Motor controller display wires confusion

Tractable

10 µW
To upgrade kids quad from 800w motor, i have ordered a 2000w bldc motor with controller. The controller wiring diagram shows a three wire connector but all online lcd displays have 5 wire connectors. Any idea of a display lcd that needs three wires or how i can get 5 wires from my controller. I want to clear this before buying any speed display unit.
There is another connector with the name of "converter", what is its purpose? Thanks.

controller wirings.jpg

These LCDs are specific to the controller, so you often need to get them as a set.

Otherwise you'll have to check with the controller manufacturer (or seller) and see which LCDs they have that are compatible with it.

It's not just the number of wires, it's also the communication protocol and what data is passed to each from the other--it all has to be the same, and that's only likely to happen with the same brand and within specific model ranges / revisions of that brand.

I cant see your picture; according to the link it doesnt' exist anymore, so you'll have to attach it to your post again.

"converter" could mean many things, so without more info from the manufacturer, like a manual, we can only guess. Best guess is it's an output to run a DC-DC converter for lights from, so that it's switched on/off along with the rest of the vehicle the controller is on. But it could be something else, that doesnt' actually have anything to do with converting anything.

Thanks for the reply,
I have edited my original post, hopefully now you can view the wirings of the controller. I have tried to connect with the seller but no response yet. This controller was not offered with LCD and i had very few options online for 60v and 2000w controllers.
I was looking at this lcd

https://www.amazon.com/speedometer-universal-instrument-scooter-motorcycle/dp/B079QJS8DS/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1520166815&sr=8-4&keywords=lcd+for+60v+motor+controller

but not sure how it will connect. I was expecting similar protocol for LCD like a standardized one.
converter could be reverse function?

Like Amberwolf said, converter is probably dc-dc converter... It takes the higher voltage from the battery pack and makes it into a lower voltage for lights and horns.

This is a suggestion of the type of throttle it goes with, or maybe one that also has integrated brake lever.
images.jpeg

That's sort of a scooter controller, so it has plugs for normal scooter stuff like alarms and converters, but usually not lcd displays.

Thanks, even if a motor controller gives a speed signal to a display, how it can give actual speed of atv? As actual speed is dependent on gear ratio and tyre size etc.
The controllers do not have accelorometer etc. I came from octocopters and quadcopters background,there very sophisticated controllers are available with lot of information and loads of customization.
There was a time i was thinking that atv dc motor controller can provide even telemetey data to my mobile, (amps, voltage, gps, speed etc), that was very useful when my kids are riding in a large park. Now i see that for ride on atv's, controllers are very basic and with no feedback at all. Comparing this with copter controllers, i feel like 15 years back in time.
Anyways i want real speed display and for that i believe some magetic type is way to go.
I was interested to measure current to know when battery is near to exhaust and then it can give alarm, was looking for motor torque or load info but nothing much is available for atv.

There are controllers that have bluetooth to display stuff on your phone/tablet/etc, if you look in the for sale section here on ES there's at least a few, and probably dozens out there on other sites.

There are also units like the Cycle Analyst from Grin Tech http://ebikes.ca that can display a lot of data like speed, battery usage, distance, etc., and there are things like the Cycle Analogger that work with it that can log all that info including GPS data to a card for later analysis, and possibly output that info to something you could make an app for displaying that on the phone

Regarding speedometers, the controllers/displays have settings for wheel size. They don't usually allow you to enter a specific circumference, just to choose between certain basic bicycle (or scooter) wheel sizes, so for a different type of wheel you might have to pick one that's close, but not quite the same, so the speed and distance measurements will always be off by some amount.

Regarding the display on your existing controller, that 3pin connector looks like it has one of it's wires that goes not to the controller, but to the "integrated" connector. So most likely any display functionality it would have would be provided completely by the scooter or bike that controller was specifically designed for, and so the parts are not available separately.

You could open the controller up and see if the pads the wires all go to are labelled, and then make a list of those, and then look at all the many controller threads here on ES, some of which have some of their pads labelled with functions that have been determined experimentally. Note that just because the abbreviation is the same between two controllers' pads, it doesnt mean the function is the same or works the same way.

It's not all that likely that without knowing what display it was intended to match up with that you'll find one that does work with it, by chance. :(

Thanks amberwolf for the details, i have checked the websites you mentioned and there are better controllers available otherwise.
As soon as i recieve my controller, i will try to open up and see inside for more details especially the display related stuff.
For speed i have ordered simple magnetic type to know actual speed.
Present throttle grip is 36v, i am not clear if it will work on 60v? Can you share your ecperience on throttle grips. How to verify the present one will work or i have to order a new.

Back