Water shorted throttle or bad controller

JamieWlcox

10 mW
It seems I am having a throttle problem today I went to go for a ride and noticed it at been raining as soon as I got on my bike I turn the power on the throttle and I believe the bike immediately wanted to take off without twisting the throttle so I powered it off and pulled the brake got the wheel to stop spinning I then turn the power back on and had more throttle sticking issues. Today the throttle stuck stopped pause stuck wide open about 5 or 6 times I made sure the bike was parked in a covered area all day coming home from work it seem like the problem had went away this throttle is brand-new only a couple weeks old I think this is the second time it has done this. I'm pretty sure it was raining the first time that's happened as well. How common are these throttle shorts or throttle sticking with these e-bikes I have a durable thin sheet of rubber laying over my throttle that stays in place to prevent water seeping into it evidently it was not doing its job but what I noticed today is sometimes when I went to activate the throttle it would not engage the motor until I spun the wheel a quarter-turn kind of like a Pas system. The controller is pedal assist compatible but not hooked up. I have not noticed this quarter turn Behavior out of the tire necessary for motor engagement until today . Would it be more likely I had water in my throttle or would it be more likely that I had water in my PAs connector or is this just a guessing game and possibly the controller as well. Will this rain shorted throttle cause the controller to fry. I bought one of those e-bike LCD controller system testers on eBay but have not received it yet. My guess is if I can reproduce the throttle sticking and unplug the throttle from the controller this will confirm controller good or bad. I have a a garbage bag over the electronics but this seems a little ridiculous. If this is so common how are there not lawsuits and accidents involved with these malfunctions

I just ordered some throttles from Greentime and they came in about 3 weeks or so. I bought the funky horizontal push with the huge thumb bit which could be over the bar for right side or under the bar for left side Then the universal left or right with square thumb bit, then the usual right side throttle with egg shaped smaller thumb bit and that one has the sweeping left plastic wire holder that is common, the problem with that one is if your hand (the part between thumb and index) touches the housing it can seem like its stuck, happens to me quite frequently. They all seem good quality

As far as getting rid of whatever possible leftover moisture that is in the throttle right now if I have unwanted moisture in something I sometimes take my electric yard blower and blow it out real good, maybe take a couple bags of desiccant (dries-z-air or whatever they call it, you can get packs of it at hardware stores) put it in a plastic bag around what you want to dry and let sit for a day or two, the stuff draws out moisture somewhat.

After I hose my Mountainbikes down to remove mud I usually blow them off for a few minutes, helps accelerate the drying process and push some of the residual moisture out of components.

It could be water in your throttle or your connectors or wiring somewhere. From your post it is impossible to know. The best thing to do is let everything dry out for a day or two and see if it all works again. If thing go back to normal, then you need to not let your bike get wet, or waterproof your bike.

If things don't go back to normal, then you may have a broken throttle. I have throttle failures every year. Sometimes as much as 4 times per year. I have yet to have one last more then one year. I keep one or two extras on the shelf for the event of failure.

First, let your bike dry out and then check it to see how it is working.

:D

Back