem, the energy needed to break the bonds between hydrogen and oxygen is exactly thew same as the energy produced when they recombine.

So if every step in the system was 100.0% efficient, the amount of power needed to break the water into gas would be exactly the same as the output power the motor burning that gas. or to take it a step further, the output of the generator run by the motor burning the gas made by the electricity from the generator.

the best you can hope for is unity, if 100% efficiency was possible. but to use your alternator to make fuel for the engine to run, and run a car, you would need to be able to achieve over unity

I have a few minutes on my hands right now, so...I'll chime in. I was a mechanic on a submarine for a few years, and we had an oxygen generator that used electrolysis to convert water into hydrogen and oxygen (we threw away the H2, and kept the O2 in a storage tank). We had a lot of excess electricity laying around that we could use for anything we wanted, and the Navy felt that a machine that can make oxygen could come in handy. We normally used a large snorkel to just recirculate surface air once in a while, but...clearly electrolysis works.

Pure water is actually a poor conductor, but tap water has minerals in it that make it conduct very well. For an electrolysis generator, use distilled water and add a electrolyte that you have control over its composition and purity. Salt will produce chlorine as a byproduct (bad), and NaOH/KOH seem to be popular. If you use tap water, you might have to take it apart frequently and clean the crust out of it (hard water has a LOT of minerals). If you are converting tap water to gas, the minerals will be left behind somewhere.

Hydrogen has a wide flammability range, meaning that...it will ignite very easily, and the air-mix (for adding oxygen) does not need to be at a specific percentage. Gasoline vapor needs the fuel / air mix to be close to 14:1 or it won't ignite. Its hard to store hydrogen because it will embrittle steel tanks. If you try an old propane tank, coat the inside with some kind of hydrogen-resistant coating.

Use high-quality stainless steel reaction plates, or...plan on replacing them occasionally. Alternate the positive and negative wires occasionally. Roughen all the surfaces of the reaction plates with 80-grit sandpaper. If you don't separate the electrodes (so the O2 and H2/H2 will be separate), the resulting gas will be a mix, called Brown's gas. Some people call it HHO. It makes a sweet tiny torch (from what I've seen). Use a bubbler/bong as a flashback preventer as close to the torch as possible.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eDXA7Veg6FU

I've heard it works well with 2V DC, some builders claim higher gas production with pulsing. If you are using 12V (as on a car gas system), you might consider constructing six cells in series for 2V each. Configuring plates 4mm apart seems to work well. Father away requires more amps per gas volume, closer restricts gas flow.

Here's my problem with the so called "HHO" car fuel mileage improvers. If you are trying this on a modern car with electronically-controlled fuel injection, along with an electronic ignition...the ECU monitors the oxygen sensor in the exhaust to see if you are getting complete combustion. The government is concerned that...if you are running lean or rich, that you might be producing pollution. Our concern is whether or not you are wasting fuel. They work pretty good, and today, most cars are running with very stable and complete combustion, regardless of RPM. If you are getting a complete burn with no leftover unburned gasoline, there is no extra "wasted" power that the HHO will tap into.

You can run a generator that normally uses gasoline on hydrogen or Browns gas. It will run cleaner, because there is no carbon being fed in. However, it will also have less horsepower. Gasoline is C8H18. It burns the H18, and leaves the C8 behind. Or, it makes CO and CO2 in the exhaust.

IF...you make or buy a Browns Gas (BG) generator using electrolysis. And IF...it produces a lot of gas (liters per minute). It will displace some of the air that is normally drawn into the engine. IF...you adjust the carburetor to run "a little lean" then any fuel mileage improvement will come from running lean, not from displacing air with Browns gas.

BG "can" improve ignition reliability when running lean, especially in an engine with only two valves per cylinder, in a cylinder that has poor swirl characteristics. That being said...under the best of circumstances, you might experience a 5% improvement in fuel economy, at the price of having lower power, and the requirement of filling and maintaining a BG generator.

This is not a theory, many cars have been converted from gasoline to running on propane (C3H8), and the fewer hydrogens the molecule has, the lower the power you'd get. I have heard of V8s that the owner claims it now has the power of a V6, with cleaner emissions. The fuel mileage was hard to quantify, but the fuel costs varied according to the variable price of gasoline vs Propane.

If you have a V8 with a carburetor, and you want to play with this, it can be a fun experiment. If you have a 4-cylinder with EFI and electronic ignition, I absolutely guarantee that if a 25% improvement was possible, you wouldn't be reading about it on youtube (going from 30-MPG to 38-MPG?). These are easy to make, there is no secret sauce. Extraordinary claims require extraordinary proof.

I just ran across it while searching terms like "Mild Hybrid" where you leave the i.c.e. in tact so you can run on gas, then if you choose you can flip the switch and go 100% electric with vehicle in neutral.

From the looks of the video, where the news channel did a test run it looked alright. I was thinking an older suv, 80's to 90's suv. Maybe or maybe not save a bit on batteries. Either way I keep riding my ebike and taking transit.

markz said:
I just ran across it while searching terms like "Mild Hybrid" where you leave the i.c.e. in tact so you can run on gas, then if you choose you can flip the switch and go 100% electric with vehicle in neutral.
Hmmm ? ....that is not how a "Mild Hybrid " operates.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mild_hybrid
....Mild hybrids are generally internal combustion engines equipped with an electric machine (one motor/generator in a parallel hybrid configuration) allowing the engine to be turned off whenever the car is coasting, braking, or stopped, yet restart quickly. Mild hybrids may employ regenerative brake and some level of power assist to the internal combustion engine (ICE), but mild hybrids do not have an exclusive electric-only mode of propulsion.[]...

Regarding the HHO stuff in cars....there was a gentleman I knew several years ago that was spending quite a bit of time and money setting up various versions of systems in his cars and trucks, and claiming all sorts of improvements in how they ran and mileage, etc.

But his wife didn't approve of the money spent and didn't think any of this was doing anything to help the cars/trucks, being technical enough to understand the process at least as well as he did, and also keeping the books and seeing that gas costs (per mile) went up on a vehicle when he installed an HHO system on it (meaning mileage went down).

So she disconnected the systems in all the vehicles in a way he didn't notice, and left them all that way, and kept asking him about performance. He said that mileage got significantly better about the same time she disconnected the systems (though he didn't know that's when), and most of the vehicles ran better, too. He thought it was just that the systems were all breaking in.

After a while, she told him that none of the systems were connected anymore, and had been off for some time, since right when he reported things getting better. But he didn't accept that was why, and hooked htem all up again and then insisted they got lots better...but he was now (again) spending more money on gas for them than before he reconnected the systems, though he just insisted she was doing the books wrong.

I don't know who was right or wrong, not having access to any of the actual data, but I'm inclined to beleive she was, based on what little I do know about the physics of this stuff.

Sounds like the sort of mind that also believes in a flat Earth and that the moon-landing was a hoax :roll:

Back