Bike frame material

Leukegek

1 µW
I have a litespeed Ocoee i like to put a mid drive kit on. Is titanium a good frame to use?

I think I'd like to go about 30 miles an hour and pedal a lot in and around Washington DC.

Link to what you have helps.

Looks like you have a mountain bike frame. One thing about some MTB frames is that they cannot fit larger chain rings on them than 48t. Any bigger may rub the frame. To do a lot of 30 mph riding usually means a ratio more like 52 -11, while the 48-11 does not reach 30 mph at a comfortable cadence for most people.

Lower your expectations to 30 mph possible, but 25 mph a more typical cruise speed, and 48t front sprocket can be large enough.

Start by looking at your frame now, is the big gear close to touching the frame now? If there is a lot more space left then you can go with a bigger gear on your crank.

30mph is pretty uncomfortable on a hardtail. Consider adding a suspension seatpost. Also, pedaling doesn't help much at 30mph and up-- the added drag from flailing your legs around mostly offsets whatever pedal power you make. At lower speeds, pedaling is still a net win, and you may in fact spend a lot of your time and miles at lower speed.

If you intend to cruise at 30, don't expect pedaling to add range over whatever you can get from your battery alone. But it's doable. Either Bafang BBSHD or Cyclone will suffice, if you're of normal size.

There's nothing about the Litespeed Ocoee that would prevent installing a mid drive, but it would be a waste of a nice bike. A cheaper aluminum framed generic bike would do just as well as an e-bike (with suitable components), though the Litespeed is a much nicer pedal bike.

I ride everyday, I hardly ever pedal and 25mph - 30mph is what I do, but sometimes I just cruise behind a lycra and still not pedal. Well fake pedal yeah so lycra's dont feel ashamed.

Back